Posted 19 March 2014

How much (on average) does it cost to tint rear windows on a car/mpv?

Vehicle: Ford Galaxy 1.9 2002

How much would it cost? Just an estimate?
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    krazyasif786

Another question ... does tinting the windows increase insurance … Another question ... does tinting the windows increase insurance premiums? Do you have to declare it?

It's difficult to say. Many won't care, some will refuse cover.

I think the general rule within the industry is that a car should be as it was supplied by the manufacturer (including options) and replacement parts should be of equal quality.

So say your car came with Ford 16" alloys but was available with 17" ones and you later put the 17" ones on then this is within specification. But say you want 18" alloys and Ford never offered 18" then it is a modification outside the manufactures specification and should be declared to the insurance company.

So replacing the glass with genuine Ford tinted glass will be fine. Most insurance companies generally focus and things that change the driving characteristics of the car (lowering, engine mods etc). Adding window tint adds none of this. Some might take a dim view (no pun intended!) of it as it will increase the likelihood of your car being broken into.

But in reality you can ask them or not tell them and hope for the best.
    GAVINLEWISHUKD

He is asking about rear windows. There is no legal requirement to have … He is asking about rear windows. There is no legal requirement to have any visible light pass through (just like a van).

apologies, i didn't see the 'rear', which is unusual for me ;-)
    £100
    £100- £120 for a decent job
    pistol6000

£100- £120 for a decent job

Lol, it's £250 near me for a good job, it can't be done on the side of the road, has to be done in a building with the right air conditioning systems so it's not full of dust.
    To take the windows out to do a professional job around £600, however there are company's that do botch jobs a lot cheaper. Depends on how good a job you want
    Author
    Cool. Also is it more expensive for the tints that are 'tinted on the outside' but when you're in the car they aren't dark?

If that makes sense? You know like in limos you can see what's outside but the outside can't see you? Is there a special name for these? Or are all tints like this?
    You might want to look at replacing the glass from the scrappers with factory tinted glass.
    Author
    GAVINLEWISHUKD

You might want to look at replacing the glass from the scrappers with … You might want to look at replacing the glass from the scrappers with factory tinted glass.

Another question ... does tinting the windows increase insurance premiums? Do you have to declare it?
    please bear in mind, you can only have your windows tinted to a certain 'darkness'

a friend of mine had his peeled off at roadside by the police as they were too dark. He had actually bought the car with them like that, but if you get stopped, it could be cash down the drain if they are too dark
    Back windows can be as dark as you want, but the fronts are a max of 20% (or there abouts).

To have it professionally done local to me its around £120
    kingtreelo

please bear in mind, you can only have your windows tinted to a certain … please bear in mind, you can only have your windows tinted to a certain 'darkness'a friend of mine had his peeled off at roadside by the police as they were too dark. He had actually bought the car with them like that, but if you get stopped, it could be cash down the drain if they are too dark

He is asking about rear windows. There is no legal requirement to have any visible light pass through (just like a van).
    Author
    GAVINLEWISHUKD

It's difficult to say. Many won't care, some will refuse cover. I think … It's difficult to say. Many won't care, some will refuse cover. I think the general rule within the industry is that a car should be as it was supplied by the manufacturer (including options) and replacement parts should be of equal quality.So say your car came with Ford 16" alloys but was available with 17" ones and you later put the 17" ones on then this is within specification. But say you want 18" alloys and Ford never offered 18" then it is a modification outside the manufactures specification and should be declared to the insurance company.So replacing the glass with genuine Ford tinted glass will be fine. Most insurance companies generally focus and things that change the driving characteristics of the car (lowering, engine mods etc). Adding window tint adds none of this. Some might take a dim view (no pun intended!) of it as it will increase the likelihood of your car being broken into. But in reality you can ask them or not tell them and hope for the best.

Hmm I thought tinting your car would add security? I guess it makes it stand out a bit more and people being curious peep inside... lol they won't find anything apart from a baby car seat:)

Whats the best strength to go? 80%? 75% ...
    krazyasif786

Hmm I thought tinting your car would add security? I guess it makes it … Hmm I thought tinting your car would add security? I guess it makes it stand out a bit more and people being curious peep inside... lol they won't find anything apart from a baby car seat:)Whats the best strength to go? 80%? 75% ...

No it adds risk. Why do you think vans get broken into all the time.

As for how dark you want it's personal preference. No a fan myself I think it looks naff. Best thing to do is visit an installer and he will have samples to help you decide.

Personally. If the reason you want to tint is to shade your baby then buy some baby shades to stick to the window and or replace the glass. You are a responsible parent and not a chav or drug dealer.
    If its just one rear window, I would do it myself and buy the tints odd ebay . rear window would cost around £60 in london
    Tinting rear passenger and back windows isnt illegal at all. You are not allowed to tint the drivers or front passenger window what so ever. Some people think it looks big and hard to break the law and do this but the true fact is that if you have any sort of accident the police and VOSA will invalidate your insurance and then your in big trouble. Just do it right and tint the correct windows and enjoy.
    yay thread back from the dead
's avatar