How secure are YI home CCTV cameras?

Posted 28th Nov
Does anyone here have YI home CCTV cameras? Just wondering how "secure" they are?

I have an indoor yi camera, I have it set to require PIN to access camera, not send videos in alerts and it is connected to my home bt router which obviously has a password on and wpa2 security.

is this considered safe? don't know what else I can do to secure the camera to prevent hacking?

people say change the username and password but there isn't really one other than your username and login when you create a yi account? unless I'm missing something.

thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

3 Comments
Just don't smoke weed in front of them lol
To be honest they’re not secure, it’s weather you are willing to accept the risk.

You can put some things in place to lower the risk such as placing cameras on a segregated Local network and using a VPN to dial back in.

i wouldn’t trust a camera that uses external servers or pokes a hole through your network Firewall so you can access it anywhere.

In my opinion IOT devices should be segregated with no internet access and accessed remotely via vpn If you are setting your network up securely. If not then don’t worry about it
With cloud based IP cameras you are reliant on the manufacturer to provide adequate security and to quickly fix vulnerabilities in firmware and their cloud services.

Some cloud or P2P camera apps will connect directly to their cameras if they are on the same network, which allows the camera to be accessed locally if the cloud server or the user's internet connection is down, some may not, or may only partially function, for instance I have one where you can view the live footage on its P2P app, but not change its settings, or view recordings on its SD card via its app.

If you don't use the cloud features like remote recording, you could try temporarily blocking outbound access for the camera on your router's firewall to prevent it connecting to its cloud server and see if you can still access the camera with your phone connected by wifi to your LAN.

If that works, then you have the option of isolating the camera from the internet and accessing it remotely by running your own VPN server, eg on a PI or an openwrt flashed router, which would allow you to connect remotely to your LAN via a secure, encrypted tunnel.

I always look for ip cameras with ONVIF support, so I need not rely on their server and app. I'd also suggest buying ones that declare what image sensor they contain and ideally also the video processing chip, so you can do some research to find out how good their image quality and particularly low light image quality is actually likely to be.
Edited by: "melted" 28th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants