How much spending money for Turkey....?

Posted 18th Jul 2019
Possibly going to Turkey in August for 2 weeks. How much spending money roughly should one take for the 2 weeks? I know they’re cheap out there, compared to us, but need a rough idea of what amounts to take.

Cheers me dears
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Just for your self? What will you be doing clubbing etc or just lazing about and few bars?
fearona18/07/2019 14:47

Just for your self? What will you be doing clubbing etc or just lazing …Just for your self? What will you be doing clubbing etc or just lazing about and few bars?

Yeah sorry, didn’t make it clear.

I’m going to be staying at a friends, so food and accommodation are not a problem. No nightclubs...it will be a few restaurants, beach stuff maybe a little trek out somewhere. That kind of thing. I’m too old for the good ol’ days of parties and night clubs etc 😜
Work on around £2 for a drink ( lager or local spirit and mixer ) with meals around £5 for lunch and say £10 in the evening. You can pay more and you can pay less but these prices are fairly average.
£40 a day on average will cover all eventualities over that time span.
£40-£50 per day sounds good.
Thanks guys
The Turkish Lira is a dodgy currency ! Goes up and down (mainly down ) like the proverbial "drawers" . I would just draw out what you need when you are there with a card such as Halifax Clarity . Failing that, if you are comfortable carrying cash , take Sterling ,Euros or Dollars and exchange them in Turkey .
Grab your self a starling card and transfer some cash into that account, you could then use this for purchases or withdraw cash when needed.

starlingbank.com/
ndksamb18/07/2019 18:33

Grab your self a starling card and transfer some cash into that account, …Grab your self a starling card and transfer some cash into that account, you could then use this for purchases or withdraw cash when needed.https://www.starlingbank.com/

Yeah I already have that account It's just the amount I need for a 2 week stay that I was needing to find out.
StonkwellBogtrotter18/07/2019 18:36

Yeah I already have that account It's just the amount I need for a 2 …Yeah I already have that account It's just the amount I need for a 2 week stay that I was needing to find out.

Ah my bad, I would of said the same as above, average of about £50 a day
deleted929883
The brothels in Turkey are very good. Don't get carried away though!
deleted92988318/07/2019 20:08

The brothels in Turkey are very good. Don't get carried away though!

They aren’t that good tbh
deleted929883
SteMoss20/07/2019 21:41

They aren’t that good tbh

Which ones did you visit?

Grab your self a starling card and transfer some cash into that account, …Grab your self a starling card and transfer some cash into that account, you could then use this for purchases or withdraw cash when needed.https://www.starlingbank.com/

Don't do this.....all atm charge in turkey....well Istanbul it did.
deleted152303220/07/2019 23:28

Don't do this.....all atm charge in turkey....well Istanbul it did.

Not exactly. Do not ask the atm to do a conversion and it will be free/MasterCard rate.

Was abroad 3 months ago with my Starling and Monzo cards. Withdrew from a bank's atm all the time. Avoided any free standing atms to avoid "service charge".

Pay in Lira while out there and £30-40/day is plenty.

McDonald's meal is like £2-3 quid converted.
Bottle of water is a Lira or two (15-20p).
Restaurant for a good meal is like 20-30 Lira
Edited by: "DeepEmbrace" 22nd Jul 2019

This is the best advice. Don't take any currency, just put some money into a starling or fairfx or revolut etc card and draw it out at a cashpoint. The only thing you have to work out is how much to put in, but you can always top up these cards with money when you are out there.
DeepEmbrace21/07/2019 19:00

Not exactly. Do not ask the atm to do a conversion and it will be …Not exactly. Do not ask the atm to do a conversion and it will be free/MasterCard rate.Was abroad 3 weeks ago with my Starling and Monzo cards. Withdrew from a bank's atm all the time. Avoided any free standing atms to avoid "service charge".Pay in Lira while out there and £30-40/day is plenty.McDonald's meal is like £2-3 quid converted.Bottle of water is a Lira or two (15-20p).Restaurant for a good meal is like 20-30 Lira

It's the ATM charge it's not the bank charge....you can't get away from it...I know you suppose withdraw in local currency.
Edited by: "Adam786123" 21st Jul 2019
deleted152303221/07/2019 21:09

It's the ATM charge it's not the bank charge....you can't get away from …It's the ATM charge it's not the bank charge....you can't get away from it...I know you suppose withdraw in local currency.

That may be a charge from independent or those bloody Euronet atms.
But if you pull from a bank atm (I've tried Ak Bank, Garanti, Deniz and Yapi Kredi) it'll be fine
Not sure who said £50 a day, but maybe if you eat on a budget yeah. I've just come back from a wedding and the prices aren't what are being quoted here.

38125706-dIM9S.jpg
Average bar along the sea front, all had same/similar prices varying by a few Lira. Prices were much the same ~200km inland.

38125706-jeoeR.jpg
Average price for an evening meal. - I'll give the Turks one thing. They know how to cook a bloody good steak.
BadMF21/07/2019 21:58

Not sure who said £50 a day, but maybe if you eat on a budget yeah. I've …Not sure who said £50 a day, but maybe if you eat on a budget yeah. I've just come back from a wedding and the prices aren't what are being quoted here.[Image] Average bar along the sea front, all had same/similar prices varying by a few Lira. Prices were much the same ~200km inland.[Image] Average price for an evening meal. - I'll give the Turks one thing. They know how to cook a bloody good steak.

Mate, word of advice... any place that quotes dollars, sterling and euros is the money makers. You spend £42. That's London prices... in Turkey!

By the sea near Besiktas, you can go to a semi "touristy" restaurant and get a massive lamb kofte dish for 20-30 Lira.
Water should only be 2-3 Lira max. 6 Lira is like more than the water at Cineworld

It's all good. You may be a baller and earn a bunch more. It's all good. Back into the Turkish economy and such.

People, you don't have to spend this much. Turkey is a cheap and tasty place to visit.

Head to the area near the coast in Besiktas or the coast near sulaymani mosque and food is normally 15-40 Lira depending on what you order.

Water, juices are about 1 to 10 Lira depending on if it's carton or fresh squeezed.

But if you just want a good burger and don't want to navigate too much language barrier, McDonald's double meal is 15 Lira

38127166-IvSVb.jpg
This was in Kalkan, much nicer (in my opinion) than the main drag of Turkey, lots more history and plenty more to do if you like days out etc.

And to get two fillet steaks, and a couple of drinks (with free pudding thrown in) for less than fifty quid for two people is an absolute steal.

Also, the Turks far favour euros, Sterling or dollars way more than their own currency.
Edited by: "BadMF" 22nd Jul 2019
Kalkan looks beautiful
Furthest towards that side I've been is Oludeniz, Fethiye. It's super touristy that area, so need a Turk friend to reduce that effect down lol

"Also, the Turks far favour euros, Stirling or dollars way more than their own currency."
I prefer gold to sterling
Their currency is a cat being swung around. Never seen rates flip from 1gbp to 6lira to 8lira to 7...

Our money is far more stable and valuable. But that does not mean you are entitled/forced to use it.

Always ask in Lira. Or if you will get a taxi journey that's 15 Lira and ask for euro amount, the driver will ask for 10 euro and make you feel like you got a bargain
Don't trust these Turks. My family are Turks... they have no shame when it comes to business
£50 for a day ? That's expensive!
Don't drink - stick to the healthy Ayran - 50p.
Try one of the local kebabs - Testi Kebap is filling and costs only a fiver.
zworld22/07/2019 11:09

£50 for a day ? That's expensive!Don't drink - stick to the healthy Ayran …£50 for a day ? That's expensive!Don't drink - stick to the healthy Ayran - 50p.Try one of the local kebabs - Testi Kebap is filling and costs only a fiver.

Holidaying with you sounds as much fun as a kick to the fun zone.
BadMF22/07/2019 18:57

Holidaying with you sounds as much fun as a kick to the fun zone.

Mate, surely one can abstain from drinking for 2 weeks? You can do it at home for the rest of your life, innit ?
Testi kebap actually costs a tenner and the Turks are generous with their free bread.

38130638-AM08e.jpg
zworld22/07/2019 19:41

Mate, surely one can abstain from drinking for 2 weeks? You can do it at …Mate, surely one can abstain from drinking for 2 weeks? You can do it at home for the rest of your life, innit ?Testi kebap actually costs a tenner and the Turks are generous with their free bread.[Image]

I go on holiday to enjoy good food and alcohol. I don't drink in the house, and again only drink when I go out for food or a social gathering.

Lifes too short for food.
BadMF22/07/2019 20:22

I go on holiday to enjoy good food and alcohol. I don't drink in the …I go on holiday to enjoy good food and alcohol. I don't drink in the house, and again only drink when I go out for food or a social gathering.Lifes too short for food.

Well then, we'll let the OP decide what he wants.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants