Groups

how much to fit 2 locks to back + front door?

How much should I be looking to pay for getting some one to do it ? The old needs to be removed and I need to buy the locks my self?
    It's one lock on the front and one on the back door .

21 Comments

inb4 tree fiddy

£150 Max.

Depends on the type of lock?, Cylinder, Rim, Mortice etc and whether you will be getting exact replacements or some that will need a bit of carpentry to make fit?

Original Poster

The key fits into a lock in the door handle - i think its a cylinder and its replacing what is there already , just with a different lock

Are they wood doors or plastic?

Do it yourself

How to link
    Edited by: "DAMNOME" 6th Jan 2011

Can you provide pics?
    It is much easier than playing 20 questions.

thesaint

Can you provide pics?It is much easier than playing 20 questions.

+1

Wood door- cheaper
    Plastic- more expensive.

farhadmaster

Wood door- cheaper Plastic- more expensive.

based on what?

Banned

farhadmaster

Wood door- cheaperPlastic- more expensive.

new barrels aren't expensive to swap in a pvcu door

If you're able to, remove the old locks and take them with you, then try and find locks of exactly the same size/key spacing in b&q or wickes. It's not difficult to do but will be much easier if everything lines up the same.

Based on when they were done in my house.

Either wooden or plastic are an easy diy job its a straight like for like swap.

Given the choice of lock for security I would choose a mortice lock, people are lulled into a false sense of security by multi-point locking on UPVC doors which is great against a brute force attack but for about £20 any tom dick or harry can bypass the lock almost silently and with no damage and in seconds, picking a mortice lock requires skill and time.

DIY both lock types for a 5 lever yale are about £12-15 although there is one ebayer selling 5 lever yale mortice locks at £6.95

If its a euro lock (upvc door type) look for it to be specified anti-bump too

If you just want to change the locks for the sake of using a different set of keys, then my OH was able to simply take out the lock cylinder and go buy a replacement - he paid £35 which was for a mid range one

farhadmaster

Based on when they were done in my mums house.

corrected

dcx_badass

Yup, definately buy your locks from ebay, get them delivered to your … Yup, definately buy your locks from ebay, get them delivered to your house, fit them, get burgled, no sign of forced entry.... weird?

I didnt mean buy them from ebay, just that there are some that low priced about so may be able to save even more by shopping around,

Personally I wouldnt want a locksmith doing my locks I would rather buy them instore cash and do it myself, knowing only I know the keys

Original Poster

wow - thanks for the replies people .. I knew I could depend on you !
    I'll get the camera and take a pic tomorrow
    I've been quoted £55 to fit the 2 but I buy the locks my self .
    Its a wooden door
    with a handle like this where the key hole is in
    google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.leverhandlelock.org/images/lever_handle_lock.png&imgrefurl=http://www.shoponline2011.com/s~q-skinny-jeans~b-10090400~c-women%27s-jackets-and-coats~f-553448-258923_559828-270754.aspx&usg=__rxCMy93Oxw4JGYYlcSw8Ybz2LMI=&h=274&w=266&sz=50&hl=en&start=225&zoom=1&tbnid=D5iAtc9He6I6yM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlock%2Bin%2Bdoor%2Bhandle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D413%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C5724&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1024&bih=413

You do realise its like just 4 screws each lock, undo, remove old lock, swap, replace screws, seriously it would take a few minutes per door, £55 is extortionate, £20 even would be high!

Banned

denandyas

wow - thanks for the replies people .. I knew I could depend on you !I'll … wow - thanks for the replies people .. I knew I could depend on you !I'll get the camera and take a pic tomorrow I've been quoted £55 to fit the 2 but I buy the locks my self .Its a wooden door with a handle like this where the key hole is in http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.leverhandlelock.org/images/lever_handle_lock.png&imgrefurl=http://www.shoponline2011.com/s~q-skinny-jeans~b-10090400~c-women%27s-jackets-and-coats~f-553448-258923_559828-270754.aspx&usg=__rxCMy93Oxw4JGYYlcSw8Ybz2LMI=&h=274&w=266&sz=50&hl=en&start=225&zoom=1&tbnid=D5iAtc9He6I6yM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlock%2Bin%2Bdoor%2Bhandle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D413%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C5724&um=1&itbs=1&biw=1024&bih=413

thats only one screw to remove lol (on the grey bit). then barrel lock should slide out.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions