How much hot water do you use a day?

Posted 2nd Jul
No heating on for last few months so our Gas usage is just hot water
Oven is electric and taking reading from days when did not use gas stove.

We currently have a hot water tank and it comes on twice a day, once in the morning for 2 hours and again for 3-4 hours at 6pm, we use 8-10KWH of gas for this.

Curious to hear what others use, both people with immersion and tanks
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening. Does us for washing pots and the kids bath.
Mine's showing around 4-5kwh per day for hot water tank, which is just me and just for hot water to taps (electric shower, electric cooker). It's just set for 2 hours every morning but in reality it shuts off much sooner than that when the tank reaches temperature.

Also interested in other people's usage as considering changing hob at least to gas.
winzzz02/07/2020 14:37

30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening. Does us for washing …30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening. Does us for washing pots and the kids bath.

you not have baths?

anyway what does that time use in KWH usage per day?
My usage for the last week seems to be about 6-7kwh per day for gas. This only heats the hot water at the moment.

Thats for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Running a system boiler into a Megaflo 210Ltr tank in the loft. Its timed to come on twice a day but obviously only if temperature isn't hot enough.
Have baths every day, one for all kids before bed, wife then has one too (I'm a shower man). Oven is electric.

According to Ovo

You used 536.23 kilowatt hourkWh less energy this month compared to last month. In June 2020 you used 551.71 kilowatt hourkWh of gas at a cost of pounds £18.58.

Electricity bill in winter is just over £200 a month and £50 for gas.
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 2nd Jul
MrKrabs02/07/2020 16:23

Have baths every day, one for all kids before bed, wife then has one too …Have baths every day, one for all kids before bed, wife then has one too (I'm a shower man). Oven is electric.According to OvoYou used 536.23 kilowatt hourkWh less energy this month compared to last month. In June 2020 you used 551.71 kilowatt hourkWh of gas at a cost of pounds £18.58.Electricity bill in winter is just over £200 a month and £50 for gas.

£250 per month????
That is crazy amount.
Most we paid £90 per month for both, now £67 after switching suppliers in Autumn. that is for 5 peole, cooking everyday, large house but new build so well insulated, combi boiler and heating thermostats upstairs and downstairs. And I like my house warm.
AMaky02/07/2020 16:49

£250 per month????That is crazy amount.Most we paid £90 per month for b …£250 per month????That is crazy amount.Most we paid £90 per month for both, now £67 after switching suppliers in Autumn. that is for 5 peole, cooking everyday, large house but new build so well insulated, combi boiler and heating thermostats upstairs and downstairs. And I like my house warm.

We're the 30 mins in the morning 30 mins at night for the hot water too. Mainly for dishes and kids bath. I tend to have a shower.

Usually pay about £100 a month for gas and electricity which balances out over the year - and the boiler we have was ancient when we moved in. And that was nearly 14 years ago.
MrKrabs02/07/2020 16:23

Have baths every day, one for all kids before bed, wife then has one too …Have baths every day, one for all kids before bed, wife then has one too (I'm a shower man). Oven is electric.According to OvoYou used 536.23 kilowatt hourkWh less energy this month compared to last month. In June 2020 you used 551.71 kilowatt hourkWh of gas at a cost of pounds £18.58.Electricity bill in winter is just over £200 a month and £50 for gas.

£200 a month on electricity we use between £25-35 a month
I heat a hot water cylinder by immersion heater using solar panels over the spring-autumn period - average this year is about 7kWh/day (that is just two adults in the house).

A typical domestic gas boiler is 50-60,000 Btu/hr - 14-17kW - so your boiler is probably only running for a few minutes each session. Experiment to see if you can get away heating the cylinder just once a day as this will save you the inefficiency of the boiler having to heat up to temperature. Worth setting the cylinder temperature a little higher so that you have more energy stored in it to try and achieve the once per day heat up.
AMaky02/07/2020 16:49

£250 per month????That is crazy amount.Most we paid £90 per month for b …£250 per month????That is crazy amount.Most we paid £90 per month for both, now £67 after switching suppliers in Autumn. that is for 5 peole, cooking everyday, large house but new build so well insulated, combi boiler and heating thermostats upstairs and downstairs. And I like my house warm.

We have underfloor heating in hallway, kitchen, downstairs bathroom and conservatory, usually set to 30 during winter mornings so I feel like a Chinese dancing bear, set on timers. Only switch it off during summer. No radiator in kitchen, dining room or conservatory and as it open plan it's harder to trap the heat. Also electric fire in living room which kids also like to leave on. Rarely dips below 23 in our house in winter!

That's for 5 people too.
MrKrabs02/07/2020 17:58

We have underfloor heating in hallway, kitchen, downstairs bathroom and …We have underfloor heating in hallway, kitchen, downstairs bathroom and conservatory, usually set to 30 during winter mornings so I feel like a Chinese dancing bear, set on timers. Only switch it off during summer. No radiator in kitchen, dining room or conservatory and as it open plan it's harder to trap the heat. Also electric fire in living room which kids also like to leave on. Rarely dips below 23 in our house in winter!That's for 5 people too.

Blimey, until it drops to 16 degrees the heating stays off in our house!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants