How much to put a stud wall in Garage and Flooring to make it into an office?

Found 1st Jan 2011
Any builders here able to help me, wondering how much it would cost to put a thick studded wall in the garage, cut through wall from house to put a door in and kit the flooring our with boards?

Any ideas? Thanks
Community Updates
MiscOffice
26 Comments
why bother with floor boards, just use large sheets of cardboard and put carpet down, thats what i did and it worked a treat
Banned
Someones bound to say it sooner or later, so it may aswell be me.

Bout tree fiddy.
Door needs to be 30FR.
Original Poster
wickedteen

why bother with floor boards, just use large sheets of cardboard and put … why bother with floor boards, just use large sheets of cardboard and put carpet down, thats what i did and it worked a treat

Cardboard? really? and is it ok?

Think I would rather board it still tho
Intrigued, planning a similar project.
yep cardboard is fine, as long as your garage doesnt have any water leaks, its great, we also used a sort of long brush stuff around the garage door(the brush stuff is what is used on esccalaters along the sides) then we blocked the door with polystyrene sheets and 8x4ft boards, once the door was blocked it was quite sound proofed to the outside. hope this helps
Original Poster
wickedteen

yep cardboard is fine, as long as your garage doesnt have any water … yep cardboard is fine, as long as your garage doesnt have any water leaks, its great, we also used a sort of long brush stuff around the garage door(the brush stuff is what is used on esccalaters along the sides) then we blocked the door with polystyrene sheets and 8x4ft boards, once the door was blocked it was quite sound proofed to the outside. hope this helps

It has a lot thanks.
Original Poster
Dealmaker

Intrigued, planning a similar project.

Where are you based I can help you with your work and you can help me with mine?
i also used quite a bit of loft insulation in the roof, then boarded it out with 8x4ft ply board, the only problem i had was that in the summer it got damn hot in there, but in the winter it also stayed warm.
Original Poster
wickedteen

i also used quite a bit of loft insulation in the roof, then boarded it … i also used quite a bit of loft insulation in the roof, then boarded it out with 8x4ft ply board, the only problem i had was that in the summer it got damn hot in there, but in the winter it also stayed warm.

Now thats were we are lucky as the area we are building into is under the en-suite.
just the main door to sort out then, make sure its well sealed as you will get mice trying to stay in there in the winter.

our garage was seperate to the house, it was at the side of the garden, so i had to put in a fuse box and a seperate trip to the garage, but it was a brill man cave

Edited by: "wickedteen" 1st Jan 2011
Original Poster
wickedteen

just the main door to sort out then, make sure its well sealed as you … just the main door to sort out then, make sure its well sealed as you will get mice trying to stay in there in the winter.our garage was seperate to the house, it was at the side of the garden, so i had to put in a fuse box and a seperate trip to the garage, but it was a brill man caveThanks for all the help mate, happy new year.Can I ask did you do the work yourself?

yes, done all the electrics before the new regs came in, so it was quite a while ago.
i had three 5ft tube lights, 6 sockets, 1 outside flood light and a night light out side, also a chest freezer in the garage.
The garage is an easy DIY job.
The door to the main house is a job for someone who knows wha they're doing.
Original Poster
wickedteen

yes, done all the electrics before the new regs came in, so it was quite … yes, done all the electrics before the new regs came in, so it was quite a while ago.i had three 5ft tube lights, 6 sockets, 1 outside flood light and a night light out side, also a chest freezer in the garage.

But you did the stud walling and everything too yourself?
Original Poster
thesaint

The garage is an easy DIY job.The door to the main house is a job for … The garage is an easy DIY job.The door to the main house is a job for someone who knows wha they're doing.

I know someone who has the hammer drill to do the door as my neighbour has one and said I can borrow it, so its just the wall.
nwressell

But you did the stud walling and everything too yourself?

Stud walling seems relatively simple, build a frame then add plaster board, taping and skimming might need to be done by a pro though
checkout some youtube vids may give you a few ideas/pointers & as willhay555 , you will need a 30fr (30 minute fire rated) door between house & garage.

actually just having a think on this, would this only apply if it was being kept as a garage, we've a 30FR door between our house & garage.
Edited by: "richp" 1st Jan 2011
didnt really do stud walling, just screwed lenghs of timber to the walls 4ft apart to screw the boarding to and thick enough for the poly sheets to sit against the walls, that was it, didnt bother plastering
To get the correct insulation value for the floor you will need to put down heavy gauge plastic, then 100mm polystyrene (2.4m by 1.2m) and then 22mm tongue and grooved chipboard.
Banned
not sure, but I suspect you would need planning approval to turn a garage into living accommodation..........
csiman

not sure, but I suspect you would need planning approval to turn a garage … not sure, but I suspect you would need planning approval to turn a garage into living accommodation..........

you dont even need it for loft conversions
Banned
DAMNOME

you dont even need it for loft conversions

did I mention lofts? oO

Building Regulations

The conversion of a garage, or part of a garage, into habitable space will normally require approval under the Building Regulations.

planningportal.gov.uk/per…on/
csiman

did I mention lofts? oOBuilding RegulationsThe conversion of a garage, or … did I mention lofts? oOBuilding RegulationsThe conversion of a garage, or part of a garage, into habitable space will normally require approval under the Building Regulations.http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/garageconversion/

this is why a lot of folk leave the garage door still on, as from the outside it looks like a garage, but you'd have to notify you insurance company that you have changed it to a dwelling & in turn the ins co will ask if you have planning regs, so its a catch 22 situation.
I think you're probably fine if you decide to use it yourself as a man den or whatever. If you tried to sell the house describing it as a bedroom then you'd probably have problems. Best to phone up and check it out first to see what permission etc you need.
Some councils can be really difficult as improvements can often raise the potential rateable value of a house. They get a bit narked if you are potentially doing them out of £s.
But also there are safety reasons behind getting approvals for work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants