HOW MUCH for IMPORTATION TAXES on LAPTOP (USA - UK or USA-ITALY)

Found 16th May 2012
Hi all,

I want to buy a laptop 17''. and i found a couple of very good deals from Usa biulder: directly from Sager or from Powernotebook.com.
they think is they would be affordable even with a very high shipping cost, but...
does anyone know how much the importation taxes would be on the top of that?
and..they are the same for all Eu country? cause i can have the laptop posted to italy too.

thanks for your help

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
6 Comments

you would pay the tax when it get to its final address eg uk the value on cn22 @ 20% call hmrc or visit hmrc buying aboard page

if you buy from usa you may be able to claim american tax back upon export
Edited by: "shortchanged" 16th May 2012

Banned

Although, I have ordered many items from the USA and never been charged import duty.
Needless to say all were sent with USPS.

Original Poster

how to claim the Usa tax back for export?

thanks

Banned

cejiogu1

Although, I have ordered many items from the USA and never been charged … Although, I have ordered many items from the USA and never been charged import duty.Needless to say all were sent with USPS.

$5 tats don't count.

Banned

jjjovi

how to claim the Usa tax back for export?thanks

there's no duty on laptops from US, all you pay is 20% VAT.

sales tax refund works best if you shop in US in person. Think at least Louisiana refunds sales tax on export. It's state dependent. Some states like Delaware don't have sales tax, so there's nothing to refund.
Edited by: "kunyk" 11th Jun 2012

Banned

cejiogu1

Ummm okay.Was talking about £100+ itemsPaying VAT is not 100% definite, … Ummm okay.Was talking about £100+ itemsPaying VAT is not 100% definite, if you know the sender you may ask for them to mark the item as a gift to reduce likelihood of paying VAT.

whatever.

you can get away with not paying VAT on some small items, eventhough their actual value is above the value, where VAT payment applies. but not on laptop.

besides that, he's buying the laptop directly from the shop. there is no way to avoid paying VAT there, as they would never undermark the value (for insurance purposes) nor mark it as gift.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions