How often do I put salt in my dishwasher

Found 11th Jun
I’m not too sure about how often I need to put in salt for my dishwasher.
Community Updates
39 Comments
Top it up and keep it topped up
When the S light comes on.
I don't bother putting salt in my dishwasher at all and find it still works fine
mutley15 m ago

I don't bother putting salt in my dishwasher at all and find it still …I don't bother putting salt in my dishwasher at all and find it still works fine

bet it stinks up the dishes
mutley15 m ago

I don't bother putting salt in my dishwasher at all and find it still …I don't bother putting salt in my dishwasher at all and find it still works fine

I also find it is not necessay.
FUAARRKK9 m ago

No. I used to put salt in as directed in the instructions, but then I got laxed and found that it made no difference, so now I don't bother any more.
It's not just about how the dishes come out, it's also to prevent limescale build up.
Never put salt in my dishwasher, hoover branded and nearly 20 years old, run it on the cheapest tablets I can find, normally Asda smartprice. Was Tesco value but they nolonger sell them.
mutley112 m ago

The dishwasher tablets already fits this function I …The dishwasher tablets already fits this function I findblog.vzug.com/en/general/do-you-need-additional-salt-and-rinse-aid-as-well-as-dishwasher-tablets/

Did you actually read that?.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 11th Jun
I always get what looks like dried dirt on the bottom of my cups if I don't put salt when the salt light comes on. My issue is I don't know how much and the manual doesn't say so I just fill the whole cavity. The cavity is filled with water though so I have to shove something thick in there too displace the water first. I put about 500grams every three weeks and we have a full cycle daily.
SOUTHWALES15 m ago

Never put salt in my dishwasher, hoover branded and nearly 20 years old, …Never put salt in my dishwasher, hoover branded and nearly 20 years old, run it on the cheapest tablets I can find, normally Asda smartprice. Was Tesco value but they nolonger sell them.

Soft or hard water area?
mutley123 m ago

The dishwasher tablets already fits this function I …The dishwasher tablets already fits this function I findblog.vzug.com/en/general/do-you-need-additional-salt-and-rinse-aid-as-well-as-dishwasher-tablets/

I just laughed like mutley you linked a artical saying in short you need salt and rinse aid. Which was going against the grain of what you was trying to say. Thanks mutley made my day that.
chocci8 m ago

Soft or hard water area?

I would say medium.
ScubaDudes28 m ago

Did you actually read that?.

Yes. But i only agree with the first bit of the article, which states that all in one tablets removes the need for salt. I dont agree with the final statement.

Perhaps i should find a better link
Better link here. It states no need if you use all in one tablets unless you are in very hard water area. We live in surrey and i find i dont need salt in the dishwasher.

finish.co.uk/fre…ns/
Mine needs topping up every 3-4 months, dishwasher used every day, for the sake of £1 a box/bag just bung some in when you clean the filters etc.
I use all in one tablets. Have never put salt in
MadeDixonsCry4 h, 7 m ago

I always get what looks like dried dirt on the bottom of my cups if I …I always get what looks like dried dirt on the bottom of my cups if I don't put salt when the salt light comes on. My issue is I don't know how much and the manual doesn't say so I just fill the whole cavity. The cavity is filled with water though so I have to shove something thick in there too displace the water first. I put about 500grams every three weeks and we have a full cycle daily.

My Bosch takes 1.5kg of salt, or maybe slightly over, which lasts a few months with the softener on the maximum '3' setting (water here is very hard) and using the machine about 4 times a week. Just need to pour it in gently and the dishwasher salt granules sink to the bottom and the water runs out the top.

I usually buy all in one tablets because they contain more effective washing ingredients, but I consider the all-in-one aspect a bit of a gimmick, if it runs out of salt and I don't top it up then it doesn't clean properly, if I don't use rinse aid it doesn't dry as well. I used to get better results with Sun dishwasher powder, before they stopped selling it.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Jun
Ooo I love a good guessing game! Uhhh is the answer: Never, you don't have a dishwasher. ?
Ooo I do hope there's a prize !
mutley18 h, 47 m ago

Better link here. It states no need if you use all in one tablets unless …Better link here. It states no need if you use all in one tablets unless you are in very hard water area. We live in surrey and i find i dont need salt in the dishwasher.https://www.finish.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/

You live in a hard water area so expect limescale build up and eventual failure of your dishwasher. Salt costs about £3 per year!
chocci4 h, 26 m ago

You live in a hard water area so expect limescale build up and eventual …You live in a hard water area so expect limescale build up and eventual failure of your dishwasher. Salt costs about £3 per year!

i haven't used salt for a few years now and the dishwasher is still going. by the time it packs up, it is time to get a new one any way so no harm done.

it is not about the cost. it is a nuisance adding the salt.
mutley14 h, 7 m ago

i haven't used salt for a few years now and the dishwasher is still going. …i haven't used salt for a few years now and the dishwasher is still going. by the time it packs up, it is time to get a new one any way so no harm done.it is not about the cost. it is a nuisance adding the salt.

Probably too late now anyway, as I think that the water softener unit would be the first thing to stop working due to its ion exchange resin getting coated by limescale, although citric acid might work to clean it up.
Edited by: "melted" 12th Jun
When it tells you to
you dont need salt in dishwashers as long as you are not in a very hard water area and use an all in one tablet, they include salt now and also rinse aid. adding it is just wasting money in most cases. Tablets have moved on from the day when they used to just clean.

Both the big manufacturers offer the same advice.

circle.supersavvyme.co.uk/uk/…t-2

finish.co.uk/fre…ns/
Edited by: "eslick" 12th Jun
mutley119 h, 12 m ago

i haven't used salt for a few years now and the dishwasher is still going. …i haven't used salt for a few years now and the dishwasher is still going. by the time it packs up, it is time to get a new one any way so no harm done.it is not about the cost. it is a nuisance adding the salt.

Come back when your dishwasher is 15 years old like mine and never had a problem (beko)

I agree that the 10 second job of adding the salt every 4 months is such a nuisance lol
chocci3 h, 42 m ago

Come back when your dishwasher is 15 years old like mine and never had a …Come back when your dishwasher is 15 years old like mine and never had a problem (beko) I agree that the 10 second job of adding the salt every 4 months is such a nuisance lol

i don't expect dishwasher or washing machines to last more than 5 years, especially these days when white goods are not built to last, so i tend to get them replaced after 5 years anyway if not before.

i would say adding salt is more like a 20 minute job for me as i get the blooming salt every where and then have to spend time cleaning the spillage! you can't add the salt quickly, you have to wait for the salt to settle before adding more as you are adding salt to a water reservoir, so if you put too much in, the salt spills everywhere into the dishwasher.
mutley18 m ago

i don't expect dishwasher or washing machines to last more than 5 years, …i don't expect dishwasher or washing machines to last more than 5 years, especially these days when white goods are not built to last, so i tend to get them replaced after 5 years anyway if not before.i would say adding salt is more like a 20 minute job for me as i get the blooming salt every where and then have to spend time cleaning the spillage! you can't add the salt quickly, you have to wait for the salt to settle before adding more as you are adding salt to a water reservoir, so if you put too much in, the salt spills everywhere into the dishwasher.

For someone so tight, I'm amazed you replace white goods every 5 years regardless of whether they need replacing

Takes me 20 seconds every 4 months to top up my dishwashers salt reservoir using the supplied funnel and costs me about 50p. Far cheaper than replacing the dishwasher every 5 years

Just get one of your staff to do it for you.
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Jun
chocci6 m ago

For someone so tight, I'm amazed you replace white goods every 5 years …For someone so tight, I'm amazed you replace white goods every 5 years regardless of whether they need replacingTakes me 20 seconds every 4 months to top up my dishwashers salt reservoir using the supplied funnel and costs me about 50p. Far cheaper than replacing the dishwasher every 5 years ;)Just get one of your staff to do it for you.

i am careful with money but i do like new things and i am prepared to spend money where i think it is of benefit to me, so for certain things, i don't mind paying a lot of money for. i don't replace the dishwasher before it breaks but i am quite happy when it does if it occurs after 5 years as it means i can have a new one.

i don't use the funnel as then i can't see the salt so i just pour the salt out directly from the bag into the reservoir.
Once a year if she's not got an headache!
mutley14 m ago

i am careful with money but i do like new things and i am prepared to …i am careful with money but i do like new things and i am prepared to spend money where i think it is of benefit to me, so for certain things, i don't mind paying a lot of money for. i don't replace the dishwasher before it breaks but i am quite happy when it does if it occurs after 5 years as it means i can have a new one.i don't use the funnel as then i can't see the salt so i just pour the salt out directly from the bag into the reservoir.

So you do use salt, Make your mind up!
.MUFC.13th Jun

So you do use salt, Make your mind up!

you haven't read all my posts. i used to do so as instructed in the user manual but i got fed up doing it as it was such a task. i found the dishwasher still cleans the dishes fine without the salt and i found the spilled salt started to create rust in the dishwasher where it had spilled out of the reservoir, so now i don't use salt any more.
mutley13 h, 30 m ago

you haven't read all my posts. i used to do so as instructed in the user …you haven't read all my posts. i used to do so as instructed in the user manual but i got fed up doing it as it was such a task. i found the dishwasher still cleans the dishes fine without the salt and i found the spilled salt started to create rust in the dishwasher where it had spilled out of the reservoir, so now i don't use salt any more.

I have read your comments

"i don't use the funnel as then i can't see the salt so i just pour the salt out directly from the bag into the reservoir."

That implies you do. The use of English is important

"I didn't use the funnel as I could not see the salt, so I just used to pour the salt out directly from the bag into the reservoir."
mutley14 h, 1 m ago

you haven't read all my posts. i used to do so as instructed in the user …you haven't read all my posts. i used to do so as instructed in the user manual but i got fed up doing it as it was such a task. i found the dishwasher still cleans the dishes fine without the salt and i found the spilled salt started to create rust in the dishwasher where it had spilled out of the reservoir, so now i don't use salt any more.

the salt is more to prevent limescale build up, especially in hard water areas (like Surrey!). Hardly surprising you have to replace your white goods every 5 years

I guess you don't bother with kettle & washing machine descaling either

my dishwasher is 15 years old and washing machine is 20 years old (both look like new so getting new ones every 5 years would be a complete waste of money )
chocci27 m ago

the salt is more to prevent limescale build up, especially in hard water …the salt is more to prevent limescale build up, especially in hard water areas (like Surrey!). Hardly surprising you have to replace your white goods every 5 years I guess you don't bother with kettle & washing machine descaling eithermy dishwasher is 15 years old and washing machine is 20 years old (both look like new so getting new ones every 5 years would be a complete waste of money )

I didn't know the salt was for descaling. I thought it was for helping cleaning the dishes. I don't bother with descaling the washing machine and I just throw the kettle out when it gets too much limescale
mutley11 h, 41 m ago

I didn't know the salt was for descaling.

Should have read the thread
Anyway, yet again a hit and run op. Charming!
This link was pretty helpful to me. Had the same question how much & how often ... wikihow.com/Use…alt
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants