How much is acceptable for a shaving brush?

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Hi all. I'm moving to double edged shaving from Gillette blades.
I have purchased an Edwin Jagger razor for £16 from here and I have been told that £7.50 for 12 Arko soap sticks is a good deal.

Can anyone point me toward a reasonably priced shaving brush or advise what I should be looking for in one?

Also, apart from blades, is there anything else in missing?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
This Proraso one has served me since 26th Nov 2017 (from my Amazon history lol). Might be cheaper elsewhere. Personally use the Taylors of Old Bond Street tubs.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Aim to pay around £8.50>£9.50. Use around 2.5>3 tubs in a year shaving every other day normally.
feelunique.com/p/T…50g

Always read the Taylor brushes good but they normally quite expensive. Spotted the below while looking up the shave cream for you. Normally alone the brushes are around the £24 mark.
feelunique.com/p/T…Set

Amazon has Price matched also.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 30th Dec 2019
Don't buy more than one arko stick. they are ok but average (good for the money though)

Styptic pencil bought?
Palmolive soap stick better foam often for similar price to arko.
Best shave foam I've found to date is Proraso amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1 (for example)
Brush, get one with a plastic hanger, that way you can just buy a cheap one still! I use my cheap one for travelling, the pricier one (about £7) is my main go to.

amazon.co.uk/Wil…-15

amazon.co.uk/Wil…1-8
Hi, great your making the transition.

I found this one a good starter brush. Cheap but still soft enough to apply easily. Available at most supermarkets.

wilko.com/en-…BwE
I think the basic question is badger or synthetic. I have an edwin Jagger badger brush that I got on ebay for £20 or so. Bristle is coarser/stiffer than hair. synthetics seem very variable.

Just looked up the arko - doesn't look great to me. try shavedash.com/ for samples
mogsog30/12/2019 18:35

Hi, great your making the transition. I found this one a good starter …Hi, great your making the transition. I found this one a good starter brush. Cheap but still soft enough to apply easily. Available at most supermarkets. https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilkinson-sword-bristle-shave-brush/p/0345690?nst=0&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICA3faoBnSuRrt0ygdxtwWMkainJDx_uEp37DJLdRvVq8t9ujEyj77pRoCPTcQAvD_BwE

Can't find it online but I swear I seen Asda had those on offer for around £2.50-£2.60 at the weekend.
Thanks for that recommendation Cecil.

Mr Gus, I haven't bought a static pencil but they are £2 from boots so I will buy that.

Your two links seem to have the same brush (apologies if I am wrong) except one comes with a tub of soap. Does one use foam as well as soap?

I already have a can of Gillette foaming gel, can I use that (with hands) until I get the brush and soap?
cecilmcroberts30/12/2019 18:38

Can't find it online but I swear I seen Asda had those on offer for around …Can't find it online but I swear I seen Asda had those on offer for around £2.50-£2.60 at the weekend.

Yeah almost all supermarkets stock it.
OP ... Give the shaving foam away! ..nasty thin stuff.

The different links were in case you wanted to try a variety of soap types ..just like a razor blade to find what works for you!
hotukdeals.com/dis…386

A thread for DE shaving, I'd recommend a pure badger one can be decent, and Astra Platinum blades.
Mr_Gus30/12/2019 18:59

OP ... Give the shaving foam away! ..nasty thin stuff.The different links …OP ... Give the shaving foam away! ..nasty thin stuff.The different links were in case you wanted to try a variety of soap types ..just like a razor blade to find what works for you!

Give it to your mum!
MadeDixonsCry30/12/2019 18:42

Does one use foam as well as soap?I already have a can of Gillette foaming …Does one use foam as well as soap?I already have a can of Gillette foaming gel, can I use that (with hands) until I get the brush and soap?

Use whatever works combination for you.
Thanks for the info all.

Much appreciated
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions