Groups

How old does a child have to be to pay adult fare on a bus ?

as the title says

23 Comments

i think its 16

16:thumbsup:

Banned

or 32

its 12 unless they have a pass proving their age under 18 - then its free under 18 ( only london borough though)

but i believe its only at school times

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

16 for defs.

in london you need a pass after 11 years for free travel

linw;3307481

in london you need a pass after 11 years for free travel

yer proof of age

Original Poster

Or i`m in durham (north east) so London don`t affect me so it`s definitely 16 ?
    i thought it was 13 ?ok thanks everyone

ive always thought it to be 12.

in south i think its 16. my sister was being charged adult fare leaving school so complained to solent blu line and they asked us to take driving licence to local office with photo and they producted a proof of age card to prove she is able to pay child rate.

I think you should pay if your taking up a seat whether you 5 or 75

i think its unfair when ive paid to use the bus then some old woman comes along and i have to move out of the way for them - i have a bad back too

dandoc2;3307593

i think its unfair when ive paid to use the bus then some old woman comes … i think its unfair when ive paid to use the bus then some old woman comes along and i have to move out of the way for them - i have a bad back too

I was on the bus a few years ago, before i passed my test, and some old lady got on the bus, i was just about to stand up, when she said, "are you going to stand up and let me sit down". I stayed sat down and she had to stand. Cheeky old woman!

Banned

dandoc2;3307593

I think you should pay if your taking up a seat whether you 5 or 75 i … I think you should pay if your taking up a seat whether you 5 or 75 i think its unfair when ive paid to use the bus then some old woman comes along and i have to move out of the way for them - i have a bad back too

you dont have to give up your seat for anyone

I think it varies depending on area and bus company

supermod

loupomm;3308300

I think it varies depending on area and bus company

It does. In the North-East any child aged 5+yrs needs an Under 16 Nexus Photo ID card to get concessionary fare otherwise they have to pay full adult fare (or risk a fine if an inspector catches them). This expires at age 16yrs unless they are still in full time education. Also means here that any child visiting from outside the region must pay full fare - doesn't seem very fair though to me :-(

Here in MK i was charged adult rates from the age of about 14. not sure what the actual age is (Ive always had a baby face)

we have a london route which can use oyster and is free to 16 bit over 11 have to have id to prove age

also have other company which is only free for under 5, then theres a child fare till 16

It certainly used to be 16 in Durham, but thats going back quite a few years! Varies from company to company, place to place, as sigma says you may need a pass of some sort now...

This is what Arriva say in their terms of carriage:

CHILD FARESThere is no charge for children under five years of age when … CHILD FARESThere is no charge for children under five years of age when travellingwith another passenger travelling on a valid basis providing the childdoes not occupy a seat to the exclusion of an adult passenger and upto a maximum of two children for each passenger. Children over 5years of age can normally travel at a reduced rate, subject to localconditions as detailed on the farescale for individual routes. Childrenwho are unable to provide proof of their age on request from thedriver, where the driver reasonably doubts their age, may be required topay the adult fare.

sassie;3308282

you dont have to give up your seat for anyone

I always give up my seat for old people or pregnant women - whether it be on a bus - tube or train - manners cost nothing

Banned

dandoc2;3310301

I always give up my seat for old people or pregnant women - whether it be … I always give up my seat for old people or pregnant women - whether it be on a bus - tube or train - manners cost nothing

I would hope so, and so would i, my daughter (15) and my son (6), without being asked, what i was saying is you dont have to, which is what you said

sassie;3310316

I would hope so, and so would i, my daughter (15) and my son (6), without … I would hope so, and so would i, my daughter (15) and my son (6), without being asked, what i was saying is you dont have to, which is what you said

You dont have to but older people seem to think they have right over passengers even though they travel free
    90% of ones ive given seats to dont say thank you and seem to look at you like dirt for sitting on the 1st floor on the bus

Banned

dandoc2;3310340

You dont have to but older people seem to think they have right over … You dont have to but older people seem to think they have right over passengers even though they travel free90% of ones ive given seats to dont say thank you and seem to look at you like dirt for sitting on the 1st floor on the bus

yes i know some think they have a given right over everything, but not all are like this, and to be honest at their age i think they probably deserve it whether its expected or not
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick44
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391212
      3. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon22
      4. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…56

See more discussions