How strict are Royal Mail when you post stuff?

Found 7th Dec 2012
I went to the post office to get a certificate of postage for a DVD which weighed 102 grams and had a first class large stamp on the jiffy bag. The woman at the post office insisted I paid an extra 30p or "the other person would have to pay the 30p plus a £1 charge".

I must have sent hundreds of DVDs and CDs in the past which were a gram or two over and not bothered paying the additional postage and never had Royal Mail charge the recipient to my knowledge.

Have Royal Mail tightened their belts or is there still a gram or two leeway and who's to say the Post Office's machine wasn't calibrated properly?!
Community Updates
14 Comments
Well the limit is the limit i suppose:/
and lets face it the rm arent exactly your friendly local post offices anymore
Noticed a few things I've received now have had charges slapped on them.

Maybe they are just tightening up regulations. Can't blame them, the rules & regs are there in black & white.
I got a card saying the post required 9pence more so i was charged that plus £1 before they would deliver it.

who's to say the Post Office's machine wasn't calibrated properly?

Our local PO's aren't calibrated properly, I have a sert of digital kitchen scales that I calibrate regularly for weighing postal items and the local PO is about 5% under, I am not goinmg to be the one that tells them.
harlzter

Our local PO's aren't calibrated properly, I have a sert of digital … Our local PO's aren't calibrated properly, I have a sert of digital kitchen scales that I calibrate regularly for weighing postal items and the local PO is about 5% under, I am not goinmg to be the one that tells them.

im sure trading standards would be very interested if your so sure
im not sayin your lying,but scales should be calibrated on a daily basis
Infinitesd

I got a card saying the post required 9pence more so i was charged that … I got a card saying the post required 9pence more so i was charged that plus £1 before they would deliver it.

I had one one time for 11p and a £1 handling fee and had to pick it up and wait nearly 30 mins for the moron to find it.
Original Poster
I would have thought they have some margin of error, if not to only to account for the odd Royal Mail scales not being accurate.
My post office lady says she is allowed 10 grams over, she has an analogue scales (not digital) and says its due to the needle swaying around and is quicker to let some go over. Never been charged extra before.
a few buyers have had to pay extra for parcels when the rm sticker has come off, even though there would be no way for that parcel to get into the system without it being paid for.
i used to work at a post office and yes they should be calibrated daily.the lady to be fair was doing her job though checking each one otherwise people the other end would be charged.plus its her log on on the prof of posting etc
they get a bit funny about it at christmas as there is so much extra mail this time of year. The amount of things i saw when working for the postoffice that were 1p thats right 1p over and had to pay £1.01 because of it. I used to ignore the charge on cards and post them through anyway but your not ment to
beso

im sure trading standards would be very interested if your so sureim not … im sure trading standards would be very interested if your so sureim not sayin your lying,but scales should be calibrated on a daily basis

I am saying it works in the customers favour so trading standards aren't going to be too fussed surely.
My Post Office have never checked any of the pre paid items I have dropped off.

Unless they do it after I leave X)
Yeah depends on the post office.

I had one who just takes all my prepaid items and stamps my certs of posting without checking.

And another measures anything. I once had to post a dozen DVD type boxes, but the plastic bags I had put them in meant they had to be pushed through the slot in the measuring thing, and did not easily fall through.... I just took them back off her walked out, and put them all in the post box outside... No problem..

The quicker they are fully privatised, the better!!
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 7th Dec 2012
Chiptivo

The quicker they are fully privatised, the better!!

Yeah, cause we all love 4xCPI (Inflation) rises every year. Do it like Utilities Companies.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants