How much should I expect to pay to get AC jack replaced on Laptop?

Found 20th Oct 2011
As in title.
My Son has Acer laptop, the AC jack doesn't seem loose but he has to hold the charger in an awkward position in order for the battery to charge. I know I will probably get ripped off in a computer repair shop so would help if I knew roughly how much to expect to pay for this type of repair.
OK, apparently the jack I need is not one that needs to be soldered onto the motherboard, it has a simple 'plug in' cable.... (Acer Aspire 5920)
How easy of a job would this be for a complete computer repair novice (ME!!) to fix???
Community Updates
MiscLaptop
25 Comments
£50 - £100 plenty of repairers on Ebay. Is a bit time consuming has it usually means stripping it down and removing the plastics to get to the connection.
WOW that much!!
Gulp.......oO
£70 for taking laptop apart and fitting a new powerjack pcb board which are £19 to £27 quid or about £50 for taking apart and soldering a £1.99 part
It's quite common but make sure it's not a break in the charging / psu cable as cheap psu are £6 to £12
Anyone on here wanna fix it for a fee, live in Worsley, Manchester??
ROOFLESS

Anyone on here wanna fix it for a fee, live in Worsley, Manchester??

Good luck with that the disassembly of those laptops is very time consuming with no guarantee they go back together as intended.
Laptops are so cheap nowadays. I've seen plenty on here for mid £200's that it's not worth spending nearly £100 to fix an old laptop.

Best buy a new one, it will last longer and will have a better / newer spec.
You could prob pick up a DC Jack for a few pounds on ebay and tackle it yourself, having the repair manual would be handy, if it's a soldered jack then it will be more expensive, if it comes with wires attached and a small plug in socket to the motherboard then a repair guy should'nt be charging you anymore than £50, the cost is in the stripping down of the plastics, search ebay for your laptop model and put in dc jack along side your make and model number, it will show you what type you need and cost for the item!
Maxshep2872

You could prob pick up a DC Jack for a few pounds on ebay and tackle it … You could prob pick up a DC Jack for a few pounds on ebay and tackle it yourself, having the repair manual would be handy, if it's a soldered jack then it will be more expensive, if it comes with wires attached and a small plug in socket to the motherboard then a repair guy should'nt be charging you anymore than £50, the cost is in the stripping down of the plastics, search ebay for your laptop model and put in dc jack along side your make and model number, it will show you what type you need and cost for the item!

Great advice, I'll give that a go...
dcx_badass

Depends on the laptop, come you need to replace a PCB (about £25 for … Depends on the laptop, come you need to replace a PCB (about £25 for dell), or you could just solder a new powerjack on for £3. Don't know how much someone would charge as I'd never pay someone to do simple work.

Taking a laptop apart and soldering on a new connect is hardly simple work to a lot of people. If you have not used a soldering iron before i would not recommend you attempt this repair has you could easily cause more damage to the motherboard. Unless of course you are willing to class the laptop as a write off anyway if the repair was to fail or it's value is below what an equivelant replacement would be anyway if you had it repaired elsewhere.

Edited by: "newbie1001" 20th Oct 2011
Last time I did one, I took £30 or £40 for it. It's not a tremendously difficult job or anything, it's just time consuming, labourious, and a little bit nerve-racking.
newbie1001

Taking a laptop apart and soldering on a new connect is hardly simple … Taking a laptop apart and soldering on a new connect is hardly simple work to a lot of people

Very true and I have been doing it for years, correct tools and equipment is a must plus a steady hand, removing and soldering is very tricky, I use a re-work station for this! If it's a plug type to the motherboard then only the plastics to master, care has to be taken with plastics removal due to the motherboard ribbons below the touch pad etc
dcx_badass

Dismantling is simple, soldering ok, but with a little practice is pretty … Dismantling is simple, soldering ok, but with a little practice is pretty straight forward. A computer/laptop is basically a 10 piece jigsaw, not rocket science.

I can't do jgsaw. You make it sound so simple. Wish I could learn to fix laptops myself.
mutley1

I can't do jgsaw. You make it sound so simple. Wish I could learn to fix … I can't do jgsaw. You make it sound so simple. Wish I could learn to fix laptops myself.

Here's one he fixed earlier

http://i.imgur.com/ZL8Ea.jpg
dontasciime

LOl what part is the rocket again? Hard drive looks intactish some good … LOl what part is the rocket again? Hard drive looks intactish some good parts there lolHere's one he fixed earlier

OK, apparently the jack I need is not one that needs to be soldered onto the motherboard, it has a simple 'plug in' cable.... (Acer Aspire 5920)
How easy of a job would this be for a complete computer repair novice (ME!!) to fix???
Edited by: "ROOFLESS" 20th Oct 2011
dontasciime

Here's one he fixed earlier

I think it's easier for me to learn to do the 10 piece jigsaw than to learn to put this all back together!
I've fixed hundreds of dc jacks on laptops and the IT company I worked for would charge £90 for this service. Personally if I had to pay £90 to repair something worth £200 I would sell it for parts and buy a new one. My advice would be to do the same or have a go yourself but don't let others think it's a simple job.

Taking it apart without marking or breaking the plastics takes some skill and a lot of practice.

Desoldering and removing the old DC jack can be very tricky if you haven't attempted it before.

Soldering the new DC jack with absolute accuracy (too much solder and you risk shorting, too little and it'll become a dry joint again) is something that only practise help you master.

Putting it back together without any screws leftover and putting everything back in place exactly how you found it is also easier said than done!
http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%205920g.pdf

here is a link to the service guide take a look and see if it's something you want to do, (includes strip down guide)

Ebay item 380320878956 for a cabled jack socket
Edited by: "newbie1001" 20th Oct 2011
Make sure its not the power lead itself first. My wife has the exact same laptop and a couple of weeks ago it stopped charging.I t turns out the cable just behind the bit that fits into the laptop was faulty. If you wiggled it about a bit it would work intermittently, got another from Ebay for £6 good as new now.
Had the exact same problem with my acer 7520, had to hold in a whole variety of positions to charge it ! I bought a new charger off amazon £8 & viola it worked perfectly again, might be worth a try
Edited by: "Darryl2312" 20th Oct 2011

To be honest it will be a little fiddly but most laptops are put together in a similar way but if you have not tried it before you may end up damaging something inside which will probably render it useless and only good for spares. Unless you can track down a suitable repair manual via google or a youtube video showing one being stripped I would honestly live with the condition until you fancy a change then pop it onto ebay and sell for spares or repair. Had I been close to your area I would have done it cheap for you.

ROOFLESS

OK, apparently the jack I need is not one that needs to be soldered onto … OK, apparently the jack I need is not one that needs to be soldered onto the motherboard, it has a simple 'plug in' cable.... (Acer Aspire 5920)How easy of a job would this be for a complete computer repair novice (ME!!) to fix???

£50-£100 notes to replace a jack?!?!?! And ive only been charging people £15 and thats taking the lappy apart too !!!
andrew1973

£50-£100 notes to replace a jack?!?!?! And ive only been charging people £ … £50-£100 notes to replace a jack?!?!?! And ive only been charging people £15 and thats taking the lappy apart too !!!

Aside from the questionable merit of bumping nearly a three year old thread to add that comment, I don't think £80-£100 is unreasonable for a commercial PC shop to charge to replace a jack (depending on the PC). It's usually a relatively slow and fiddly job due to needing to dismantle most of the laptop and remove the motherboard to get to the DC jack then put it all back together. Comparatively some of the costs shops quote for replacing a failed hard drive are I'd say much worse, I've seen around the £200 mark including the drive and while it can take a couple of hours to load an operating system you can mostly just kick it off and leave it running.

John
Hi,
I'm having a similar problem with samsung ultrabook, my last sony vaio lasted 10 years without this problem and I've already paid out for it twice in only a few months. i've read apple macs are the way to go as this isn't a problem but apart from the broken port my laptop works really well as new and i don't want to replace it yet. they def make the connector thinner so more susceptible to break and have to be replaced. i've heard you can buy a connector on ebay to make it less weak but not sure what to search for. could you advise?
thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants