Expired

How reliable are Worcester-Bosch boilers?

Found 16th Sep 2013
Looking at getting a new boiler installed at home and had several gas engineers round to quote me for the job. Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience on Worcester Bosch boilers? In particular I'm looking at the Greenstar 30CDi.

Been quoted £2600 for the job (boiler + a few extra parts costs around £1400), which includes a 7 year warranty (parts & labour) and power flush. Seems a little excessive, sure I can knock off a few hundred quid. Any advice is appreciated.
Community Updates
13 Comments
we have had one for just over 5 years and haven't had any problem so far so touch wood.
Worcester are a great boiler brand from personal experience. Ours came with a 5 year manufacturer's/parts warranty, although 8 years on and we never had to use it. 'touch wood'
Banned
£1200 pound to install a boiler is not actually excessive compared to what some charge, but it should be possible to get it done cheaper. I use someone who works for a company during the day and does private jobs in his spare time, he will install a boiler for £500 and sources the boiler, I think the last one he done for me cost £800 for the boiler. Basically shop around and ask friends/friends of friends if they know anyone.
Remember that some plumbers will not wire them up, they need earthing and wiring to the mains, my plumber refused to do it because he wasn't an electrician, leaving me an unexpected bill. But our Worcester boiler has been fine, except for a problem with the water pressure at the heat exchanger. They changed the exchanger under warranty and all is good
OP get quotes without a powerflush, it's just a scam way of fleecing more money out of a job. Very few systems need them, and most fitters don't do it properly anyway. As aircanman says not all of us do the wiring, I factor in the cost of paying the sparkie for that, so it should be in the overall price anyway.
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I wouldn't use a Worcester boiler again. I live in a block of flats (with four flats) and we've all had problems with the Worcester boilers which have been fitted. Having said that, a couple of my friends have them and have had no issues at all.

My last flat had a Vaillant and I didn't experience any issues with that at all.
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies so far.

From the written quote that he's provided me he will do the complete job to get the job finished. Looking at his reviews online he seems reliable. From what he's said about the powerflush, he says he has to do it as part of the installation to get the 7 year warranty valid. I don't know how much truth is in that, but I think it will need to be done as some radiators aren't warming up as much as they should. I'm hoping the powerflush will sort that problem out.

What I like about the boiler is that its energy efficient, and seems to have good reviews online (Which Magazine). I'm hoping with the correct installation it should give years of hassle free heating. I've got another engineer coming over tonight. So lets see what he suggests. Many thanks again for the replies.
Madferrit

Thanks for all the replies so far.From the written quote that he's … Thanks for all the replies so far.From the written quote that he's provided me he will do the complete job to get the job finished. Looking at his reviews online he seems reliable. From what he's said about the powerflush, he says he has to do it as part of the installation to get the 7 year warranty valid. I don't know how much truth is in that, but I think it will need to be done as some radiators aren't warming up as much as they should. I'm hoping the powerflush will sort that problem out.What I like about the boiler is that its energy efficient, and seems to have good reviews online (Which Magazine). I'm hoping with the correct installation it should give years of hassle free heating. I've got another engineer coming over tonight. So lets see what he suggests. Many thanks again for the replies.

Also make sure he puts inhibitor in the system and does a thermostate (room) either wired or wireless.
Madferrit

From what he's said about the powerflush, he says he has to do it as part … From what he's said about the powerflush, he says he has to do it as part of the installation to get the 7 year warranty valid. I don't know how much truth is in that.

Truth percentage = 0%
Original Poster
yve67

Also make sure he puts inhibitor in the system and does a thermostate … Also make sure he puts inhibitor in the system and does a thermostate (room) either wired or wireless.

Many thanks for that advice. I had no idea what the inhibitor was till you mentioned it.
From a family of plumbers they are in my bro's words 'THE BEST'!!!
Check with Worcester Bosch about needing a power flush to validate the warranty. I'm pretty sure you do need one to validate it (we run a plumbing/gas company) but I am willing to be proved wrong! We install loads of WB boilers and very rarely do they have a problem.
Agree with what's been said already. I think Worcester Bosch is the top brand and we have had no problems with ours. We did have an Ideal boiler which became useless something like 2 days after the warranty ran out!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants