How much should protecting NCB cost

Posted 4th Jun 2020
Hi

We have been asked for twelve per cent extra on our car insurance premium to protect our four years NCB - is that too much or about right?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
And don't forget, even with protected ncb, if you have an accident, when you renew and advise of said accident it will still affect your premium.
8 Comments
Sounds about right. It's only worth what you're willing to pay. To me it's a no brainer to pay circa £30 to be able to protect them because it will cost a lot more than that of you have to add a claim. Do bear on mind though that after 2 accidents your NCB does get affected even with protected
Shop around first.
And don't forget, even with protected ncb, if you have an accident, when you renew and advise of said accident it will still affect your premium.
Mine was 8% for protected NCB with Geoffrey Insurance. Never had any claims in my life so technically 24 years, but they say 9+ as the max. In my case for the sake of £25 it's worth it.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 4th Jun
It’s one of these ifs.
A claim knocks 2 years of no claims of a policy.
So the max is normally about 65% no claims. So a claim knocks you back to 65%, 60% , 50%.

If you factor in even with protection, they still
Bump up your policy next year anyway.
Is paying 12% extra a year, worth protecting a 15% discount?

I used to pay it every year, then stopped about 10 years ago. I only pay about £250 a year for insurance. So saved £300 over that time roughly. Though sure it used to add 20% to premiums at the time.
Thank you all for your responses
Look at Bymiles as it’s included.
a666andy04/06/2020 21:00

And don't forget, even with protected ncb, if you have an accident, when …And don't forget, even with protected ncb, if you have an accident, when you renew and advise of said accident it will still affect your premium.

Not always.
Ive had a non fault claim and for few yrs no increase.
Post a comment
@
    Text