Groups

How much to fix my car?

Anyone have a rough idea how much it should cost to fix my car?

Ford Focus.

Came home tonight to find front left wheel very hot indeed. Car was quite sluggish on the drive home too. My neighbour thinks that the brake pad is stuck on and is overheating.

Any ideas roughly how much that should cost to fix?

Thanks!

25 Comments

try a caliper repair kit? otherwise could need new calipers

go to ats or kwik fit and they will tell you the problem, THEN shop around for the best price!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

were are you based ben

Original Poster

bassman_uk;6035988

try a caliper repair kit? otherwise could need new calipers

I have no idea what they are! Not something I'm going to do myself, just wondered how much roughly I should be paying.

Original Poster

castortroy;6036003

go to ats or kwik fit and they will tell you the problem, THEN shop … go to ats or kwik fit and they will tell you the problem, THEN shop around for the best price!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They tell me the problem for free and what needs to be done? Then I can phone loads of other places? Or would they all want to see the car and diagnose it themselves, possibly add on more stuff saying it was diagnosed wrong?

Original Poster

black gerbil1;6036016

were are you based ben

In my penthouse mansion or something.

Seized caliper by the sounds of it, I'd of said around £100 at a guess supply and fit exchange. Guessing you're not too handy with a spanner? It's not a hard job really, you might be able to free it off and fix it.

Benjimoron;6036034

They tell me the problem for free and what needs to be done? Then I can … They tell me the problem for free and what needs to be done? Then I can phone loads of other places? Or would they all want to see the car and diagnose it themselves, possibly add on more stuff saying it was diagnosed wrong?

Just play dumb and when they tell you what needs doing say " I'll think about it, now what's you best price for this" it'll be a damn sight lower than the first figure!

Benjimoron;6036040

^^^^ NICE!^^^^^^^

Original Poster

jtx;6036062

Seized caliper by the sounds of it, I'd of said around £100 at a guess … Seized caliper by the sounds of it, I'd of said around £100 at a guess supply and fit exchange. Guessing you're not too handy with a spanner? It's not a hard job really, you might be able to free it off and fix it.

£100 sounds ok, certainly not going to attempt it myself!

Benjimoron;6036040

castortroy;6036070

^^^^ NICE!^^^^^^^

x2

what town/city, I know a good place to get your car fixed, If you live close to it you can tell them I sent you, and you will get good price (srs)

Original Poster

black gerbil1;6036099

x2what town/city, I know a good place to get your car fixed, If you live … x2what town/city, I know a good place to get your car fixed, If you live close to it you can tell them I sent you, and you will get good price (srs)

Where is this place you know of then?

While you are at it you might as well have new discs/pads if you intend keeping the car:w00t: :oops:

How far did you drive it?

Original Poster

jtx;6036112

While you are at it you might as well have new discs/pads if you intend … While you are at it you might as well have new discs/pads if you intend keeping the car:w00t: :oops:How far did you drive it?

I only got new brakes etc done about a year ago, would hope I don't need new ones again! Have only done about 6000 miles since.

I drove about 40 miles tonight, might have been playing up for a few days though as I've thought for a few days that the car is feeling sluggish.

Scrap it and buy a push bike

Original Poster

ratatatatata;6036171

Scrap it and buy a push bike

Thanks, about as helpful as Harvie.

Ben, if you were closer mate i'd have a look. It's either seized pins (just needs a bit of a clean and some copper grease), something jammed in the caliper/pads or the piston dust/crap seals gone which basically means a whole new caliper. No point in trying to repair under those circumstances as the piston/bore will be too far gone if it's already stuck.

Bet you get quoted around £200 ;-)

london

Original Poster

black gerbil1;6036241

london

Yes mate, let me know where.

Original Poster

Shengis;6036237

Ben, if you were closer mate i'd have a look. It's either seized pins … Ben, if you were closer mate i'd have a look. It's either seized pins (just needs a bit of a clean and some copper grease), something jammed in the caliper/pads or the piston dust/crap seals gone which basically means a whole new caliper. No point in trying to repair under those circumstances as the piston/bore will be too far gone if it's already stuck.Bet you get quoted around £200 ;-)

Cheers mate, hope for a little less!! Fingers crossed!

Benjimoron;6036256

Cheers mate, hope for a little less!! Fingers crossed!

Well that is just a fast fit guess. My estimate if it needs a new caliper would be somewhere around the £130 mark hopefully a bit less as it's not a difficult job :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Shengis;6036341

Well that is just a fast fit guess. My estimate if it needs a new caliper … Well that is just a fast fit guess. My estimate if it needs a new caliper would be somewhere around the £130 mark hopefully a bit less as it's not a difficult job :thumbsup:

Nice one, somewhere between the two would be fine.

I hate going to these places as I don't know anything about cars.

Maybe Harvie can sort me out with a special deal???

go to a scrappy and get a second hand caliper, then go to a local garage n tell them to replace it, don't tell them to diagnose, its more than likely the caliper, shouldn't cost more than £80 all in.

or if you want a new caliper go to your local motor factor and shop around for best price.

with getting your car fixed (especially if you know the fault) just tell the mechanic the fault and tell him what to do rather than him telling you what needs doing.

If it's been jammed on for a few days probably better replacing the disks and pads too. :thumbsup:

esq3585;6036659

If it's been jammed on for a few days probably better replacing the disks … If it's been jammed on for a few days probably better replacing the disks and pads too. :thumbsup:

Probably require new brake fluid as well, if it's been running hot for a while.

Agreed, find a reliable small garage, let them check it out, avoid the likes of ATS Kwik Fit etc. they will rip you off.

Don't skimp on brakes.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2460
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17846375
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767298
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***721

See more discussions