Expired

How much to fit (not supply) 3 wooden fence panels and 2 posts?

Found 20th Mar 2013
My neighbour would like to replace 3 fence panels and 2 posts of our joint wooden panel boundary fence. We have agreed to split the costs. He (retired builder) is asking for a contribution towards his labour too. I (pencil pusher, not any good at DIY) have no idea how much it would usually cost to fit (not supply) this stuff. Can anyone give me an idea of how much I ought to be offering? Cheers!

1. Ask
  2. Fence
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Fence
19 Comments

Is it just me or is that a bit of a cheek charging 'labour' costs for replacing his own fence?!?
In my opinion you should split the cost of the materials and kindly remind your neighbour that it was him who wanted the stuff replacing in the first place!
Just saying

Original Poster

Well, the panels need replacing, so it is in my interest too. I guess it's cheaper for him to do it and ask for a contribution to labour than for him/me to get a 'professional' in...

So he wants you to pay him to do something that 'he' wants to do? I think he is lucky you are going halves on the panels.

a fence needed to be replaced inbetween ours and neighours house. Their ivy plant was pulling it down and it collapsed with the weight of the plant.

as we were being assessed by social services they said we had to replace the fence or get it repaired. neighbours said they had no money. As on the plans it was actually our fence, we had to pay to have it replaced. Cost us over £300 neighbours paid nothing. Thing that annoys me is the plant is still there and growing on the new fence.

These neighbours have a blooming cheek. Hope you get it sorted op

Maybe I was a bit harsh there oO
Perfectly understandable especially if you get along ok with him, best to keep it that way
Suppose it depends how long it takes him, might take a while if he's got to put in new posts. Were they in with concrete?
If they are just the stake posts then am guessing should take a few hours. If concrete then he might need to dig it out and start again, would take a hell of alot longer.
Dunno what to offer him
Sorry again for the rant lol.

We were quoted £300 to supply and fit a gravel board type fence to run 9m length, but we thought that was overly priced for what it was.(we had to take out the beech hedge ourselves!) There is the thing of if the fence is your neighbours responsibility then its more than kind enough of you to be splitting the cost of materials never mind the labour, will the neighbour on the opposite side of your property be kind enough to split the cost if/when the other side needs to be replaced or will you have to pay out the whole sum for that. If your happy enough to give him labour cost then maybe ask him what price he his in mind then consider what he has said.
Edited by: "mlauchlan" 20th Mar 2013

It will take 1/2 day £20 a panel and £10 a post = £80 plus £10 an hour. I think top line it should be £60 each. You didn't say the height of the fence or wood/concrete posts with gravel boards. I would say maybe £80 each with concrete posts. He will use a small bag of concrete as well for the post but 1/2 day labour is very generous to dig two holes :-)

Nice neighbor i cannot believe he wants you to pay him to fix his own fence, did you not laugh in his face X)

maybe you should ask him is he not concerned what the tax man will take from his 'earnings'!

Original Poster

Just to clarify (which I should have made clear earlier), it's a wooden fence with wooden posts (approx 6x6ft panels). No concrete, no gravel boards AFAIK. Joint responsibility for upkeep as bang on boundary. Does 4 hours at £10 an hour sound about alright? Thanks for all your help so far.
Edited by: "Resali" 20th Mar 2013

pinkladyof66

a fence needed to be replaced inbetween ours and neighours house. Their … a fence needed to be replaced inbetween ours and neighours house. Their ivy plant was pulling it down and it collapsed with the weight of the plant.as we were being assessed by social services they said we had to replace the fence or get it repaired. neighbours said they had no money. As on the plans it was actually our fence, we had to pay to have it replaced. Cost us over £300 neighbours paid nothing. Thing that annoys me is the plant is still there and growing on the new fence.These neighbours have a blooming cheek. Hope you get it sorted op

Spray the ivy with roundup wait until it warms up a bit ,then it will start growing again ,my neighbor works for a fencing company he put my lapped fence of 140 feet with 25 posts on the otherside for FREE the wood was £700 cost price i'm lucky i guess get on with my neighbor

There is not much to putting up some fence post, particularly for somebody with building skills.

Basically, dig a 2ft hole, ensure the post will go where it is supposed to, position and support the post fill the hole 1/3rd full of water, pour in a couple of bags of postcrete, double check position of post and quickly adjust if required. Postcrete will set firm in about 5 mins. Screw in the panels when postcrete has set hard.

My point is even a self confessed pen pushing diy newbie can make a more than fair contribution to the labour involved. Sure there is a modicum of expertise in achieving a vertical post but after he shows you how to use the level its pretty easy.

I reckon if you offer to help and maybe add a few tinnies to the contract you can both tackle the job together. You might find it worthwhile to borrow or invest in a post hole digger, it makes digging the hole easier and you end up using less postcrete.

You and neighbour will become friends for life.

youtube.com/wat…3WE
Edited by: "melipona" 20th Mar 2013

Banned

Who put the old fence up?

Have you asked other neighbours on your side of the street who owns which side to see if you are responsible for maintaining the fence. if other neighbours say they maintain the boundary on the left and this fence is on the right then it's highly probable that you are not required to pay anything for it's upkeep. Have you checked the Land registry website for clarification.

Fair comment to check who has responsibility for the fence, it should be on the deeds marked with a T.
landregistry.gov.uk/pub…rty

Original Poster

melipona

There is not much to putting up some fence post, particularly for … There is not much to putting up some fence post, particularly for somebody with building skills. Basically, dig a 2ft hole, ensure the post will go where it is supposed to, position and support the post fill the hole 1/3rd full of water, pour in a couple of bags of postcrete, double check position of post and quickly adjust if required. Postcrete will set firm in about 5 mins. Screw in the panels when postcrete has set hard.My point is even a self confessed pen pushing diy newbie can make a more than fair contribution to the labour involved. Sure there is a modicum of expertise in achieving a vertical post but after he shows you how to use the level its pretty easy.I reckon if you offer to help and maybe add a few tinnies to the contract you can both tackle the job together. You might find it worthwhile to borrow or invest in a post hole digger, it makes digging the hole easier and you end up using less postcrete.You and neighbour will become friends for life. :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSaHVOAE3WE

Thanks for that. Maybe one day I will pick up a hammer and do something amazing with it... :-)

Original Poster

Ubiquitous_Romp

Who put the old fence up?Have you asked other neighbours on your side of … Who put the old fence up?Have you asked other neighbours on your side of the street who owns which side to see if you are responsible for maintaining the fence. if other neighbours say they maintain the boundary on the left and this fence is on the right then it's highly probable that you are not required to pay anything for it's upkeep. Have you checked the Land registry website for clarification.

I better check that... Thanks.

go out and give him a hand,
dig a hole, hold stuff steady, whack in some nails
sure hes going to supply the technical side but you can do a bit of the grunt
i assume its going to need paint/treatment also at some point so may as well get practising

Tell him that once hes spent his time putting the fence panels up, you will spend your time painting/treating both sides. That way you have both contributed.

You will be responsible for one side and he for the other. If its his fence I'd let him get on with it but offer to help put it up, but wouldn't offer (or expect to be asked for) financial help. If it was my fence, my responsibility, then I'd expect to pay the full cost.
Post a comment
@
    Text