Expired

How much is my ps3 worth to sell?

Found 30th Sep 2013
Hello,

I was chatting to someone in the pub who tells me my PS3 is quite rare, and I should probably sell it.

The PS3 is a UK launch model, I have a receipt from launch day, with the full box etc.
The PS3 is piano black, it was 60GB and has full backward compatibility, the specific model number is CECHC03, it has never had YLOD or any issues at all, the security seal is still intact.

I have custom fw on it, its currently on 4.46 rogrego, and its not banned, I have no issues with going on PSN etc.
I put a 500GB hard drive in it too.

I have a couple of controllers, the camera and move light controller, plus a selection of (old) games.

I have to say, I dont usually play it at all which is probably why it has lasted all this time, so inside its probably in really good nick.

Im thinking quite seriously about selling it, but dont want to be ripped off or price it too high that I get ripped to shreds! There are a fair few original ps3's on ebay, but none appear to have the larger HD and firmware capabilities that mine does.

Cheers

Gary
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Not a solid answer but I have one of those too... as they play up and start overheating and finally getting the YLOD... not many people want them... hence why they are going for chips at the moment.
maybe you should do a deal with penguinman93, he's asking about buying a ps3
Im sure you will appreciate that we both have different interests at heart, he is looking for cheapest, and im looking at most expensive! Haha,

GoldenWonder; This version of the ps3 is the most sought after, its rare because it was expensive on launch, has b/c, 4 usb's, and built in wifi. You are correct that these ps3's are YLOD material which in my opinion adds to the value of my one because its never really been used, its in mint condition with seal intact etc.
What chips do you expect to get from any ps3 anyway?
Hmm i see what you're saying. I guess I initially thought you may be thinking that you're onto a winner due to it's rarity!

My one is on its way out, it doesn't last longer than 5 minutes before overheating.

...Don't know what to do with it!
Well best of luck selling it. Maybe eBay would be the way to go, I suspect most people want the slim or hold on for the 4 now. Thing is gaming wise the wireless on the ps3 is unstable and slow and 4 usbs is good but most don't use them. Unless a museum wants it, it's still a five year old console

Edited by: "Musician" 30th Sep 2013
use it as media player in another room, good for streaming and watching Netflix/nowtv on plus blueray
GoldenWonder

Hmm i see what you're saying. I guess I initially thought you may be … Hmm i see what you're saying. I guess I initially thought you may be thinking that you're onto a winner due to it's rarity!My one is on its way out, it doesn't last longer than 5 minutes before overheating....Don't know what to do with it!

Stick it in the oven... no really!
I would be interested OP but would not pay more than around £100
You would have got more if it did not have custom firmware on it and if it had vanilla F/W before they took out OtherOS
Edited by: "wellen1981" 30th Sep 2013
The firmware can be downgraded in a matter of minutes if required. I think maybe I have unrealistic expectations for the price, I will do some more research and thinking before selling.
I too have a original launch model phat 60gb with 4.46 cfw (rebug) with a 740gb hard drive in. To be honest I don't think you'll get too much for it 100-150 max. The main benefit of the launch model was backwards compatibility and since this is easily achieved via cfw which is already installed it's a moot point.

I'd rather have a slim with CFW than a launch model phat tbh.

The seal being intact is good but I don't think it'll make much difference.
bobjohnson

I too have a original launch model phat 60gb with 4.46 cfw (rebug) with a … I too have a original launch model phat 60gb with 4.46 cfw (rebug) with a 740gb hard drive in. To be honest I don't think you'll get too much for it 100-150 max. The main benefit of the launch model was backwards compatibility and since this is easily achieved via cfw which is already installed it's a moot point.I'd rather have a slim with CFW than a launch model phat tbh.The seal being intact is good but I don't think it'll make much difference.

Please do tell us more about this CFW.

First I've heard of it. oO
Not to worry, googled it. Thanks for the info.
multiplewicked

The firmware can be downgraded in a matter of minutes if required. I … The firmware can be downgraded in a matter of minutes if required. I think maybe I have unrealistic expectations for the price, I will do some more research and thinking before selling.

I think you're right, but I would still go for ebay with maybe a £75-£100 reserve, bundle it up with any controllers, games,manuals box (all adds to value) etc.
Do some nice photos and a description of exactly what it is and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Ship via myhermes to keep the costs down and use a 10 day auction to get more interest and free listing weekend to list it.
I sold an original 360 like this last year and I think I got around £110 for it which surpised me considering how old it was.
Best of luck

Edited by: "Musician" 30th Sep 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions