Expired

How reliable/accurate are Argos reservations?

Found 10th Dec 2013
Hi folks, surprisingly first time ordering an item from Argos for collection and a few question's.

I just reserved an Xbox One for pickup tonorrow from Argos as only 1 randomly appeared in stock for pickup from my store. Is there any chance there is a mistake? They haven't been in stock for days, but 1 just popped up.

What's the chances one has actually been reserved for pickup tomorrow? Do they often let you accidently reserve items that aren't in stock?

Cheers

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments

It's usually pretty reliable, You got confirmation email/Text?

i normally find them good for click and collect

I've never had a problem with them and I've bought a few things with only 1 in stock.
Never tried to buy something as highly demanded as a new console though so can't say whether that particular item will actually be there.

Original Poster

Yes got email confirmation and a text confirming the Reservation number and says it'll be held for collection until the end of Wednesday 11/12/2013.

Hoping it won't be a mistake!

Usually good, however I recently tried to get the despicable me action figure from there, reserved it then had no confirmation. It just disappeared from stock so I went elsewhere. I suspect staff take what they want first so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get it.

If you are going direct to their website then should be fine, if going via a 3rd party website (i.e checking stock availability across multiple companies) then not so great, but if you have a reservation code your good to go and get.

Argos are pretty much spot on for reservations. When an item is reserved a ticket appears through in the stockroom for the picker to check and see if the item is there. If the item cannot be found after a rigorous search the customer is contacted and the reservation is cancelled.

So as long as they have your contact telephone number you will be notified if the item is missing from the stockroom. If they don't have your number, they will usually cancel the reservation and then inform you of the cancellation when you go into the store to buy it. This is why leaving your phone number when you reserve an item is so important. Saves you the trip if the item isn't available.

Exp: Worked in Argos for 6 years up until earlier this year.
Edited by: "beezerphd" 10th Dec 2013

normally very good as they dont have as much theft as other stores due to stock being behind the counter

I have just been and picked up an item i reserved from Argos today as it happens, it was very easy and i have never had a problem with it before and i do this more often than not when buying something to avoid disappointment. Thumbs up from me!

Original Poster

Thanks folk, the advice is much appreciated.

Got the confirmation so I suppose it's just a matter or going there tomorrow and seeing if they actually have it!

Just found it odd that one just randomly appeared in stock as i've been checking the stock for my local store daily and it's constantly been out of stock for weeks until 1 popped up.

Flamedeer, thank youX)

There is usually a buffer stock. So what you see online as held stock is usually a lower amount than actually in store. This is to stop someone online ordering at exact same time as someone in the store. I used to work at their HO a few years ago and can't imagine that rule has changed as would lead to huge issues on double selling.

If someone has had an item reserved then it won't show up as being on the system. If they haven't picked up their reservation by the end of a certain date, like yours is reserved until the end of the day on Wednesday then when the system is shut down at night the item just goes back into the main stock to be reserved by someone else.

Little tip here for folks, if theres something you're dying to get your hands on, but theres none in stock, it may be that it's reserved. After your store closes keep checking the stock availability for about 40 minutes after the shop has closed. Once they shut the system down into night more to go home, all outstanding reservations are released back into the stock for others to get. It's your best bet of getting a hold of something that might be golddust.

Original Poster

Sarah_O

There is usually a buffer stock. So what you see online as held stock is … There is usually a buffer stock. So what you see online as held stock is usually a lower amount than actually in store. This is to stop someone online ordering at exact same time as someone in the store. I used to work at their HO a few years ago and can't imagine that rule has changed as would lead to huge issues on double selling.

Well that just put my hope right down again! Lol! I suppose the only way is to just go there and find out first hand if they have it or not.

Cheers

Hit and miss. I reserved the ps vita bundle and when i tried click and collect it only brought up one item even tho i had an email and text to say otherwise. Had to go customer services as the till staff wouldnt deal with it... Only for said member of staff to move to the customer service desk. I was not amused.

Perhaps someone had reserved it till today and didn't collect it, when the store closes the items not collected go back online for whoever wants them.
What time does the store in question close? And does that closing time correspond with the xbox showing in stock?
Edited by: "Mrs.Z" 10th Dec 2013

Original Poster

Mrs.Z

Perhaps someone had reserved it till today and didn't collect it, when … Perhaps someone had reserved it till today and didn't collect it, when the store closes the items not collected go back online for whoever wants them.What time does the store in question close? And does that closing time correspond with the xbox showing in stock?

The store closes at 6pm and I reserved at around 9pm.

As others have said, sometimes it may have appeared just in stock as someone else hasn't collected it. I've done a lot of reserving and just check you've got your confirmation email and reservation code. If on the off chance it's a mistake when you get there, I'd ask for the manager as you've done your part of the deal and have your reservation confirmation. Good Luck !!

never had a problem with argos click and collect. always had the item I was looking for and had reserved. Can't imagine they wouldn't have it kept for you. even so I would tell them u want it home delivered free of charge before xmas if they don't have it for u but I honestly don't see that being the case

Ring your store in the morning to confirm whether or not its reserved for you.

I once reserved an item, went to the store, entered reservation number. could not be found! argos employee said good deals are sometimes taken by peoplw guessing reservations etc, coukd tell he was talking crap. he prob took it himself. I should have gone to the manager but was really tired that day

GoatzRus

Well that just put my hope right down again! Lol! I suppose the only way … Well that just put my hope right down again! Lol! I suppose the only way is to just go there and find out first hand if they have it or not.Cheers

What I was saying was actually a good thing!! If it's showing you 1 unit of stock it usually means there is more than one available in case someone else goes into store and reserves at the same time. For example if there are 5 units of something instore, they may only show 3 online. Like others have said, just call them and double check it is reserved for you rather than keep speculating and worrying!!

Original Poster

All well and dandy, picked up the Xbox One today no problem!

Thanks guys!
Post a comment
@
    Text