how much should a mechanic be charging for this?

Found 29th Dec 2010
how much should the average mechanic charge for replacing a front brake pads on a 2005 astra?

thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
24 Comments

between 50 -80 quid

80 being on high side depending on where you live

£80 to supply and fit or £40 to just fit

40 quid? its like less than an hours work.... mechanics are rip off merchants
Edited by: "jayjayuk1234" 29th Dec 2010

Original Poster

west midlands, got a feeling im going to get a quote for £100+ when i call quickfit in the morning

m27try

west midlands, got a feeling im going to get a quote for £100+ when i … west midlands, got a feeling im going to get a quote for £100+ when i call quickfit in the morning

you will if you gotto quickfit local garage much cheaper

jayjayuk1234

40 quid? its like an hours work.... mechanics are rip off merchants

the pads will cost £30 , so just a tenner to fit may be if you live in mexico city , not in the uk mate you must hate mechanics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jayjayuk1234

40 quid? its like an hours work.... mechanics are rip off merchants

Yeah I know, especially as mechanics have zero overheads. Oh wait.....

£58 To supply and fit to a "56" Focus ST.

jayjayuk1234

40 quid? its likeless than an hours work.... mechanics are rip off … 40 quid? its likeless than an hours work.... mechanics are rip off merchants

my mates a mechanic so get it done for free,never less than an hour always some problem turns up

Original Poster

hammerman65

£58 To supply and fit to a "56" Focus ST.

sounds resonable, at a nationwide mechanic?

Do it yourself, it's easy enough a job if done with care.

anewman

Do it yourself, it's easy enough a job if done with care.

Yes when the bolts aren't corroded and require drilling out lol, Depends on vehicle. But as you say easy job.

jayjayuk1234

40 quid? its like less than an hours work.... mechanics are rip off … 40 quid? its like less than an hours work.... mechanics are rip off merchants

*ahem* not all of us fella !
Edited by: "richp" 29th Dec 2010

Classic quote " Well see we've hit a little bit of a problem " = this is gonna cost ya pmsl

shauneco

Yes when the bolts aren't corroded and require drilling out lol, Depends … Yes when the bolts aren't corroded and require drilling out lol, Depends on vehicle. But as you say easy job.

Never come across this, even on old cars. Then again I'm into copper slip and threadlock where appropriate, and using new bolts of the correct spec when doing jobs like this. Worst I have come across is when the new pads wouldn't fit in the caliper carrier, I took the carriers off and wet and dry'd/filed until they slid freely and used progressively finer paper until it had a nicely polished finish (a mechanic would never put in that time and effort). A mechanic later told me this was common and the thing to do was to grind the pad backing itself down, oh well.

anewman

Never come across this, even on old cars. Then again I'm into copper slip … Never come across this, even on old cars. Then again I'm into copper slip and threadlock where appropriate, and using new bolts of the correct spec when doing jobs like this. Worst I have come across is when the new pads wouldn't fit in the caliper carrier, I took the carriers off and wet and dry'd/filed until they slid freely and used progressively finer paper until it had a nicely polished finish (a mechanic would never put in that time and effort). A mechanic later told me this was common and the thing to do was to grind the pad backing itself down, oh well.

wanna bet, you guys should try a decent garage, same old thing, we get tared with the same brush because of a few cowboys out there, like any profession !

anewman

Never come across this, even on old cars. Then again I'm into copper slip … Never come across this, even on old cars. Then again I'm into copper slip and threadlock where appropriate, and using new bolts of the correct spec when doing jobs like this. Worst I have come across is when the new pads wouldn't fit in the caliper carrier, I took the carriers off and wet and dry'd/filed until they slid freely and used progressively finer paper until it had a nicely polished finish (a mechanic would never put in that time and effort). A mechanic later told me this was common and the thing to do was to grind the pad backing itself down, oh well.

On VW Golf mk3 or 4 can't remember they have like a star shaped bolt going through the calliper, Anyway tried and failed to get the bolts out without rounding them off..!!!. Done many brakes in the past and they are usually very easy like you said, Worse case is you have to have them to be done in a garage, But like you suggest might as well give them a go...!!!

OP, Let me don my mechanics overalls.............ok,

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say 240 quid inc vat.

yozzman1234

the pads will cost £30 , so just a tenner to fit may be if you live in … the pads will cost £30 , so just a tenner to fit may be if you live in mexico city , not in the uk mate you must hate mechanics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

huh, he said 40 quid just to fit.. i didn't mention the pads

I would have thought the worst case is you do not fit them correctly and you end up crashing and dying

Banned

is this an easy job for a diyer?

jayjayuk1234

huh, he said 40 quid just to fit.. i didn't mention the pads

you didnt say just to fit either make it clear next time wally
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 30th Dec 2010

Banned

yozzman1234

you didnt say just to fit either make it clear next time wally

LOL - you were the one he was replying to!

£80 to supply and fit or £40 to just fit

although jayjay really should factor in that £40 doesnt all go in the mechanics pocket due to massive overheards of running a garage.
Edited by: "csiman" 30th Dec 2010

Original Poster

hi guys got them fit for £55; think i got a good deal, thanks for all the tips
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. hotukdeals features in current edition of computer active magazine56
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427914643
    3. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983232
    4. Rewview sites33

See more discussions