Groups
    EXPIRED

How much electricity does a computer use?

Banned
    Anyone have a rough estimate of how much it costs to use a computer per hour.
    Talking about home use but with gaming from time to time.
    For certain reasons I am presuming about 5p - 10p per hour but this is mostly guesstimating.
    Power supply is 450w and there is a 19" wide screen LCD.
    Radeon 5770 card and an AMD hexacore processor if it helps.

20 Comments

Depends largely on the type of computer, and what the computer is doing. There are ways to make computers save power if you do not want a new computer such as adding more ram, and ensuring the hard disk is turned off when not in use.

Wattage of the power supply does not mean much. Also note some cheap power supplies will use lots more power than an energy efficient one which provides closer to the actual demands of the computer system.

The only sure-fire way for you to find out how much your system uses is to buy one of those plug in electricity usage monitors.

My PC used to be on 24/7, but mainly idle, my energy monitor seemed to think it was £4 per month when it was switched on. None of this information is very scientific, but it's all i've got

350Watts or 0.35KWh. Desktop+Monitor+printer. Not gaming.

That means in 3 hours it will use one unit of electrc (1KWh) = approx 18pence.

PCs use aroound 120-130 watts when just surfing etc ,That is unless you are using a quad core with a massive overclock,

Original Poster Banned

So are we in broad agreement that it is between 5p and 10p an hour more or less?

Banned

Villa

So are we in broad agreement that it is between 5p and 10p an hour more … So are we in broad agreement that it is between 5p and 10p an hour more or less?

less than that!

about 100-120W plus about 25W for monitor = 145W is about 3-4KWh for 24 hours so about = 40p per day or 2p per hour.

Original Poster Banned

csiman

less than that!about 100-120W plus about 25W for monitor = 145W is about … less than that!about 100-120W plus about 25W for monitor = 145W is about 3-4KWh for 24 hours so about = 40p per day or 2p per hour.

Right, but if the computer is only used for say 5 or 6 hours a day and left off the rest of the time, then what is the figure likely to be per day? under 10p?

Banned

Villa

Right, but if the computer is only used for say 5 or 6 hours a day and … Right, but if the computer is only used for say 5 or 6 hours a day and left off the rest of the time, then what is the figure likely to be per day? under 10p?

LOL - I'm sure you can work that one out!

It will be a bit more than that with those specs; at idle I would expect the base unit will draw close to 180W with that graphics card+CPU (depending largely on the efficiency of the PSU), at load that will rise to a bit over 300W, Given electricity prices vary based on your supplier, where you are and how much you use, its hard to give a very accurate figure, but I would say 4p per hour that the machine is on is what I would be working with.

Whatever the costs are it is likely to be at the very bottom of the list that using the most electricity in your house. Turning off just one of the lights in your house that isn't being used probably pays for the whole days worth of pc. if looking to cut electricy costs look at lighting, heating and anything which washes or dries.

greg_68

Whatever the costs are it is likely to be at the very bottom of the list … Whatever the costs are it is likely to be at the very bottom of the list that using the most electricity in your house. Turning off just one of the lights in your house that isn't being used probably pays for the whole days worth of pc. if looking to cut electricy costs look at lighting, heating and anything which washes or dries.

Not really true, unless that 'just one of the lights' is a set of 6 50W halogen spots or similar. An energy saving bulb will use between 10W - 20W, you could have at least a dozen on and use less power than the PC...

More succinctly, anything which uses electricity to produce heat, be it a cooker, electric heaters, dryers, kettles, toasters, incandescent lightbulbs etc is what eats power. All that said, if you are in a house where you rely on electricity for heating, having a computer when its cold isn't all that bad - the 150W it consumes produces exactly the same amount of heat as 150W from an electric heater (or anything else...)

Original Poster Banned

Wife has been moaning that the computer is draining electricity and pushing the bill up.
    I suspected this wasn't entirely true but wanted clarification; hence this thread.
    So I can go back to her and say that it's costing less than 20p per day, if that.

Thanks all.

Villa

Wife has been moaning that the computer is draining electricity and … Wife has been moaning that the computer is draining electricity and pushing the bill up.I suspected this wasn't entirely true but wanted clarification; hence this thread.So I can go back to her and say that it's costing less than 20p per day, if that.Thanks all.

Main offenders are the washing machine and tumble dryer along with anything that gives you speed over time. So kettle I fear will be her problem.

Banned

Villa

Wife has been moaning that the computer is draining electricity and … Wife has been moaning that the computer is draining electricity and pushing the bill up.I suspected this wasn't entirely true but wanted clarification; hence this thread.So I can go back to her and say that it's costing less than 20p per day, if that.Thanks all.

does she use a tumble dryer......;)

Original Poster Banned

Dishwasher; tumble dryer; washing machine.
    All in use everyday (large family).
    Lot of tea drunk hence purchased a more powerful kettle which I think drinks electricity like crazy (but boils the water in a few seconds).

I guess the computer is negligible in comparison.

Adam2050

Main offenders are the washing machine and tumble dryer along with … Main offenders are the washing machine and tumble dryer along with anything that gives you speed over time. So kettle I fear will be her problem.

I have one of those Npower monitor thingies. Usually shows as 3p /hr when everything is off (obviously things like clocks/microwave etc are still running)
    With 2 PC's running it goes up to around 12p /hr

Washing machine, Oven, microwave, kettle all use a fair bit.
    I find the biggest drain is the shower - it shoots up to £1 /hr for that.

Tell the wife not to shower, it costs about 20 times more than a PC

Banned

Villa

Dishwasher; tumble dryer; washing machine.All in use everyday (large … Dishwasher; tumble dryer; washing machine.All in use everyday (large family).Lot of tea drunk hence purchased a more powerful kettle which I think drinks electricity like crazy (but boils the water in a few seconds).I guess the computer is negligible in comparison.

tumble dryer is your culprit. Uses loads of electricity unless on economy mode (one dry will use more than your pc uses in a month!)

Just to add in to an odd topic:

Wattage x Hours used / 1000 = kWh x unit cost = Total cost.

Running a computer and monitor that draws 145 watts over 8 hours would use 1.16 kWh which is about 15p (or 0.145kWh and 1.9p per hour). Using this everyday for a month would cost about £4.20p and for a year about £50.4p

I wonder how much, day rate lecky was, 3 years 4 months ago.

stigzeee

Just to add in to an odd topic:Wattage x Hours used / 1000 = kWh x unit … Just to add in to an odd topic:Wattage x Hours used / 1000 = kWh x unit cost = Total cost.Running a computer and monitor that draws 145 watts over 8 hours would use 1.16 kWh which is about 15p (or 0.145kWh and 1.9p per hour). Using this everyday for a month would cost about £4.20p and for a year about £50.4p

15p an hour for both?

That's cheaper than I thought, thanks for sharing.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What to do?????23
      2. Virgin Media Superhub 3 Settings55
      3. Good Sim only deals??611
      4. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)1424

See more discussions