How much should a uPVC front door cost

Posted 27th Sep
I asked for quotes on mybuilder, and only had 2.

The cheapest one I got was £800!! which seems very steep to me. I'm weary of using some of those big-brand bullies like safestyle and would prefer an independent glazer to do the job.

I'm in Bedford if it makes any difference

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
ashmac27/09/2019 17:40

This is why i like having a neighbour who works for a windows and door …This is why i like having a neighbour who works for a windows and door installation firmAlready give him the heads up for a weekend side job Will come in handy on my new house I just bought as it needs a revamp

I’m sure the op will find that really helpful
30 Comments
Door is £450 -£550 plus fitting
Edited by: "wayners" 27th Sep
Avoid Anglian windows and good luck.
longbowassassin27/09/2019 16:41

Avoid Anglian windows and good luck.

thanks. will do.

wayners27/09/2019 16:39

Door is £450 -£550 plus fitting

yeah my searches online show about 350ish for the door, so mybuilder people want to charge me something like 450 for install too.
There’s a lot of variables. Fancier the door more expensive obviously. Upvc front doors are old school now. Composite is the way to go. More expensive obviously
This is why i like having a neighbour who works for a windows and door installation firm

Already give him the heads up for a weekend side job

Will come in handy on my new house I just bought as it needs a revamp
Edited by: "ashmac" 27th Sep
sirsmokesalot27/09/2019 17:25

thanks. will do. yeah my searches online show about 350ish for the door, …thanks. will do. yeah my searches online show about 350ish for the door, so mybuilder people want to charge me something like 450 for install too.

They've paid £20-£40 to get your details. If every person gets three quotes you could make the assumption it costs £60-£120 per job won.
themorgatron27/09/2019 18:40

They've paid £20-£40 to get your details. If every person gets three q …They've paid £20-£40 to get your details. If every person gets three quotes you could make the assumption it costs £60-£120 per job won.

eh my bathroom fitter said it cost him £5 to give me a quote via mybuilder. Their fees range from £2-25 you assume it cost £20-40 ?. And it's not my fault thats what the platform charges, nobody forces them to give quotes.
Depends on what door you want.

A standard front door should be £450-600 if you pay for it upfront, if you opt for finance with the company it can easily end up costing £800.
One of my local double glazing firms advertises upvc doors from £595 fitted.
It might pay to shop around.
Edited by: "jimbob1286" 27th Sep
jimbob128627/09/2019 19:53

One of my local double glazing firms advertises upvc doors from £595 …One of my local double glazing firms advertises upvc doors from £595 fitted.It might pay to shop around.

seems more reasonable yeah.
sirsmokesalot27/09/2019 18:47

eh my bathroom fitter said it cost him £5 to give me a quote via …eh my bathroom fitter said it cost him £5 to give me a quote via mybuilder. Their fees range from £2-25 you assume it cost £20-40 ?. And it's not my fault thats what the platform charges, nobody forces them to give quotes.

Even still, those who have time and funding built into their business to pay for leads are often going to cost more unfortunately.

This is why i like having a neighbour who works for a windows and door …This is why i like having a neighbour who works for a windows and door installation firmAlready give him the heads up for a weekend side job Will come in handy on my new house I just bought as it needs a revamp

ibzy45827/09/2019 20:26

He might be in Bedford too
ibzy45827/09/2019 20:36

Sounds like bragging to me

Did you not know they’d bought a house? No idea how you missed it
Oneday7727/09/2019 20:42

Enlighten me
Oneday7727/09/2019 20:42

That’s why I said bragging
Composite seems to be the trend now, I'm getting rid of both my upvc, they look crap and aren't that secure.

Interesting. A friend of mine used two guys 'moonlighting'. Their bosses have now fitted trackers to their vans so that had to park at hers on the Friday evening and not move until Monday morning.

Problem is, when you come to sell you have to go all through the Indemnity Insurance stuff as of course they don't issue any FENSA certificates as there's no paperwork.
JimboParrot28/09/2019 07:53

Interesting. A friend of mine used two guys 'moonlighting'. Their bosses …Interesting. A friend of mine used two guys 'moonlighting'. Their bosses have now fitted trackers to their vans so that had to park at hers on the Friday evening and not move until Monday morning.Problem is, when you come to sell you have to go all through the Indemnity Insurance stuff as of course they don't issue any FENSA certificates as there's no paperwork.

You can get them certified through the council. About £90 I think.
JimboParrot28/09/2019 07:53

Interesting. A friend of mine used two guys 'moonlighting'. Their bosses …Interesting. A friend of mine used two guys 'moonlighting'. Their bosses have now fitted trackers to their vans so that had to park at hers on the Friday evening and not move until Monday morning.Problem is, when you come to sell you have to go all through the Indemnity Insurance stuff as of course they don't issue any FENSA certificates as there's no paperwork.

FENSA is a waste of time as you only require a certificate if the the door has more than 50% glass of the door area confusing I know but FENSA also confirm this themselves. And almost all doors have less than 50% for this reason. Windows on the other hand is a different story
marshy5128/09/2019 09:14

You can get them certified through the council. About £90 I think.

FENSA certificate won't be required on most doors , just a waste of money getting it certified
It would depend on the existing door and frame, and obviously the door you want £800 does not sound overly steep. Supplied and fitted is fair enough. Have a look on gumtree plenty of builders on there who will happily give you a quote. Not sure how my builder works but did they actually come and look at the job? As you will never get an accurate quote otherwise.
Edited by: "thomasleep" 28th Sep
dcx_badass27/09/2019 21:12

Composite seems to be the trend now, I'm getting rid of both my upvc, they …Composite seems to be the trend now, I'm getting rid of both my upvc, they look crap and aren't that secure.

They are expensive. One on b&q £1200 just door
MR112328/09/2019 11:05

They are expensive. One on b&q £1200 just door

I've seen plenty of adverts on social media for them fitted for £800 all in by various companies.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 28th Sep
dcx_badass28/09/2019 11:21

I've seen plenty of adverts on social media for them fitted for £800 all …I've seen plenty of adverts on social media for them fitted for £800 all in by various companies.

Thanks let me know which one you decide to go for please just helps me decide quicker lol
MR112328/09/2019 11:30

Thanks let me know which one you decide to go for please just helps me …Thanks let me know which one you decide to go for please just helps me decide quicker lol

I'm not actually going composite, going with the wood/metal plate combo as a friend is replacing them so going spare, if I was buying new I'd probably go composite though.
sirsmokesalot27/09/2019 19:59

seems more reasonable yeah.

Thats the cost of a basic cheaper range door that is easier to break into, if you want security it costs more.
The basic door can have a 6 inch diameter hole through it in under one minute with a blow torch that is almost silent and wont wake you up, then if you've got the lock type that doesn't require a key from the inside, they're in you house in under a minute and your fast asleep
We had our doors fitted by i want a door dot com.
Good prices, nice people to deal with and the lads who fitted them were polite, tidy and professional.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants