How much will it cost to repair a psp 2000 UMD laser??

Found 6th Oct 2009
My friends has offered me a Psp 2000 black for £10, the psp doesnt read UMDs, im not sure if it is the laser, so can anyone help me out here? Thnx will rep

1. Misc
  2. PSP
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. PSP
20 Comments

Do it and just install custom firmwire and it doesn't matter about umds.

Original Poster

electriclinux;6496941

Do it and just install custom firmwire and it doesn't matter about umds.

You mean chip it, if yes then u need a umd to read the game from the memory card

JaYy_dOg;6497062

You mean chip it, if yes then u need a umd to read the game from the … You mean chip it, if yes then u need a umd to read the game from the memory card

You mean flash it? You can set the CFW to boot from the memory stick instead of the UMD.

EDIT : £10..!!! :w00t: I'd snatch his arms off... UMD's are so last year!

Original Poster

massmail666;6497103

dont think u need the UMD drive, as with custom firmware u play the games … dont think u need the UMD drive, as with custom firmware u play the games off the memory card and there is no need for th UMD drive.P.S. let me know if u wanna sell it :thumbsup:

But I already have a psp phat and it's flashed but I need a umd to recognise it and will see if I'm selling tomorrow

Original Poster

electriclinux;6497133

Here is a … Here is a guidehttp://pspslimhacks.com/easy-chickhen-custom-firmware-installer-without-pandora/

Thnx alot for your help and time have some rep

Original Poster

electriclinux;6497133

Here is a … Here is a guidehttp://pspslimhacks.com/easy-chickhen-custom-firmware-installer-without-pandora/

Are you sure you dnt need a umd to play games after flashing and where can I get a battery for it as he sold the battery to someone else

It might be enough to read the copyright so it might work. (also a psp even one without game functionality for 10 is still good)
2nd question: this technique doesn't require a Pandora battery to put cfw on.

JaYy_dOg;6497148

But I already have a psp phat and it's flashed but I need a umd to … But I already have a psp phat and it's flashed but I need a umd to recognise it and will see if I'm selling tomorrow

You need to alter it to M33 driver (from memory) you'll need to upgrade to GENB 5.5 if you want to play Motorstorm of Fifa 10 etc...

Original Poster

Flodd;6497293

You need to alter it to M33 driver (from memory) you'll need to upgrade … You need to alter it to M33 driver (from memory) you'll need to upgrade to GENB 5.5 if you want to play Motorstorm of Fifa 10 etc...

Kk thnx

JaYy_dOg;6497230

Are you sure you dnt need a umd to play games after flashing and where … Are you sure you dnt need a umd to play games after flashing and where can I get a battery for it as he sold the battery to someone else

Switch it on whilst holding the right shoulder button.

I think you then go into "configuration" and then UMD mode. Press "x" and it should change from "UMD required" to M33-Driver".

I don't have a PSP here, so it may be slightly different, but that is the general gist of how you do it.

Indeed, it did used to be the case that you needed a UMD in the drive, but it is not any longer.

Original Poster

I have bought the psp of him, the problem is that it doesnt read UMDs, and i think its the lens what dont work, is there anyway i can fix that my self or will i need to buy something to fix it?

Banned

JaYy_dOg;6506893

I have bought the psp of him, the problem is that it doesnt read UMDs, … I have bought the psp of him, the problem is that it doesnt read UMDs, and i think its the lens what dont work, is there anyway i can fix that my self or will i need to buy something to fix it?

have you read ANY of the above?

Original Poster

dimebars;6506956

have you read ANY of the above?

What you mean??

JaYy_dOg;6507125

What you mean??

put CFW on it and bobs your uncle

Or just buy legit games of PSN...

Original Poster

strike;6507263

put CFW on it and bobs your uncle

What will that do, sorry im not good with technology :oops:

JaYy_dOg;6507545

What will that do, sorry im not good with technology :oops:

CFW = custom firmware or what you describe as 'chipping'
this will enable the psp to run unsigned code off the memory card eg homebrew, emulators or illegal backups of umd games

newer 2003 psps cant be hacked so you might want to have a read at the links posted earlier in this thread
they will tell you all you need to know

PS let me know if you want to sell either of your psps, im after two phats or a phat and a slim for xmas :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thnx for your help but I'm not selling any of them just yet, when I do I'll get in touch with you
Post a comment
@
    Text