How much would you say is average for a weeks food shopping

Found 4th Dec 2007
This is for a family of 4 and includes all packed lunches and toiletries and cleaning. I also have two dogs and spend around £100 weekly. Would you say thats excessive. Like to hear your views.
3 adults
1 child
2 dogs

55 Comments

I would say it was excessive. I generally spend £30 a week on food - for two adults (one of whom never stops munching!) - so your weekly shop is just under what I spend in a month!

Original Poster

Becksdawe

I would say it was excessive. I generally spend £30 a week on food - for … I would say it was excessive. I generally spend £30 a week on food - for two adults (one of whom never stops munching!) - so your weekly shop is just under what I spend in a month!

So you get by on £15.00 each for food, toiletries, cleaning. That seems very low, where do you shop and what do you eat.

Sounds about right as me, animals ain't cheap to keep. You could probably cut the £100 bill a bit by shopping around though.

Theres 2 adults and 2 children in my home, we spend about 60quid per week and thats not daily additions like bread milk etc or anything else.
You can budget to live cheaper but sadly its normally junk food:(

Yup.

We eat a lot of pasta stuff really, rice too - things like that. On the odd occasion I will get a takeaway - but that is rare and obviously that week we can't live off £30 :giggle:

To be honest - I tend not to eat much when OH is working - and he's on shifts so on occasions if he's not home on an evening - like tonight - then I won't cook. (In your case it is obviously different)

We never buy expensive brands - I personally never see the point in them.

Mainly shop at Tesco's but do have a local Asda not to far away and Morrisions in town if I need to go after work and can't be bothered getting the bus to Tesco.

I remember my parents average shop was around £50 a week for 5 of us.

I think we are around £80 per week average for 2ad and 2 chil. Shop at Tesco. Nothing extravagent particularly there either.

my shopping budget is around £50 a week, for 1 adult and 3 kids, includes packed lunch for 1 and we dont have any animals. - can do a budget shop for around £30 but end up buying extra bread and milk, and being bored stiff of the food lol

Original Poster

pcnutta

Theres 2 adults and 2 children in my home, we spend about 60quid per week … Theres 2 adults and 2 children in my home, we spend about 60quid per week and thats not daily additions like bread milk etc or anything else.You can budget to live cheaper but sadly its normally junk food:(

So yours is roughly £70ish. Does this include school dinners etc. Mine is around £100 now and have just noticed that accordingly to the telegraph average food for family of four has risen by £780 per year. I used to get by on £80/90 (£7.00 of that on dogs).

I buy and peel my own veg and we do eat "good" food. ie meat and veggie meals and everyone takes a packed lunch.

sadly it is the good foods that rack it up - - imo fruit is not cheap, esp the way my lot go through it lol

ours is roughly £100 and that is for 3 adults and 3 kids, as our eldest is 19 so another adult to feed, and mygod does he eat!

loupomm

sadly it is the good foods that rack it up - - imo fruit is not cheap, … sadly it is the good foods that rack it up - - imo fruit is not cheap, esp the way my lot go through it lol

i agree they encouarge healthy eating, but fruit and veg is not cheap.

Original Poster

sofiamary

i agree they encouarge healthy eating, but fruit and veg is not cheap.

Healthy eating is good and cuts down on visits to the docs i think.

Including extras through the week we spend about £100 for 3 adults and a dog. We are vegetarian though and a lot of the veggie stuff is expensive. We use a lot of fruit and veg and I cook a lot. That includes lunches every day too because 2 of us are home for lunch and 1 takes packed lunch to work.

We could spend less if I didnt cook as much because a tin of soup is actually cheaper than my home made soup because the veg is so expensive now! Used to be cheaper if you made it yourself!

marshallka

Healthy eating is good and cuts down on visits to the docs i think.

yes im not disputing it, and i do but lots, it des bump up the price a huge amount though my daughter loves grapes for example, but they are not a fruit i buy often as they can be pricey

think you are right there, mine eat fruit like its going out of fashion, a bit more picky with veg, but usually get some down them.

lol

Starvers....

Approx £150-200pw, 2 adults 4/5 kids, 1 cat. (but does usually increase to approx £250pw when the kids are off school)

Not much junk food gets eaten here, mostly fresh, fruit, veg, meat, most of the time, lots of washing powder though for some reason, no we don't eat it!, milk and bread usually needs topping up as well in the week.

loupomm

yes im not disputing it, and i do but lots, it des bump up the price a … yes im not disputing it, and i do but lots, it des bump up the price a huge amount though my daughter loves grapes for example, but they are not a fruit i buy often as they can be pricey

i agree if i buy a bunch of grapes i can bet they havre gone as soon as they spot in the fridge. they cant just eat a few have to eat the whole lot between them, but then again when you have 3 diving into the bag it doesnt take long!

Fruit and veg can become very expensive if you buy it from your supermarket in the weekly shop. I tend to find the local greengrocer and Lidl (oddly) have much fresher, nicer and cheaper fruit than the prepacked rubbish in the big supermarkets.

sofiamary

i agree if i buy a bunch of grapes i can bet they havre gone as soon as … i agree if i buy a bunch of grapes i can bet they havre gone as soon as they spot in the fridge. they cant just eat a few have to eat the whole lot between them, but then again when you have 3 diving into the bag it doesnt take long!

:giggle:

sounds like here...bananas rarely last past shopping day here either, i often top them up in the week

Original Poster

I don't drive so haven't got a car to take me anywhere and although my oh has i shop online as i can use the codes on here and budget my bill as well. if we go to the supermarket our bill is higher. I freeze my milk and my bread.:oops:

MoneySavingG

Fruit and veg can become very expensive if you buy it from your … Fruit and veg can become very expensive if you buy it from your supermarket in the weekly shop. I tend to find the local greengrocer and Lidl (oddly) have much fresher, nicer and cheaper fruit than the prepacked rubbish in the big supermarkets.

I agree on lidl I went there the other day for the first time in ages just to get my fruit n veg and I got a massive bag of grapes for about £1.38 ! I couldn't believe it they prob would of cost about £3.50 in any other supermarket! :-D

marshallka

So yours is roughly £70ish. Does this include school dinners etc. Mine is … So yours is roughly £70ish. Does this include school dinners etc. Mine is around £100 now and have just noticed that accordingly to the telegraph average food for family of four has risen by £780 per year. I used to get by on £80/90 (£7.00 of that on dogs).I buy and peel my own veg and we do eat "good" food. ie meat and veggie meals and everyone takes a packed lunch.

no i didnt include dinners
which is 3.20 per day for the kids
( 1.60 each perday) plus this doesnt allow what i spend on food in work
( i ought to take sarnied but end up spending about 5 quid for lunch in work)
My prob is i buy easy food, ready prepared veg, easy meals etc as i dont have the time.

talking ot lidls/aldis etc my kids love aldis chocolate and vanilla pillows! ( mind you i like them too!!)
fruit and veg from lidls is amazing price,if im passing i pop in to get it as its saves a fortune plus its VERY fresh

Banned

we are currently spending £100 every 3 weeks for 2 adults & 3 children with about £10 a week top up on milk and fruit and £10 month on the pets

Sloth/Mod

We spend just over £100 a week and we are 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 cats and 1 dog. lol.

I don't mind how much we spend on food as long as we eat well and always have something in the cupboards.

marshallka

This is for a family of 4 and includes all packed lunches and toiletries … This is for a family of 4 and includes all packed lunches and toiletries and cleaning. I also have two dogs and spend around £100 weekly. Would you say thats excessive. Like to hear your views.3 adults1 child 2 dogs

my shopping is roughly that too, we have 2 adults, 2 children who eat as much as adults! and 2 dogs. some weeks its just under and some over, i dont think it is excessive at all. If i try to cut down i end up going out mid week and topping up ( resulting in spending more than i actually intend). I have been shopping in Tesco for the past 3 months but am finding their prices creeping up and less offers to be had. So i am looking at alternatives.
our lab sized mutts are fed on Wagg which costs £8.99 for 17KG. and lasts approx 6-8 weeks.

I spend around £120 a week on 2 adults and 5 children plus a dog, i do bulk odd times on wash powder, cleaners etc and we eat like proper meals of fresh home cooked items every day.
Must admit we have to top up most days as well on bread,milk etc

Approx £40/week for 2 adults and a cat.

Would be less if OH didn't get the pre-made sarnie filler and various choc biccie bars for his lunch at work, but can't complain too much

Ours is around £80-£100 per week for 2 adults and a 15 year old.

But, that includes everything, cleaning, food, and booze. I don't buy anything after that, I freeze the bread etc.

Sloth/Mod

suze

Ours is around £80-£100 per week for 2 adults and a 15 year old. But, t … Ours is around £80-£100 per week for 2 adults and a 15 year old. But, that includes everything, cleaning, food, and booze. I don't buy anything after that, I freeze the bread etc.

And £60 of that is the booze. ;-):whistling: :giggle:

Admin

We spend about £80 a week, 2 adults and 2 under-fours Hubby is 6'4 and eats like a horse :lol: That includes our Indian Takeaway on a weekend, which costs about £25

Spend £10 a week on a fruit and veg box delivered, alot of stuff from local farm, and then use either Sainsbury's or Adsa for meat and other food stuffs usually about £20-30 a week, for 2 adults and 1 child. To keep costs down buy seasonal fruit and veg not strawberries in Dec etc. I do cook everything from scratch no ready meals or pre-made cack.

2 adults & a dog - £60 per week. Thats food, toiletries etc

i spend about £100 per week on 2 adults and 3 kids but i do pay £30 a week for school lunches out of that.

Banned

£20 a week just on prepacked sandwiches and pasta, it's good not having a kitchen as eating at the future in-laws for free ;-)

im a pig so the weekly shopping for 2 adults and 2 kids is £100 but i use £10 vouchers for tescos got a £15 one off last week :d

Banned

£75/80 week - 2 adults, 1 child, 2 cats but that includes dinners inc all school packed lunch stuff /drinks& cats who can only eat felix as good as it looks (which costs £3.70 ish) and they eat loads.

2 adults and 2 cats - we spend £100 which lasts a fortnight. Only prob with that is we end up eating all the fresh fruit and veg in the first week, and frozen pizza and booze the second week!! Works for us though. OH works shifts so we don't often sit down together and eat - that makes a difference I think.

We have a local Tesco and Sainsburys just a stone throw away from us, so we generally just buy our food daily but I noticed this was costing us anywhere between £15-£40 per day depending on what we need for the house but it was averaging out at about £150+ per week on food and toiletries.

I just completed my first online supermarket order for my gf's house and it came to about £80 for 2 adults and a kid but I completely agree, it's all the fresh fruit and veg that racks up the bill.

If the government really do care about the peoples health, then I think it's crucial they pay a percentage of the healthy stuff's bill to reduce the cost and encourage us to look after ourselves because if you say to someone they can buy a ready made meal at BOGOF that was originally cheaper than the fresh stuff anyway, they'll always choose the unhealthy version but they don't realise how unhealthy all of it is.

You really do feel sick when you look at the contents of the cheaper stuff including sugar and salt content just to try and disguise the flavour of the rubbish they've mixed the ingredients with.

I've just joined a gym over the last couple weeks and it's all about the healthy stuff, so I'm hoping looking after myself doesn't break the bank so to speak. :giggle:

Original Poster

realfriendlyman

We have a local Tesco and Sainsburys just a stone throw away from us, so … We have a local Tesco and Sainsburys just a stone throw away from us, so we generally just buy our food daily but I noticed this was costing us anywhere between £15-£40 per day depending on what we need for the house but it was averaging out at about £150+ per week on food and toiletries.I just completed my first online supermarket order for my gf's house and it came to about £80 for 2 adults and a kid but I completely agree, it's all the fresh fruit and veg that racks up the bill.If the government really do care about the peoples health, then I think it's crucial they pay a percentage of the healthy stuff's bill to reduce the cost and encourage us to look after ourselves because if you say to someone they can buy a ready made meal at BOGOF that was originally cheaper than the fresh stuff anyway, they'll always choose the unhealthy version but they don't realise how unhealthy all of it is.You really do feel sick when you look at the contents of the cheaper stuff including sugar and salt content just to try and disguise the flavour of the rubbish they've mixed the ingredients with.I've just joined a gym over the last couple weeks and it's all about the healthy stuff, so I'm hoping looking after myself doesn't break the bank so to speak. :giggle:

I am glad i am not alone with the healthier options of food. I have been on hypertension treatment since age 30 (now 42) and always buy healthy bread and not a lot of supermarket brand foods after seeing a program of the salt contents of some. My oh would buy a 10p loaf and supermarket own brands but i think some are full of really unhealthy stuff. I don't buy ready meals often (but do sometimes eat "anything" ) and since i have spent a bit more on foods i have not had a problem with stomach issues too often and my family hardly ever go to the docs at all. In fact my daughter is 11 and i think she has seen the doctor about 5 times in her life. My cholesterol is to die for apparently and i always get asked when i go for my reviews how i get it so low. I wouldn't want hypertension and high cholesterol as well as its a walking time bomb. Maybe its time to look at other ways of saving money instead of foods.:)
Post a comment
@
    Text