Expired

How much labour charge to install a new boiler?

Found 12th Sep 2013
Boiler has packed in at my parents home and I'm getting quotes to have a new one installed. Its a large boiler (has to heat 22 radiators) and so its probably on the large end of a domestic boiler. I've been quoted £4500 for the job, but having a look around the boiler itself (same model etc) is only £1800. The engineer has said it will take 2 days to complete the job, so I was wondering what a reasonable labour charge would be on top of parts so that he's made a living from his hard work.

1. Ask
  2. Boiler
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Boiler
15 Comments

Depends on quite a few factors, is it being relocated, New pipework installed etc. Seems expensive.

I know that condensing boilers have to be used and they require a drain for the condensate, extra work.
What's to stop you advertising for a suitably qualified engineer with tools for 2 days work, you are employing and supervising him, references required? Say. a grand or less?
Cash in hand, it's his responsibility to pay the taxes..?
I Would recommend that you get another quote or two...

Edited by: "scottswaha" 12th Sep 2013

Original Poster

moob

Depends on quite a few factors, is it being relocated, New pipework … Depends on quite a few factors, is it being relocated, New pipework installed etc. Seems expensive.

The new boiler is going into the same place as the old boiler, the only addition is the flue will be redirected externally via a different route. I would imagine the pipework wouldn't need a great deal done to it.

Original Poster

scottswaha

I know that condensing boilers have to be used and they require a drain … I know that condensing boilers have to be used and they require a drain for the condensate, extra work.What's to stop you advertising for a suitably qualified engineer with tools for 2 days work, you are employing and supervising him, references required? Say. a grand or less?Cash in hand, it's his responsibility to pay the taxes..?I Would recommend that you get another quote or two...

Thanks for the reply, I will be getting a few quotes but just wanted to know peoples opinions what I could haggle with on the price.

Do not use British Gas.

Original Poster

raptorcigs

Do not use British Gas.

Thanks. point noted

Does sound quite expensive. I would suggest that a daily labour rate would be between £200 & £250 so the rest of the quote would be made up of parts. Does the quote detail what will be done ie new pipework, flue, power flush etc? Then we can see if the breakdown seems right. For example if the engineer is doing a power flush then that could add on another few hundred pounds, you will find that most manufacturers require this to validate the warranty. If the quote isn't detailed then ask for a list of what is going to be done on the job. You need to know what you're paying for!

i recently had a new boiler installed.

cost of the actual boiler was about £1200, the plumber then put a magnaclean on and also did a chemical flsuh.

Charged me £1450

We have put a fair bit of work his way so that was heavily discounted. Father in law got same job done with his boiler being moved a few feet and got charged £2050

Your boiler guy is trying to take you for a ride

Original Poster

kingtreelo

i recently had a new boiler installed.cost of the actual boiler was about … i recently had a new boiler installed.cost of the actual boiler was about £1200, the plumber then put a magnaclean on and also did a chemical flsuh.Charged me £1450We have put a fair bit of work his way so that was heavily discounted. Father in law got same job done with his boiler being moved a few feet and got charged £2050Your boiler guy is trying to take you for a ride

Thanks for that info. I feel the same.. got another engineer coming tonight so fingers crossed he's a little more reasonable.

do you have anyone who recommend one?

i would get at least 4 different quotes and ask them to break the price down for you. i did this and the guy we eventually went for was basically installing it for nothing due to the amount of work we got him through recommendations

he even gave us a breakdown of what parts we would need and the extra cost of moving the boiler(this came to £500 but we didnt get it moved in the end)

your being overcharged mate. go onto sites like mybuilder.com and rated people for quotes. your probably looking at a high powered domestic boiler or a commercial bolier. i guess around 50kw. its a simple changeover ,even if it takes 2 day it shouldn't be more than £500- £700 for the labour. how can u justify £2500 labour in 2 days. there's plenty people out there that need work people like this just try there luck knowing people dont realise and need it doing asap. if u can tell me what boiler it is i find out the price of it.

also theres a really good price for a boiler on ebay see if it suits ur requirements. ebay.co.uk/itm…8ba

You're being ripped off, I'd say it'd cost 1k max.

Original Poster

kash2013

your being overcharged mate. go onto sites like mybuilder.com and rated … your being overcharged mate. go onto sites like mybuilder.com and rated people for quotes. your probably looking at a high powered domestic boiler or a commercial bolier. i guess around 50kw. its a simple changeover ,even if it takes 2 day it shouldn't be more than £500- £700 for the labour. how can u justify £2500 labour in 2 days. there's plenty people out there that need work people like this just try there luck knowing people dont realise and need it doing asap. if u can tell me what boiler it is i find out the price of it.

I will check on rated people if tonights engineer doesn't come with a reasonable price. Also thanks for the link to the Boiler. That actually seems really good and would be ideal for my needs. Will keep an eye on it.

£200 to £400 to fit boiler max, god only takes 3 or 4 hours surely.
Edited by: "Daytrader" 12th Sep 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants