How strict are Thomson with their hand luggage?

Found 7th Jun 2016
Wondering if anyone knows how strict thomson are when it comes down to travelling with just hand luggage? you have to collet your boarding pass from the desk and wondering if they normally ask to weigh bags at any point etc. Flight is leaving from STN. Any information would be really appreciated - thank you!

14 Comments

I find its more on the person serving as had it weighed by some and not others on same airline... how much over do you think u will b?

four of us travelled with Thomson to Napels last week, 2 bag with 10kg each book in ( actually weighed about 20.5kg) we all had hand luggage of 5kg, all at max or slightly over, wasn't asked to weigh at any point.

Original Poster

I find its more on the person serving as had it weighed by some and not … I find its more on the person serving as had it weighed by some and not others on same airline... how much over do you think u will b?

Not sure exactly, but planning on taking all my stuff in hand luggage, so maybe 10-12kg!

Hopefully will be okay

Original Poster

four of us travelled with Thomson to Napels last week, 2 bag with 10kg … four of us travelled with Thomson to Napels last week, 2 bag with 10kg each book in ( actually weighed about 20.5kg) we all had hand luggage of 5kg, all at max or slightly over, wasn't asked to weigh at any point.

amazing - hope you had a great holiday! which airport did you fly from?

Four of us and now you've asked I've just realised we haven't had ours weighed the last 3 years of travelling with them. Why then do I stress out so much about getting them under the weight limit I wonder oO

Original Poster

Four of us and now you've asked I've just realised we haven't had ours … Four of us and now you've asked I've just realised we haven't had ours weighed the last 3 years of travelling with them. Why then do I stress out so much about getting them under the weight limit I wonder oO

Good to know! Lets hope we haven't jinxed it by talking about it!

Don't forget about the limits on stuff you can take in hand luggage.

Thomson weighed everything and were strict on weight limits when we flew from Birmingham in April,coming back from Fuertventura they didn't weigh any hand luggage.

I suspect you're more likely to have your luggage weighed in the summer than the winter. When they calculate the load for the plane it takes into account hand luggage of whatever the limit is per person, plus an average weight per person and then the checked luggage. This figure goes towards how much fuel they can load plus it affects the performance of the aircraft.

Planes don't like hot weather, jet engines work much better when it's cold so aircraft performance becomes an issue for take offs as in extreme circumstances there's not enough runway for the plane to get up to speed, As a result, they start being very careful about loads and you've got more chance of being pulled for overnight luggage

if you have a 20 kilo max then you can go to 20.9 as long as you don't go to 21 I believe it's 7 kilo with hand luggage but these don't often get weighed it's just luck of the draw in respect of those. if your checked in luggage is over they will allow you to move items into your hand luggage but only at the checkin

if you have a 20 kilo max then you can go to 20.9 as long as you don't go to 21 I believe it's 7 kilo with hand luggage but these don't often get weighed it's just luck of the draw in respect of those. if your checked in luggage is over they will allow you to move items into your hand luggage but only at the checkin

uk airports aren't as strict as foreign airports so its the return trip I'd be more concerned about

Flown 4 times with thomson and hand luggage was weighed 3 of those times both ways. The 4th time, they didn't weigh hand luggage as we also had hold luggage that time

As a few people have mentioned it seems to be entirely dependent on who serves you, we've flown with them 3 times and had our hand luggage weighed only once. We were flying from Manchester and we were about 12kg over between us in the hand luggage but luckily we were early enough to go back to our car with some of the bulkier items otherwise we were facing a charge of around £10-£15 per kilo I think. On the flight back we were spot on but no one weighed them and after speaking to a few other passengers it seems we were in the minority in getting them weighed on the outbound flight!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants