Groups

How much to fix a gasket leak?

Anyone know how much this should cost? On a 2000 pug 206? Been quoted £70 which seems a little too much but not sure...

8 Comments

which gasket? oil? head?

Original Poster

Head I think... cant remember what the garage said...

Babbler;5675835

Head I think... cant remember what the garage said...

If it's a head gasket, I'd rip their hand off !! You have to strip the engine down to change it and usually skim the head, replace the rods etc so you're normally looking at £300+ in labour charges alone.

If it's the Rocker Cover gasket, it's a relatively simple job. Just done it on my own 206 recently and cost £12 for the gasket and about 20 mins to do myself.

I would have thought £70 to be a very good price personally if it's the head.

Original Poster

Ok then - I probably got that wrong! lol. Been a long day...

EDIT: must be the oil one...

Banned

I got quoted for the same for that, but my mechanic recommended I try Wynns leak Stop first. Worked a treat for £5.99 :thumbsup:

halfords.com/web…750

Lets put it this way. What made you think there was something wrong with the car in the first place? If we determine the symptoms we can begin to rule out the causes. Yeah, i've been watching too much House :lol:

Original Poster

Shengis;5675896

Lets put it this way. What made you think there was something wrong with … Lets put it this way. What made you think there was something wrong with the car in the first place? If we determine the symptoms we can begin to rule out the causes. Yeah, i've been watching too much House :lol:

I put it in for a brake check actually as thought the brakes were worn. They were fine but being a mechanic that likes to find work to do they checked my whole car and found an almost worn tyre (still legal but close), a buckled wheel (£12 to fix) and this... would have preffered a brake pad problem!!

sculpturatus;5675895

I got quoted for the same for that, but my mechanic recommended I try … I got quoted for the same for that, but my mechanic recommended I try Wynns leak Stop first. Worked a treat for £5.99 :thumbsup:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_154689_langId_-1_categoryId_165750

Tempting... how will I know if its worked when I didnt even realise I had a leak!! lol. I need car maintainance lessons :P
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      3. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      4. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22

See more discussions