how much should a conservatory cost?

11 replies
Found 3rd Jan
er indoors is looking a conservatory, im thinking 4mtrs by 3mtrs, are they a good investment?

10 Comments

Mine cost 10k about 10 years ago but it is pretty big, just recently had it all refurbished but if I had the money again I'd get a decent extension with skylights, conservatories are cold and damp in the winter unless like me you have a decent oil radiator on 24/7 besides central heating and in the summer that are too hot and I have a roof that blocks out 50% of light!

Orangeries seem to be popular these days. Like a conservatory, but personally I think they look much nicer. Not sure whether they are better at dealing with the issues mentioned above though.

Depends on the size, groundwork required as well, as Zetec Andy says, an extension may be better value, I have one with so called "self cleaning glass" it's ****!! Would like to put a solid roof on, but that's an additional 5k,
Too hot in summer, too cold in winter,

better off with a small extension with lots of windows. conservatories are freezing in winter and boiling hot in the summer.

Had a p shape built 12 years ago for 8000 on mates rates currently getting the pollycarb roof replaced to a light weight tile roof to make it more usable for 10000 quid

Original Poster

thanks for the info everyone, im thinking a timber framed extension might be the way to go

matthews9479

better off with a small extension with lots of windows. conservatories … better off with a small extension with lots of windows. conservatories are freezing in winter and boiling hot in the summer.

Just what I would have said.

Remember to budget for the cane furniture to go in it.

As others have said it cost more but a proper extension is the way to go,
you will regret a conservatory

I haven't seen many good looking conservatories.
After a few years they look pretty dirty unless you spend a lot of time cleaning them.

Freezing in winter so not really used, boiling in summer so also hardly ever used. Ask her if that's what she really wants? A decent patio with just a roof that lets a lot of light in would be a better idea, very nice in summer as it lets more air in to keep you cool. And it costs you a lot less to build and maintain.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions