How much to replace a Samsung Galaxy S3 tablet screen?

Posted 19th Nov
my work says £400 which seems steep!
Community Updates

Groups

37 Comments
Did you want to say £40 ?
The cheapest buy it now on ebay with a cracked glass (not screen) is £145.45, while another with some software issues, £175.
TobyZ19/11/2019 18:36

Did you want to say £40 ?The cheapest buy it now on ebay with a cracked …Did you want to say £40 ?The cheapest buy it now on ebay with a cracked glass (not screen) is £145.45, while another with some software issues, £175.

No I didn't. I want to replace a smashed screen.
Is this the tablet ?
amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1
Keep in mind that the price on Amazon is NOT a good one because that item is already OLD and it is not reflecting its true value anymore.
Phone is ancient - why do you want to replace the screen? Why not just buy a second hand S8 or something on eBay?
DistortedVision19/11/2019 18:46

Phone is ancient - why do you want to replace the screen? Why not just buy …Phone is ancient - why do you want to replace the screen? Why not just buy a second hand S8 or something on eBay?

Tablet, not phone
Is it still under warranty? The Samsung store in the Trafford Centre, Manchester seems to fix anything under warranty.
DistortedVision19/11/2019 18:46

Phone is ancient - why do you want to replace the screen? Why not just buy …Phone is ancient - why do you want to replace the screen? Why not just buy a second hand S8 or something on eBay?

It's the tablet. You can still get them new and they come with a £70 stylus.

The screen needs repaired as it has important data on it.
DistortedVision19/11/2019 18:49

Is it still under warranty? The Samsung store in the Trafford Centre, …Is it still under warranty? The Samsung store in the Trafford Centre, Manchester seems to fix anything under warranty.

I think it's at least 2 years old.
mccririck19/11/2019 18:49

It's the tablet. You can still get them new and they come with a £70 …It's the tablet. You can still get them new and they come with a £70 stylus.The screen needs repaired as it has important data on it.

In other words, you want to have it repaired in order to extract some data from it.
Sure enough, £400 is way too much (based on the prices on ebay). Stay away from those "people".
TobyZ19/11/2019 18:55

In other words, you want to have it repaired in order to extract some data …In other words, you want to have it repaired in order to extract some data from it.Sure enough, £400 is way too much (based on the prices on ebay). Stay away from those "people".

Yes. That is what work have told me. It seem a very high price to me.
mccririck19/11/2019 18:56

The OLED screen is 50% ++ of the production cost. You are buying the most expensive screen available so £175 via a broken unit is about as cheap as you will get.
mccririck19/11/2019 18:56

It doesn't just "seem", it is outrageously high. If indeed it is the device from my link then those "people" who proposed that price are TRASH.
Edited by: "TobyZ" 19th Nov
LadyEleanor19/11/2019 19:01

The OLED screen is 50% ++ of the production cost. You are buying the most …The OLED screen is 50% ++ of the production cost. You are buying the most expensive screen available so £175 via a broken unit is about as cheap as you will get.

Yeah. I'm just asking how much would it cost if you took it to one of those screen repair shops.
Can't you connect it to pc and extract it. Can you see the screen ? How usable is it if you can. If it's just for getting your data I would just buy off eBay and do it myself.
mccririck19/11/2019 19:04

Yeah. I'm just asking how much would it cost if you took it to one of …Yeah. I'm just asking how much would it cost if you took it to one of those screen repair shops.

What happens right now when you power that tablet ? What do you see ?
Do you have access to a second identical tablet ?
Edited by: "TobyZ" 19th Nov
When you said, "my work...."

Do you mean you work in a company, IT repairs is outsourced to a third party for in-house employees?
splender19/11/2019 20:12

When you said, "my work...."Do you mean you work in a company, IT repairs …When you said, "my work...."Do you mean you work in a company, IT repairs is outsourced to a third party for in-house employees?

I work for a company.
mccririck19/11/2019 20:17

I work for a company.

I am guessing then the £400 is an additional charge to repair non-standard kit, in an outsourced desktop/laptop maintenance and technical support service.

Do you get annual IT technical support with that Samsung Tab S3 included? If so, then that £400 may sound steep but does it include annual technical support, service management, helpdesk support, and on-site technical person...etc...
Edited by: "splender" 19th Nov
mccririck19/11/2019 18:49

It's the tablet. You can still get them new and they come with a £70 …It's the tablet. You can still get them new and they come with a £70 stylus.The screen needs repaired as it has important data on it.

But not sufficiently important that you regularly backed up that data?
Is the Data on the actual internal storage or SD card? If it's on the card just remove it, but if its internal, buy one of them hml to hdmi cables, plug it into a TV, then put an SD card in and move all the Data over

rover.ebay.com/rov…234
Edited by: "Toon_army" 19th Nov
Publix19/11/2019 20:51

But not sufficiently important that you regularly backed up that data?

Seem to be getting everything but an answer here. I didn't back up the data for one day, no. The reason is not something I'm going to go into as it irrelevant to getting the screen repaired.
mccririck19/11/2019 20:57

Seem to be getting everything but an answer here. I didn't back up the …Seem to be getting everything but an answer here. I didn't back up the data for one day, no. The reason is not something I'm going to go into as it irrelevant to getting the screen repaired.

People were trying to help you to get that data without having to pay anything, but without any feedback from you it's impossible.
Toon_army19/11/2019 20:56

Is the Data on the actual internal storage or SD card? If it's on the card …Is the Data on the actual internal storage or SD card? If it's on the card just remove it, but if its internal, buy one of them hml to hdmi cables, plug it into a TV, then put an SD card in and move all the Data over (y)https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/312813435234

I'm sure our IT guy will be able to do that. I just want to know how much it would cost to put a new screen in. I'd like to get the device back as it has some useful stuff in an app which could not be backed up.
TobyZ19/11/2019 21:00

People were trying to help you to get that data without having to pay …People were trying to help you to get that data without having to pay anything, but without any feedback from you it's impossible.

I'm interested in how much the screen would cost to repair. That is all.
mccririck19/11/2019 21:00

I'm sure our IT guy will be able to do that. I just want to know how much …I'm sure our IT guy will be able to do that. I just want to know how much it would cost to put a new screen in. I'd like to get the device back as it has some useful stuff in an app which could not be backed up.

Some screens are a joke how expensive they are. A shop wanted £200 for my mates s9 screen to be replaced, he ended up selling it for £100 and buying one off Gumtree for £200.

Hopefully your IT guy has one of them cables I've mentioned to sort you out, at least you'll be getting the data you need
mccririck19/11/2019 21:05

I'm interested in how much the screen would cost to repair. That is all.

Your question doesn't have an answer, but rather answers. Depending on the shop you can have an original screen, a cheap, a refurbished; it can be repaired by someone who has to pay taxes or by someone on the street.
What you can ask is whether the price they ask is fair. If you really need that data and they know, the price will increase considerably.
Toon_army19/11/2019 21:06

Some screens are a joke how expensive they are. A shop wanted £200 for my …Some screens are a joke how expensive they are. A shop wanted £200 for my mates s9 screen to be replaced, he ended up selling it for £100 and buying one off Gumtree for £200.Hopefully your IT guy has one of them cables I've mentioned to sort you out, at least you'll be getting the data you need

Well my work needs the data. I'm just a bit surprised they don't seem to be doing anything about it so far and was told today screen costs £400 to replace so they don't know if I'll get it back. I was given a new one...
mccririck19/11/2019 20:57

Seem to be getting everything but an answer here. I didn't back up the …Seem to be getting everything but an answer here. I didn't back up the data for one day, no. The reason is not something I'm going to go into as it irrelevant to getting the screen repaired.

Never heard of google either?
phone repair compare uk
Publix19/11/2019 21:22

Never heard of google either?phone repair compare uk

It's not an S3 phone.
mccririck19/11/2019 21:29

It's not an S3 phone.

They cover tablets also.
Try replacing the characters "phone" with "tablet."

Phone your local computer repair shop. A starting point at least.
Edited by: "Publix" 19th Nov
Publix19/11/2019 21:51

They cover tablets also. Try replacing the characters "phone" with …They cover tablets also. Try replacing the characters "phone" with "tablet."

Website isn't working properly on my phone.
mccririck19/11/2019 21:53

Website isn't working properly on my phone.

if I laptop google type
"samsung s3 tablet repair uk price"
(The uk is important to avoid USA stuff)
The one you can't get to comes up about no 3
and no 4 is Timpsons Tablet repairs
There are about 5 more with .co.uk in the url.
Try turning off your ad blocker or similar temporarily.
Edited by: "Publix" 19th Nov
Google one near you (mobile repair shop near me),, check reviews and get quotes end of. If you want original Samsung screen only samsung can do that with high cost. All the other repair shops will be using cheap copies but should work fine for what you need it for.
Edited by: "MR1123" 19th Nov
Reminder:
The one that doesn't work on your phone generated a string of ££ quotes
from various repairers
which is probably what you're looking for.
So suggest you try on a laptop or pc.
Timpson are the well known old shoe repair group, obviously diversifying into new markets.
Suggest you cold call your local computer/phone repair shop to get a "Ball Park" figure to check on those quotes.
TobyZ19/11/2019 19:05

What happens right now when you power that tablet ? What do you see ?Do …What happens right now when you power that tablet ? What do you see ?Do you have access to a second identical tablet ?

There is only a flicker in one corner.

And apparently there is a security feature that prevents accessing data when connecting it to a computer.
mccririck20/11/2019 14:21

There is only a flicker in one corner.And apparently there is a security …There is only a flicker in one corner.And apparently there is a security feature that prevents accessing data when connecting it to a computer.

You can disable this "security feature", but you'll need to see where to tap. As long as the digitizer is still functional then if you have a similar tablet you can use that functional tablet as a map. If the digitizer doesn't work you can try an external mouse.
TobyZ21/11/2019 21:02

You can disable this "security feature", but you'll need to see where to …You can disable this "security feature", but you'll need to see where to tap. As long as the digitizer is still functional then if you have a similar tablet you can use that functional tablet as a map. If the digitizer doesn't work you can try an external mouse.

Well it looks like they're not going to bother.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions