How much Electric is used by the morning for you?

Posted 12th Nov
Currently sits at 0.83p (13.4p per KWH) when I wake up at 7am, curious to see what others is.

Managed to get my electric down the £3 per day in the summer, but with it getting colder I see hitting more like £4 per day, Gas heating, 3 Bedroom house, 3 adults.

What are other spending, Gas not to bad at the moment
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
lumsdot12/11/2019 11:49

so you must use a lot on a cooker and maybe a tumble dryer.if you just …so you must use a lot on a cooker and maybe a tumble dryer.if you just used a microwave you would save maybe a pound a day

Have you ever tried dryig washing in a microwave
25 Comments
Maybe most of that 83p is the daily standing charge?
so you must use a lot on a cooker and maybe a tumble dryer.
if you just used a microwave you would save maybe a pound a day

so you must use a lot on a cooker and maybe a tumble dryer.if you just …so you must use a lot on a cooker and maybe a tumble dryer.if you just used a microwave you would save maybe a pound a day

Have you ever tried dryig washing in a microwave

Our oven is electric which will be changed upon its EOL not a million miles away, the hob is gas thankfully, Microwave used a fair amount.

My question for the moment is 4£ crazy amount for 3 people? just electric in gas heating home
My projection for Electricity for the year is £585 or £1.60 a day. It’s pretty close, I just need to take a reading in 10 days to be spot on.

That’s in a 5bed house with 4 people in it. I work from home, have LED lights in every fitting and make full use of my 4kW PV system on the roof.
AndyRoyd12/11/2019 11:42

Maybe most of that 83p is the daily standing charge?

Urrr we pay 20.44p for standing charge, and If i remember correctly I did input this into my meter so yes 20.44 will be included in that 84p, so 60p odd usage before people wakeup.

I have done checks with a smart plug for usage for many items and all seemed okay might have to go through and do again. What do other people typically spend
Not sure about electricity on its own, but this morning when I came downstairs at 7am, the smart meter said £1.04. That's for 1/2 hour hot water heating, and 1 hour heating (gas), plus whatever electricity we'd used.
alg12/11/2019 12:16

Not sure about electricity on its own, but this morning when I came …Not sure about electricity on its own, but this morning when I came downstairs at 7am, the smart meter said £1.04. That's for 1/2 hour hot water heating, and 1 hour heating (gas), plus whatever electricity we'd used.

Our water is heated by gas so can't even excuse it for that - Our smart meter is gauging electric only
Gumbon12/11/2019 12:10

Urrr we pay 20.44p for standing charge, and If i remember correctly I did …Urrr we pay 20.44p for standing charge, and If i remember correctly I did input this into my meter so yes 20.44 will be included in that 84p, so 60p odd usage before people wakeup.I have done checks with a smart plug for usage for many items and all seemed okay might have to go through and do again. What do other people typically spend

5kWh consumption between midnight to 7am seems kinda high. Assuming you have 10 items pulling 5W each on standby you wouldn't expect to consume more than maybe 0.5kWh total within that timeframe so something is pulling some serious power.
you gas boiler and water pump will use some lecy.

if you use a washing machine and dishwasher these may use lecy to heat up the water, depends if they are cold feed only.

an electric oven may use a max of 5kw of lecy, so that may be about 2.5 units on average for every hour it is used
fridge freezer may use 2 units a day
38965699-GkVh0.jpg
Gumbon12/11/2019 12:50

Details, rooms, people/heating on gas,Oven on gas?

2 adults, 2 children and 1 toddler. 4 bedrooms heating by gas. Electric owen and induction hob
alg12/11/2019 12:16

Not sure about electricity on its own, but this morning when I came …Not sure about electricity on its own, but this morning when I came downstairs at 7am, the smart meter said £1.04. That's for 1/2 hour hot water heating, and 1 hour heating (gas), plus whatever electricity we'd used.

I’ve refused all attempts so far for utility firms to have smart meters installed, if we go through with it I’ll just spend all the live long day watching the £ accumulate and worry about which appliance is using X amount.

It’s cold outside and we live in a house 100s of years old, I’m simply not going to worry about sticking the heating on or brewing up.
If you have gas heating why would electricity usage increase in the winter? Curious. I would have expected it to be roughly the same all year round.
Do you have an electric shower? Only thing I can think of as to why usage increases in winter.
joeydeacon12/11/2019 13:32

I’ve refused all attempts so far for utility firms to have smart meters i …I’ve refused all attempts so far for utility firms to have smart meters installed, if we go through with it I’ll just spend all the live long day watching the £ accumulate and worry about which appliance is using X amount.It’s cold outside and we live in a house 100s of years old, I’m simply not going to worry about sticking the heating on or brewing up.

When we had our boiler serviced, the guy said he wouldn't have one - he felt it was just a form of torture....

Most of the summer our daily consumption has been around £2 a day - a couple of days ago it hit £4, and that's before we hit winter proper.
mug5112/11/2019 13:49

If you have gas heating why would electricity usage increase in the …If you have gas heating why would electricity usage increase in the winter? Curious. I would have expected it to be roughly the same all year round.Do you have an electric shower? Only thing I can think of as to why usage increases in winter.

The gas CH pump + controls (fan etc) will be consuming electrical power as it frequently pumps hot water around the system in winter, maybe total 100W when active, plus lighting requirements would increase for a typical household.
AndyRoyd12/11/2019 14:01

The gas CH pump + controls (fan etc) will be consuming electrical power as …The gas CH pump + controls (fan etc) will be consuming electrical power as it frequently pumps hot water around the system in winter, maybe total 100W when active, plus lighting requirements would increase for a typical household.

Lighting would probably be the biggest extra usage, plus spending more time indoors watching TV, using computers or whatever and drinking more hot drinks because of the cold weather.

I think the central heating pump does use a fair bit. You can get more efficient electronic pumps, I fitted one when when my old pump failed, it is at least a third less wattage despite having a higher maximum flow rate than the old one and also adjusts the flow automatically saving more power and more importantly mostly stops my thermostatic radiator valves making whistling noises when the room is hot.

Even the three port valve on gas central heating, if you've got one, will use more power. As I recall, it uses no power if only hot water is on, as it would be in summer, but will continuously draw a small amount of power whenever the central heating is active and will stay powered up all night if the hot water goes off due to thermostat or timer, before the central heating turns off. Mind, it is only a tiny synchronous motor, so doesn't use that much power.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Nov
Oneday7712/11/2019 12:09

My projection for Electricity for the year is £585 or £1.60 a day. It’s pre …My projection for Electricity for the year is £585 or £1.60 a day. It’s pretty close, I just need to take a reading in 10 days to be spot on. That’s in a 5bed house with 4 people in it. I work from home, have LED lights in every fitting and make full use of my 4kW PV system on the roof.

Any gas used?
joeydeacon12/11/2019 13:32

I’ve refused all attempts so far for utility firms to have smart meters i …I’ve refused all attempts so far for utility firms to have smart meters installed, if we go through with it I’ll just spend all the live long day watching the £ accumulate and worry about which appliance is using X amount.It’s cold outside and we live in a house 100s of years old, I’m simply not going to worry about sticking the heating on or brewing up.

You dont have to watch the £ accumulate since plugging in the the display is optional.
splender12/11/2019 15:26

Any gas used?

Why yes there is. It’s roughly £800 a year or about 21,500kW.
The home insulation isn’t the best and I never turn my heating off. We do however have ever room configured, including halls and bathrooms as a separate zone. Any used rooms are are only heated to 15degreeC while main rooms 19-20C.
The zoning is done with a Honeywell Evohome Wifi setup with remote control TRVs on every radiator.
I keep meaning to rip up the flooring in the loft to raise it and add 270mm of insulation but time and inclination have prevented that so far. When done it’ll add comfort but maybe only save £50-100 a year.
The Evohome made the biggest impact as we used to be 26,000ish kW a year on gas. Though some of that is down to the PV heating the hot water now too when there is spare electric. Only our boiler is gas.
Oneday7712/11/2019 16:56

Why yes there is. It’s roughly £800 a year or about 21,500kW. The home in …Why yes there is. It’s roughly £800 a year or about 21,500kW. The home insulation isn’t the best and I never turn my heating off. We do however have ever room configured, including halls and bathrooms as a separate zone. Any used rooms are are only heated to 15degreeC while main rooms 19-20C. The zoning is done with a Honeywell Evohome Wifi setup with remote control TRVs on every radiator. I keep meaning to rip up the flooring in the loft to raise it and add 270mm of insulation but time and inclination have prevented that so far. When done it’ll add comfort but maybe only save £50-100 a year. The Evohome made the biggest impact as we used to be 26,000ish kW a year on gas. Though some of that is down to the PV heating the hot water now too when there is spare electric. Only our boiler is gas.

I was just wondering why your bill is so low. However, including gas bill, it is more reasonable.
What's that 4kW PV on your roof, how is that paying off on what you spend on it?
splender12/11/2019 17:00

I was just wondering why your bill is so low. However, including gas …I was just wondering why your bill is so low. However, including gas bill, it is more reasonable.What's that 4kW PV on your roof, how is that paying off on what you spend on it?

It cost £6.5k 4 years ago. We generate about 3.5MW of electric a year on a WSW facing roof in NE is Scotland. FiT pay about £525 a year and we save about £300. So it’ll pay off in just under another 4 years.

The saving is hard to work out as we used to use 6.5MW a year, now about 3.5MW. But in that time we added 3 rooms to the house and switched all lights to LED and other refinements. By and large LED lighting and A+ appliances make the biggest difference, assuming no electric heating.
Don’t forget your standing charges.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants