How much is your water/electricity/gas and council tax per month?

Found 3rd Apr 2015
Hi guys

I'm due to move out from my parents house for the first time shortly, and I'm sorting my finances out this evening. I'll be living alone in a 1 bedroom flat.

Could you give me a rough idea of how much you pay per month for water/electricity/gas and council tax? Obviously this all varies on circumstances, so if you could state how many adults/children there are in your household and if you live in a house or flat.

I know it's a very personal question, but you'd really be helping me plan out my budgets I've never had to pay these bills before and literally have no idea how much utilities can cost per month, I'm totally clueless at the moment! Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you

34 Comments

we live in rural Cumbria in a three bed house. there are two of us and a dog.
council is £1660 per year and water £250. Electricity is about £35 a month. No gas, as we use oil, another £600 per year.
Probably not too helpful, but happy to share.

Sorry, one more thing.
Good luck and enjoy the time you have for yourself... It will be great!

It's worth knowing this - You’ll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:
you live on your own
no-one else in your home counts as an adult

gov.uk/app…unt

Edited by: "PD101" 3rd Apr 2015

A lot!! Avoid prepayment (complete rip off). Check regularily to see if anyone is offering cheaper deals. Water will be around £7-8 per week dependant on where you live. Gas electric between £100-£160 per month (based on direct debit) good luck and enjoy

Council taxt will be around £1100 per annum.

Natalie what floor you looking at living on

TV license
Do you have a car?
Do you have a mobile phone
Do you need broadband landline phone
Fares to work?
Contents insurance?
Food?

spiffytools

we live in rural Cumbria in a three bed house. there are two of us and a … we live in rural Cumbria in a three bed house. there are two of us and a dog.council is £1660 per year and water £250. Electricity is about £35 a month. No gas, as we use oil, another £600 per year.Probably not too helpful, but happy to share.

£35 on elecy that's impressive!
Me say ct £150 e £60 g £60 w £50 per another stuff food petrol etc etc if lots! Nmd mortgage! 3 adults, Good luck

2-bedroom house in Milton Keynes for a couple with a toddler. £83 council tax pm (includes 25% student discount), £46 gas and electricity, £30 water, £24 tv, broadband and telephone.

as others have said avoid pre payment meters and pay by direct debit.
I've just moved from a 2 bed terrace (2 adults), C.Tax was £1100pm but you'll get single person discount. Gas & elec was £70pm Water was £22pm, TV licence is £12ish. Home insurance if just contents £10ish if buildings & contents £20p

council varies greatly depending on where you live.

Banned

For council tax check your area band, band A is £900 in our area, 2 bed.
Your gas and electricity could be £50 ish a month.

Why don't you compare online instead of asking us.
We don't know we're you live.
Look on energy deals online as it only takes 2 mins

One bed house for Me and better half 102 a month council tax. 32quid water rates. Gas 30 a month leccy 60 a month (both on meters but gas will b zero in summer as only had gas fire) hope it helps
(and do me disabled mums drying so prob less if I didn't on the leccy)
Edited by: "nitelighter" 3rd Apr 2015

Well firstly avoid pre payment meters. When you move in go onto u switch and change to a cheaper supplier if u not already with a cheap one...

As people have said you will be eligible for 25% for council tax.

You need to think about broadband.. R u having a home phone? If not get pay as you go or contract stick,.. I use to pay £15 but now got broadband and a home phone for £15

Buildings and contents it's £8.07 for me there is 3 of us

Water £20 - it depends on what u use
Gas and electricity £44
Council Tax £100
Tv licence £12
Rent / mortgage
You got food to consider
Toiletries
Cleaning products
Laundry if you don't have a washing machine

It's hard... But my advice set yourself up direct debits... Avoid getting into debt... It's a learning curve so if you make mistakes big deal... You live and learn eh... Good luck to you I hope it goes well xx

Get a home with a decent energy efficiency and no water meter (unless you use very little - no pool parties or car washing etc) if you can.

Hard to compare utilities because of the variables but do try and use only the energy you need to use.

From your description I would budget £230.00 pcm for council tax, electricity, gas and water.

Student house in Middlesbrough, 27 a month on water and 15 a week on gas and electric (total) the joys of meters! Use the heating all the time and there's always a **** ton of electrical items on

I live in a 2 bedroom semi in huddersfield with my partner and we pay out on a monthtl basis :

£60 on gas and electric but varies on whe we have the heating on
£40 water non metered bill but it Yorkshire so waters the best around

The obvious add ons like Internet

Wow you guys got really cheap gas elec, iam paying 90ish for gas and 100 for electricity,, southern electric and yes its a 3 bedroom house.

Comment

secretmsg

Wow you guys got really cheap gas elec, iam paying 90ish for gas and 100 … Wow you guys got really cheap gas elec, iam paying 90ish for gas and 100 for electricity,, southern electric and yes its a 3 bedroom house.

U need to switch x

Original Poster

archer1204

Natalie what floor you looking at living on

Will be 1st floor, not ground floor.

3 bed semi glasgow, council tax £165 per month, gas & elec dual fuel total £75 per month

welcome to the adult world.

The best information that you can ever get is via adviceguide.org.uk
There are lots of information about budgeting (in the debt area), benefits (including Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Working Tax Credits), Energy and water supply. It's all well laid out and only includes external links to areas which it has quality checked. In particular you may find turn2us.org.uk and entitledto.org.uk

get a water meter as long as only 1-2 people, anymore then you will start to go above the rated cost. here 1-2 started £7 a month, then started creeping to £13, noe with 3-4 people its nearly £40 a month. gas £38 and electric £31 on a 3 bed 4 people house.

natalieb89

Will be 1st floor, not ground floor.

ground floor assuming their heating is on will warm your flat. it did in my first flat

Shazadi_786

CommentU need to switch x

wow your getting ripped off

Think my council tax is way too high but not much I can do about it! (I have checked) Our council is incredibly inefficient!

Banned

JLA92

I live in a 2 bedroom semi in huddersfield with my partner and we pay out … I live in a 2 bedroom semi in huddersfield with my partner and we pay out on a monthtl basis :£60 on gas and electric but varies on whe we have the heating on £40 water non metered bill but it Yorkshire so waters the best aroundThe obvious add ons like Internet

Yorkshire Water is a rip off.
We pay £500 a year for a 2 bed house, iv argued loads of time but they can't do anything about it.

4 bed detached house Penwith Cornwall. 5 adult occupancy
tax 200
gas 65
electric 95
water pay only for water to house 28 (private drainage)
anual total devided by 12

2 bedroom back to back house

£60 electric pcm
£45 Gas pcm
council tax varies from £20-30pcm

secretmsg

Wow you guys got really cheap gas elec, iam paying 90ish for gas and 100 … Wow you guys got really cheap gas elec, iam paying 90ish for gas and 100 for electricity,, southern electric and yes its a 3 bedroom house.

Switch and also look at efficiency measures, double glazing, insulation, cavity wall insulation etc..
I'm in a large 4 bed detached and pay 78 per month year round for gas and electric, compared to your 190.
I don't exactly sit in a cold dark house either, heating on and lots of lights. But all lights are energy saving and heating system is newly installed (2 years old).

Rural Devon/Cornwall border, detached old stone built three bed with another stone built detached two bed annexe,
No mains gas.

Electric £100 month.

Water £0 per month (own private supply).

Heating oil £700 year.

Logs for log burner £0, (own bit of woodland).

Council tax £1850 year.

I know this of no use whatsoever to op, but it makes me feel a bit better about some of my bills.

Oh, p.s. two adults, three dogs, two horses, half a dozen geese, and varying amounts of chickens depending on how hungry/cunning the fox is!

Don't forget living on your own will bring in a massive cost saving of 50% off your annual Council tax or maybe 25@ but I'm sure someone will correct me on which one it is ,Gas /elec 50 a month ust TOPCASHBACK for insurance i got full buildings and contents for only 60.00 a year via quoteme happy,co,uk

AStonedRaichu

2 bedroom back to back house£60 electric pcm£45 Gas pcmcouncil tax varies … 2 bedroom back to back house£60 electric pcm£45 Gas pcmcouncil tax varies from £20-30pcm

That seems a bit cheap to me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants