How much is reasonable to supply and fit wooden gate and fence panel?

Found 17th Jul
We have been quoted £225 for someone to supply and fit a wooden gate next to our house and a fence panel next to the gate. The gate will have locks fitted and at least one wooden post will be supplied and fitted between the gate and fence panel. The fence panel will need to be cut to size.

Does this quote sound reasonable? Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare this with as no other builder has shown an interest in this job.

Many thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Does it sound unreasonable to you?

Off the top of my head, materials required ;

Gate - £80+
Locks - £10+
Fence post - £8
Fence panel - £20
Postfix - £10

Materials ; £128 or thereabouts..?

Adjusting fence panel, installing new post, hanging new gate, fitting locks, £100 labour sounds reasonable to me..
Edited by: "andynicol" 17th Jul
16 Comments
Does it sound unreasonable to you?

Off the top of my head, materials required ;

Gate - £80+
Locks - £10+
Fence post - £8
Fence panel - £20
Postfix - £10

Materials ; £128 or thereabouts..?

Adjusting fence panel, installing new post, hanging new gate, fitting locks, £100 labour sounds reasonable to me..
Thanks. Broken down like this thequote is easier to understand.
Far too much imo, we had a large double gate and 5 fence panels bought and fitted for £430.
Snakeyes64622 m ago

Far too much imo, we had a large double gate and 5 fence panels bought and …Far too much imo, we had a large double gate and 5 fence panels bought and fitted for £430.

I'm guessing a lot will depend on where abouts in the country you are, as labour rates can vary enormously between regions
Thats a fair price.
That's reasonable.
I'd be happy with that.
Snakeyes6462 h, 44 m ago

Far too much imo, we had a large double gate and 5 fence panels bought and …Far too much imo, we had a large double gate and 5 fence panels bought and fitted for £430.

Do you have a breakdown of costs?

Large double gate - £120+(?)
5 fence panels - £20 each
6(?) fence posts - £8 each
Postfix - £50

£130 labour or thereabouts is not unlike he OPs quote when you break it down really.
Post set
£5.15
Buy 3 for £4.60 each
wickes.co.uk/Han…381
No one has said what height panels or posts so its all guess work, same as the gate.
Is it 6feet hight or 3 feet high or 5 feet etc.
Also the quaility will reflect the price of the panel.
Edited by: "fearona" 17th Jul
fearona3 h, 35 m ago

Post set£5.15Buy 3 for …Post set£5.15Buy 3 for £4.60 each https://www.wickes.co.uk/Hanson-Fast-Set-Post-Fix-Powder-Maxi-Pack/p/177381No one has said what height panels or posts so its all guess work, same as the gate.Is it 6feet hight or 3 feet high or 5 feet etc.Also the quaility will reflect the price of the panel.

Of course its guesswork with the info the OP has provided, if anything the prices I guessed are on the low side..
andynicol20 m ago

Of course its guesswork with the info the OP has provided, if anything the …Of course its guesswork with the info the OP has provided, if anything the prices I guessed are on the low side..

I'm agreeing with you lol
Thanks everyone. That's all very helpful.
andynicol4 h, 46 m ago

Do you have a breakdown of costs?Large double gate - £120+(?)5 fence …Do you have a breakdown of costs?Large double gate - £120+(?)5 fence panels - £20 each6(?) fence posts - £8 eachPostfix - £50£130 labour or thereabouts is not unlike he OPs quote when you break it down really.

Nope sorry, just a company called Bradford brothers came and and looked at what we wanted and quoted the above.

£225 for a small gate and one fence seems steep.
Edited by: "Snakeyes646" 17th Jul
Regardless of what others think - you’re paying it, are you happy with it? It doesn’t matter if the fitter is making £200 profit or £200 loss - either you’re happy to pay it to get what you want or not.
Sounds reasonable
If it was me I'd buy the individual pieces of wood needed and build it myself.

Always question whether a quote is the best price and look around for better prices.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants