Groups

How much food do you reckon or know you chuck out each month

Banned
    Just out of curiousity how much do you waste/chuck out etc,etc

I throw very little and when i do i am well peed of, can honestly say from xmas to now, i have chuck out 6 cheese triangle, and one portion of trifle, i hate throwing anything

54 Comments

Us Brits throw 25% away apparently. I rotate everything in fridge/cupboards and plan meals when stuff is getting near date. Got to say, I'm pretty good at not wasting!

I'm ashamed to say I chuck out quiet a lot of just last night I chucked out a whole portion of cooked rice because I forgot to put it in the fridge and my boyfriend said I would get ill if I ate it.

Have been trying to freeze leftovers lately to save money though

Depends where I get the sheesh kebab from at the weekend but I don't throw out a lot.
    Try not to have too much in the fridge because of the waste.

bout tree fiddy

nothing....
    any waste we have gets fed to our hens, they then return the favour with lots of eggs

Nothing because its wasteful....We eat the lot

Original Poster Banned

superskilly;7703117

nothing.... any waste we have gets fed to our hens, they … nothing.... any waste we have gets fed to our hens, they then return the favour with lots of eggs

can they eat anything?

i throw loads out some times the whole contents of my bottom fridge draw ( vegtable bit) i just forget whats in there also, . when we bring the shopping in and put the new stuff in the fridge we normally have a full carrier bag to go in the bin oopsie ......

Original Poster Banned

mostwanteddirect;7703216

i throw loads out some times the whole contents of my bottom fridge draw … i throw loads out some times the whole contents of my bottom fridge draw ( vegtable bit) i just forget whats in there also, . when we bring the shopping in and put the new stuff in the fridge we normally have a full carrier bag to go in the bin oopsie ......

oh my, so how much in money do you think you chuck out each week/month?

mostwanteddirect;7703216

i throw loads out some times the whole contents of my bottom fridge draw … i throw loads out some times the whole contents of my bottom fridge draw ( vegtable bit) i just forget whats in there also, . when we bring the shopping in and put the new stuff in the fridge we normally have a full carrier bag to go in the bin oopsie ......

Soups are great for using up veg and you can freeze it too for a quick meal (or supper) :thumbsup:

Quite a lot i reckon but it's because we like a lot of choice in the house and always keep loads of different fruit and veg in for the kids and cakes/treats for me :-D

It is wasteful but i'm not going to spend my life regimented to set meals etc to save money or feel guilty that i have food.

I'm always throwing bread out,sometimes eggs,this week some tomatoes and cucumber and 2 jars of sausage casserole that were in the cupboard out of date.

Banned

deb8z;7703328

I'm always throwing bread out,sometimes eggs,this week some tomatoes and … I'm always throwing bread out,sometimes eggs,this week some tomatoes and cucumber and 2 jars of sausage casserole that were in the cupboard out of date.

Do you throw your bread to the birdies.

I do :thumbsup:

deb8z;7703328

I'm always throwing bread out,sometimes eggs,this week some tomatoes and … I'm always throwing bread out,sometimes eggs,this week some tomatoes and cucumber and 2 jars of sausage casserole that were in the cupboard out of date.

Feed them to Darren............his guts are made of iron i swear. :lol:

DLM;7703340

Do you throw your bread to the birdies.I do :thumbsup:

If i do that then the birdies become a meal for the cats. Think they prefer not having the scraps. lol

Banned

Syzable;7703349

If i do that then the birdies become a meal for the cats. Think they … If i do that then the birdies become a meal for the cats. Think they prefer not having the scraps. lol

Our birdies are very good at keeping an eye out for predators:-D

DLM;7703340

I tried that the other week in my garden,i ended up sweeping it up last week,i wasn't impressed.

My sis used to take it to the park to give to the horses when she was walking her dog but she doesn't go now.

A while ago i tried throwing some for the birds on some unadopted land and one of my neighbours complained it was unsightly lol

Original Poster Banned

DLM;7703340

jeeze cant afford to do that, it gets used for toast :oops:

Banned

deb8z;7703379

I tried that the other week in my garden,i ended up sweeping it up last … I tried that the other week in my garden,i ended up sweeping it up last week,i wasn't impressed.My sis used to take it to the park to give to the horses when she was walking her dog but she doesn't go now.A while ago i tried throwing some for the birds on some unadopted land and one of my neighbours complained it was unsightly lol

The birds mustn't like your area.

We have quite a few trees here they enjoy trying to get me out of bed in the summer :x

We had 2 pidgeons pecking round the garden yesterday.

They always come here for their nosh :-D

deb8z;7703379

My sis used to take it to the park to give to the horses when she was … My sis used to take it to the park to give to the horses when she was walking her dog but she doesn't go now.

Have the Gypsies taken over your local park??? :w00t: Ours has swans and ducks. lol

I bin loads, its a massive sore point in this house.

Banned

sassie;7703391

jeeze cant afford to do that, it gets used for toast :oops:

We don't throw out loads.

Just my crusts that I am not keen on or bread that my fella hasn't eaten in his pack lunch.

deb8z;7703328

Stale bread... make bread and butter pudding or toast :thumbsup:

Syzable;7703397

Have the Gypsies taken over your local park??? :w00t: Ours has swans and … Have the Gypsies taken over your local park??? :w00t: Ours has swans and ducks. lol

We have ducks and swans too,but we have lots of land in the massive park and it has stables:p

I would never eat anything past it sell by date, hate bread thats been opened longer than 2 days, milk and pop if theres a bit left in the bottom it gets binned rather than drank....so u can imagine the crap i get into!!

gal2792t;7703414

Stale bread... make bread and butter pudding or toast :thumbsup:

I don't cook if i can help it:w00t:

Original Poster Banned

Lulu'sMammy;7703444

I would never eat anything past it sell by date, hate bread thats been … I would never eat anything past it sell by date, hate bread thats been opened longer than 2 days, milk and pop if theres a bit left in the bottom it gets binned rather than drank....so u can imagine the crap i get into!!

i take it hubby isnt amused

sassie;7703451

i take it hubby isnt amused

Nope. Not in the slightest lol!

Original Poster Banned

Lulu'sMammy;7703462

Nope. Not in the slightest lol!

does it not bother you, when i chuck anything i get so peed its like chucking money into the bin, gawd i sound such a tight **** :oops:

Banned

sassie;7703468

does it not bother you, when i chuck anything i get so peed its like … does it not bother you, when i chuck anything i get so peed its like chucking money into the bin, gawd i sound such a tight **** :oops:

You have to be a tight wad in this country.

Everything is expensive and jobs aren't easy to get :x

Any other leftovers i give to my sis for her dog,even milk!

sassie;7703198

can they eat anything?

pretty much, tend not to give them meat or chicken but in stews etc thats usually what goes first.
    They love spoilt fruit etc.

sassie;7703468

does it not bother you, when i chuck anything i get so peed its like … does it not bother you, when i chuck anything i get so peed its like chucking money into the bin, gawd i sound such a tight **** :oops:

Nah i don't give it a thought, just try to do better next month but never do.

deb8z;7703481

Any other leftovers i give to my sis for her dog,even milk!

Bye bye dog then.

Hey! How about starting a 'What you can cook with leftovers' thread? Or a 'what you can freeze' thread? All of us must have some tips etc to share. I try not to throw food away. When I was a nipper we didn't have a lot of money or food so we tended to eat what we were given, whether we liked it or not!

Tell you what. I'll start it now!

I'm using phone at moment so the link is just the last page of the forum but you might want to check it out

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…107

Very little is thrown out in my household or when it is it's served two purposes before it hits the bin. Even freeze veg peelings for use in stock making before discarding & chicken carcass is used again for stock & the big bones after that are given to folks parrot who loves the marrow.

I am like you sassie, we throw very little away, sometomes if stuff needs to be used up I will cook a few meals then freeze them to save cooking another day. It does help I suppose that the eldest two kids, husband and dog all eat loads so if I mention stuff needs eating, I usually find the fridge cleared within the hour!!

Banned

cant believe so many people chuck bread away! just keep it in the freezer and get some out 10 mins before you want to use it!

hardly ever chuck food away and dont believe the stats that 25% of food gets chucked out on average

Two of us spend about £40 a week on food (£3 per day each), eat healthily and never have ready meals.

csiman;7706593

cant believe so many people chuck bread away! just keep it in the freezer … cant believe so many people chuck bread away! just keep it in the freezer and get some out 10 mins before you want to use it!hardly ever chuck food away and dont believe the stats that 25% of food gets chucked out on averageTwo of us spend about £40 a week on food (£3 per day each), eat healthily and never have ready meals.

Unless it's for toast i can't stand bread from the freezer it tastes stale:w00t:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just an thought regarding Paypal22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 234
      3. Finally got a Xbox one s11
      4. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!56

See more discussions