Groups

How much to re-wire a house?

Just a off-chance. Would any know how much roughly is it to rewire a whole house (3-storey high). Are we talking about thousands? The electrics at the moment is approx 1960s. Thanks

11 Comments

where are you based?
    my step-father is an electrician

djdelmar;7938900

where are you based?my step-father is an electrician

Nice plug lol:thumbsup:

Count for sure in thousands. Especially as I guess with it being an old house you only have one or two power outlets per room, as soon as you start adding some more it costs an arm and a leg...
    Good luck!

Depends on the work required but i bet your looking at well over £2500-£3000.

Original Poster

djdelmar;7938900

where are you based?my step-father is an electrician

House is in Devon. Built approx 1840s

The electrics is "fine", but the house might be turned into student lets, therefore you have more regs to comply with. Was just wondering before committing on getting quotes

Ours was 3K 4 years ago, and that was for 3 bed semi.
    I would say at least 4 - 5K. Think of how eco friendly you can make it though.

You will be looking at about 2 grand

peter_griffen;7938981

House is in Devon. Built approx 1840s The electrics is "fine", but the … House is in Devon. Built approx 1840s The electrics is "fine", but the house might be turned into student lets, therefore you have more regs to comply with. Was just wondering before committing on getting quotes

Also budget for a zoned fire alarm system as this is required

Depending on what is required and as you have said its not been rewired for a long time 4-5 thousand with the fire alarm costing 2-3 thousand. Very difficult to be sure though as you would need to see it to quote.

Your Council will give advice re contractors that are vetted for workmanship

peter_griffen;7938981

Was just wondering before committing on getting quotes

They charge for quotes down there?

I just had quotes for a 70's 3 bed in Midlands and range between £3600 and £4K

Banned

sucramco;7939094

Think of how eco friendly you can make it though.

what?? :thinking:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1954
      2. Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?11
      3. Car park fine UKPC1520
      4. Baby seat hiring car abroad56

See more discussions