how much electricity and gas do you use per month monetary value?

Posted 4th May
Really interested to see what others are using and how many people are living in the house? so I can get an idea. it seems I’m using on average 250 units of electricity a month is that a lot? we have lots of AAA+ electric items etc and all LED bulbs using around a max of 10watts
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
No point in asking to be honest, everyone will be different and no matter what you do you will either be cheaper or dearer than the average. To many variables.
Edited by: "eslick" 4th May
Gas & Electricity is about £1200 per anuum so £100 per month
44 Comments
3 bed semi, two of us, £38 combined gas and electricity direct debit.
donny126604/05/2020 23:09

Wow that’s cheap! I’m paying £13 a week just on electricity
Justsuperman04/05/2020 23:11

Wow that’s cheap! I’m paying £13 a week just on electricity

I think it’s because I like the cold. We just turn on hot water for an hour a day for showers and electricity will probably go up now working from home instead of overseas
Gas wise, from middle of November to middle of April used:

40640359-r14Wo.jpg
Four bed detached, two adults one toddler.
BadMF04/05/2020 23:23

Gas wise, from middle of November to middle of April used:[Image] Four bed …Gas wise, from middle of November to middle of April used:[Image] Four bed detached, two adults one toddler.

Thanks what about electricity per month
Gas & Electricity is about £1200 per anuum so £100 per month
Justsuperman04/05/2020 23:23

Thanks what about electricity per month

Haven't had the bill for that through yet, but averages about £120/140 a month.
BadMF04/05/2020 23:27

Haven't had the bill for that through yet, but averages about £120/140 a …Haven't had the bill for that through yet, but averages about £120/140 a month.

Same here 3 bed semi
I’ve no idea what we use in terms of units, but I’ve been paying £60 per month combined gas and electric on direct debit, last week I switched tariff and it’ll now be decreasing to £52.80 a month. I suppose my house is “energy efficient” as it’s a new build but quite large considering and most rooms are double aspect (back to the front of the house) so have two lights and two radiators. Also I kept the heating on throughout the winter and didn’t really turn it off as my son was off school for 3 months so we were always home. I’d read somewhere previously that keeping your heating on a consistent lower temperature is better than putting it on a higher temperate in shorter bursts or on a timer (only in well insulated properties), it appeared to work as my account was in credit by just over £60 at the end of winter which I got refunded.
donny126604/05/2020 23:09

Who are you with for Gas and Electric? Will be switching soon and that seems remarkably cheap.
RYANdeals04/05/2020 23:35

Who are you with for Gas and Electric? Will be switching soon and that …Who are you with for Gas and Electric? Will be switching soon and that seems remarkably cheap.

Just moved to eon. Was with British Gas who put it up to £60 a month.
donny126604/05/2020 23:36

Just moved to eon. Was with British Gas who put it up to £60 a month.

Perfect. Shall check the out.
We pay about £105 per month gas & elec. 2 adults, 1 child, 3 bed victorian mid terrace so it does get cold. Also theres someone home all the time, so i don't think we do too badly
No point in asking to be honest, everyone will be different and no matter what you do you will either be cheaper or dearer than the average. To many variables.
Edited by: "eslick" 4th May
Around £65/month. 2 beds.
ChelseaRae04/05/2020 23:34

I’ve no idea what we use in terms of units, but I’ve been paying £60 per mo …I’ve no idea what we use in terms of units, but I’ve been paying £60 per month combined gas and electric on direct debit, last week I switched tariff and it’ll now be decreasing to £52.80 a month. I suppose my house is “energy efficient” as it’s a new build but quite large considering and most rooms are double aspect (back to the front of the house) so have two lights and two radiators. Also I kept the heating on throughout the winter and didn’t really turn it off as my son was off school for 3 months so we were always home. I’d read somewhere previously that keeping your heating on a consistent lower temperature is better than putting it on a higher temperate in shorter bursts or on a timer (only in well insulated properties), it appeared to work as my account was in credit by just over £60 at the end of winter which I got refunded.

£60 seems very good. you must not be using much electricity by the looks.. we have the tv on from 8 in morning till 10 at night 55” Sony which puts out 145 watts.i also have a gaming pc and that puts out 500 watts easy when gaming. think £13 a week on electricity for me is good
Me and my wife. Our electricity is usually £30 a month. Gas changes from £30 - £140 a month. Direct debit is set to £90 a month. 3 bed detached house built in 1913 so not energy efficient. Live in Glasgow
Edited by: "col24_7" 4th May
RYANdeals04/05/2020 23:37

Perfect. Shall check the out.

Make sure you put your yearly usage in not your price you pay each month, use something like MSE cheap energy club to check the whole market. Eon for us is £240 a year more expensive than the cheapest and other big companies beat it by over £120, just did a check.
2 adults in 2 bed is about £20/month with Octopus energy. In minds switching to eon who is coming in best rate.
Justsuperman04/05/2020 23:40

£60 seems very good. you must not be using much electricity by the looks.. …£60 seems very good. you must not be using much electricity by the looks.. we have the tv on from 8 in morning till 10 at night 55” Sony which puts out 145 watts.i also have a gaming pc and that puts out 500 watts easy when gaming. think £13 a week on electricity for me is good

We’re definitely using a fair bit of electric, my son has a terrible habit of having one of the TV’s on upstairs whilst also having the living room TV on downstairs (so he can go between two different films or programmes), sometimes whilst on his Tablet or Switch at the same time, his other bad habit is always leaving lights on too(skeptical) and still sleeps with a lamp and night light. I don’t like to dry washing outside so only ever dry it in the tumble dryer (bar delicate materials I put on the radiator). My oven and hob are both electric. My son has an illness which means often I have to put the washing machine on for very small amounts of washing too. Plus we’ve also always got other devices plugged in/charging (Alexa, games consoles, phones, laptops etc), so all in all I wouldn’t say our consumption is low! That being said I also am with Eon, as a someone above have said.
Edited by: "ChelseaRae" 5th May
We pay £100-110, 2 adults & 2 year old in 3 bed semi. We're not particularly tight with it, would rather be warm than shivering in winter but don't really waste it too much either. Although I often find most of the lights are left on but energy saving bulbs dint use a great deal anyway.
About £75 last couple of months, in old stone cottage.Electricity only here.
rimalpatel00704/05/2020 23:50

2 adults in 2 bed is about £20/month with Octopus energy. In minds …2 adults in 2 bed is about £20/month with Octopus energy. In minds switching to eon who is coming in best rate.

So under £5 a week for gas and electric? Do you not have heating or TV's? I thought mine was ok at £80 a month combined!
RYANdeals04/05/2020 23:35

Who are you with for Gas and Electric? Will be switching soon and that …Who are you with for Gas and Electric? Will be switching soon and that seems remarkably cheap.

That's freakishly low use. Virtually not using energy. You'll probably have to slash your usage to match that
Biggest con is the standing charge over the summer, but they all do it now
3 bed semi - 2 Adults
Currently paying £80 for gas and electric per month
First house together so it’ll be a year in october where i can review how the whole year went, have to submit readings every 3 months but so far very less credit on my account - with Eon
3 bed semi, 2 adults, £160 per quarter electricity and we have district heating so I can put £50 in around now and that will last til about beginning of September. We have a warm house so that's standing charge and hot water which is literally pennies to use. The minute you use the heating though it's a gobble monster. Quite a large house and although warm does need some heat, can probably get through £70 a months worth in winter so it balances out over the year.
2 bed flat, two of us. Electricity use is about 130-150 units a month (no TV). We switched to Outfox the Market in December mainly for the low standing charge as our gas consumption is also quite low. No complaints so far.
On only electricity and with horrible electric heating and single glazing in a little 2 bed house. Varies a lot from month to month on the weather. I could manage without heating a lot of the time but I have custody of my little one most of the time so can't have it too cold. If heating and things were used minimally around £60 a month. Easily double in winter.
3 bed 2 people 20 year old property, £55 a month for both.
3 bed all doubles 2 people mid terrace 4 in a block 2 people £48 a month for both
4 bed detached , 3 adults, gas hearing and hob, £65/month for dual fuel. Annual Electricity consumption around 3000 Kwh and Gas 12500 Kwh.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 5th May
About £65 a month for both. Large 1950’s three bed detached house.

Haven’t insulated the loft fully yet but have recently got new windows which made a difference.

British Gas. They actually have competitive prices recently.
Edited by: "MattNorfolk" 5th May
Try Yorkshire energy, I tend to look at the unit and standing charges prices the lower the better
Eon, 3 bed terraced with 2 adults and a teenager. Joined in November paying £77 now dropped to £55 - so would probs be average of £66 over 12 months. Mainly on the electric i think.

Monetary value is not always the best way to compare energy - everybody will be on a different tariff and their payments will have also been adjusted based on whatever credit / debit they might have accrued on their last bill.

250 units a month is pretty normal very electric - thats 3,000 per year and according to Ofgem (link below) this would fall under Medium usage.

You don't mention gas - if you use electric to heat your home then 250/month might change when it comes to winter. If you have gas then you have to use a calculation to figure out gas kwh because gas meters measure in either meters cubed (metric - m3) or cubic feet (imperial - ft3) ... your gas meter should display this somewhere if unsure or you could check your bill. Link below for the calculation

Either way, your energy statements from your current supplier should provide you with an estimated annual consumption kwh for gas and electric as well as how much this would cost and if there are cheaper tariffs available, so best to have a look at this.

Always best to check your tariff, if you are on any kind of Standard tariff without a fixed end date then chances are you are paying the top rates. Use a comparison site and input your annual kwh consumption to get the most accurate quotation for alternative tariffs and don't be afraid to switch.

Source: Worked for big six energy company for the last 10 years.

ofgem.gov.uk/gas…ues
theenergyshop.com/gui…kwh
shef007205/05/2020 07:52

Try Yorkshire energy, I tend to look at the unit and standing charges …Try Yorkshire energy, I tend to look at the unit and standing charges prices the lower the better

Switched from SSE (£102 per month combined) to Yorkshire (£52 per month combined) 3 months ago. We are now in credit by £26. Doesn't sound a lot, but you do pay monthly in advance, so we are actually using around £44 per month. The standing charges are around £40 per month cheaper, combined. Switch was easy, just input your meter readings each month and get a bill within minutes, though your direct debit stays the same.
I haven't had any reason to use customer services, so can't comment on them.
£100 a month, 6 people. 1970's 3 bed mid-terrace
Edited by: ".MUFC." 5th May
Cheapest for me is Avro energy, due to needing to claim warm home discount for disabled person.
Next is Eon about £3.00 a year more, but must fit smart meters to keep tariff. I dont want one.
The best priced is Yorkshire energy @ £50 a year cheaper but no warm home discount.
I got loft insulation @ £1 a roll on one of those old MSE deals.
Doubled it up and took off about £100 a year of gas and that was on a 9 year old house.
When it snowed my house had a full roof of snow about a week after everyone elses had melted.
£35p/m - one person in a one bed flat on electricity only on eon (was previously on Octopus paying similar)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions