Groups

How old until babies start to read?

My son has just turned two and I'm trying to teach him to read. I open up wordpad and write in big letters different words and he gets them right 90% of the time. He has learnt mummy, daddy, dog, computer, cat and car. Quite impressed that he can tell the difference between cat and car. Is he super-human or does this sound normal???

10 Comments

Super human if two months; Normal if two years !!!!

That sounds ok I think. I was reading the bible when I was 3 !!!

The bible ? nuff said...............

ChrisUK

The bible ? nuff said...............

I have no idea why... and I don't read it any more

Run Spot Run....lol, I remember that one !!

at that age, it is generally memorising rather than reading

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic

at that age, it is generally memorising rather than reading

Yeah, I realise he's not actually reading it, just remembering the shapes etc. Just thought that if he could recognise things then why not words?

Admin

He seems pretty bright though Benji- my two love the Baby Einstein stuff.. if you're little one's a clever tot he'll like them

It varies but if he is interested in books thats great and no harm in it.

My son was like that, able to memorise a whole book by the pictures on the pages! I used to think he was some kind of gifted child! LOL
    However NOT,at 4-5 he knew how to put sounds of letters together to make a word able to read in a sentence.Which he reads quite well. Able to read most words, and if he cant he does phonetics.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1918
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30124
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251370
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17876389

See more discussions