How to add extra space to D Drive in laptop?

Posted 14th Dec 2019
I have loads of space on the C drive but need more space on the D drive as keep getting warnings its too low on space. Can anyone give me a link or instructions on how to do this please? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

51 Comments
Cut and paste some files from D to C?
You could use something like partition magic to redistribute the split between the partitions
Use a dedicated software like partition magic / partition master to resize your drive.
Edited by: "psychedelicrenegade" 14th Dec 2019
Copy and paste will not free space up you need to cut and paste
Are both C and D on the same physical drive? If so - depending on your version of OS

Use Defragggler to consolidate the C drive files back to the start of the disk. It will run many times and you need ot stop everything that is running to release files so they can be moved

Use Partition Magic or AOMEI Partition Assisstant to size the volumes

I have run PCs on C + D for years so I can re-install windows when it inevitably goes manky. teh last time was a few months ago when W10 build 1903 was released. Then I used the W10 refresh tool and it didnt scrap the remaining files on the C drive. No need for C & D any more. Finally MS are beginning to make half decent software. Just 34 years its taken them. Hope they are nothing to do with Boeing's MCAS re-write.
Unless this is a bit of a wind up (in which case, you got me!) then just open a window to a folder in your "C" drive. Next, open another window beside it to your "D" drive. Navigate to which ever files you would like to move and just drag-n-drop them over. This will 'move' your files and free up space on your "D" drive. As said by others, you don't want to "copy" files as that means the existing one(s) would remain. If prompted, select "move" and not copy. Same as selecting "Cut" instead of "copy" if you do it the "cut & paste" way.
You should be able to do this with Windows built-in Disk Management. Take a look at this article. Specifically "How to Access Disk Management in Windows 10" and "How to Resize a Partition: Expanding and Contracting with Computer Management in Windows 10" sections.
Phsycronix14/12/2019 16:52

Unless this is a bit of a wind up (in which case, you got me!) then just …Unless this is a bit of a wind up (in which case, you got me!) then just open a window to a folder in your "C" drive. Next, open another window beside it to your "D" drive. Navigate to which ever files you would like to move and just drag-n-drop them over. This will 'move' your files and free up space on your "D" drive. As said by others, you don't want to "copy" files as that means the existing one(s) would remain. If prompted, select "move" and not copy. Same as selecting "Cut" instead of "copy" if you do it the "cut & paste" way.

Its no wind-up, the D Drive is the recovery drive and keeps saying its full. There is only one recovery file in it so need to enlarge the space to make storage for more than one set of recovery files.
ccnp14/12/2019 16:48

Are both C and D on the same physical drive? If so - depending on your …Are both C and D on the same physical drive? If so - depending on your version of OSUse Defragggler to consolidate the C drive files back to the start of the disk. It will run many times and you need ot stop everything that is running to release files so they can be movedUse Partition Magic or AOMEI Partition Assisstant to size the volumesI have run PCs on C + D for years so I can re-install windows when it inevitably goes manky. teh last time was a few months ago when W10 build 1903 was released. Then I used the W10 refresh tool and it didnt scrap the remaining files on the C drive. No need for C & D any more. Finally MS are beginning to make half decent software. Just 34 years its taken them. Hope they are nothing to do with Boeing's MCAS re-write.

Both on the same drive. I have Win 10. Just reset to manufacturers standard as how bugs. The D drive is the recovery drive.
psychedelicrenegade14/12/2019 16:46

Use a dedicated software like partition magic / partition master to resize …Use a dedicated software like partition magic / partition master to resize your drive.

Thanks will have a look for that.
Are you sure you have this the right way round? most browsers/programs/images/downloads default to the C drive unless you specify another pathway, Even if the physical drive is the same one you can transfer the files from one to another then after opening the file (C drive)to check its complete delete it from (D)
stemac12314/12/2019 16:47

Copy and paste will not free space up you need to cut and paste

Who said copy?
googley214/12/2019 17:13

Its no wind-up, the D Drive is the recovery drive and keeps saying its …Its no wind-up, the D Drive is the recovery drive and keeps saying its full. There is only one recovery file in it so need to enlarge the space to make storage for more than one set of recovery files.

That sounds like backup rather than recovery, although I appreciate the terminology is often interlinked. A "recovery partition" is usually set to be hidden by the manufacturer and typically only (easily) accessible during boot or via using some utility. The concept of "more than one set of recovery files" implies backup, maybe selectively or by drive imaging. Maybe your could expand your description of what it is you are doing/using when you receive that warning message.
39369773-DJpVT.jpg
This is the message keeps coming up
Sure it said copy and paste when I first looked
googley214/12/2019 18:14

This is the message keeps coming up

Do as we said in the comments

[Image]

Something's not adding up here. It looks like the drive has been named "Recovery" but how big is the actual drive? I was mistakenly thinking you had TWO separate drives. You have ONE drive and two partitions, yes? It's puzzling why a recovery partition would 'grow' in size - that's what's throwing me. Can you confirm whether you have just the one hard drive, and if so:

How large is the total drive size
How big is the 'C' partition
How big is the 'D' partition

As a rule, you don't mess with recovery partitions unless you want to delete them completely to pull back the disk space. If you have a disc-based OS and don't mind re-installing if there's ever a problem, this is fine. If not, you need to keep the recovery area for emergencies!
39371612-c4aoB.jpgDoes this help?
googley214/12/2019 20:18

[Image] Does this help?

What the hell's going on there? You've got over 400GB of unallocated space going begging. FAT32 partition? Other? I'm at a loss so I'd see what others say. It looks as if you can easily expand the recovery partition as you have loads of unallocated to use but why there's so many different partitions is odd.

Dell's used to have a separate bit for their "Mediaset" software, recovery partition etc. Did this come like this when you bought it or is it secondhand? At least we know you have a single hard drive now. I would be interested to know what files are lurking on the FAT32 and (Other) partitions - i.e. system files or whatnot? I can see one is for EFI but there's another 'recovery' at 960mb too...
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 14th Dec 2019
Phsycronix14/12/2019 20:31

What the hell's going on there? You've got over 400GB of unallocated space …What the hell's going on there? You've got over 400GB of unallocated space going begging. FAT32 partition? Other? I'm at a loss so I'd see what others say. It looks as if you can easily expand the recovery partition as you have loads of unallocated to use but why there's so many different partitions is odd.Dell's used to have a separate bit for their "Mediaset" software, recovery partition etc. Did this come like this when you bought it or is it secondhand? I can't believe a manufacturer would ship such an unorganised drive. At least we know you have a single hard drive now. I would be interested to know what files are lurking on the FAT32 and (Other) partitions - i.e. system files or whatnot?

Its a HP Laptop, I purchased it second hand. This is what I can get for the FAT32 partition:
39371895-3Lju5.jpg
googley214/12/2019 20:36

Its a HP Laptop, I purchased it second hand. This is what I can get for …Its a HP Laptop, I purchased it second hand. This is what I can get for the FAT32 partition: [Image]

Yes, the FAT32 partition is for the EFI boot options. You don't want to mess with that one. As it was secondhand (what I thought you'd say!) I can't say what the previous owner was doing. If I were to guess, I'd say a dual boot with something else and they've deleted that partition - hence the unallocated space. You could bolt another portion of that onto your recovery space that's running low. Then bang the rest onto your main "C" drive. Tons of space to play with.

Still wondering why the recovery space is growing that much. Usually this is like an 'image' of your machine when it was fresh and this is used if you want to rewind the computer back to how it was from the factory. This doesn't tend to change in size. Apart from that, it could be a scheduled "back-up" (a system snapshot) which would grow as system files are added to the computer during Windows updates etc.
You could bolt another portion of that onto your recovery space that's running low. Then bang the rest onto your main "C" drive. Tons of space to play with.

Whats the easiest way to do this and have no technical experience in laptops?
Take a read at @scorpio_king 's excellent link he posted. Especially the section "How to Resize a Partition: Expanding and Contracting with Computer Management in Windows 10"

I take it you are using Windows 10? You can use the inbuilt disk management tool to achieve the result you want.
googley214/12/2019 17:13

Its no wind-up, the D Drive is the recovery drive and keeps saying its …Its no wind-up, the D Drive is the recovery drive and keeps saying its full. There is only one recovery file in it so need to enlarge the space to make storage for more than one set of recovery files.

[Image]

Guys, we're probably looking at this from the wrong angle and so possibly offering destructive solutions. The manufacturer's "Recovery Partition" only exists as the storage space to hold the image file that can restore the drive to the manufacturer's original settings. There should be zero requirement to ever add to that partition; this is why the "Reocovery Partition" is usually no natively visible to the OS. Changing the contents and or size of the Recovery Partition can render it unusable for the purpose of recovery. But OP (or a tool within OPs installation) is attempting to write additional data to the Recovery Partion, for a reason that OP has not indicated. We should be requesting the OP identifies what OP or the OS is doing to result in the error message being displayed prior to offering solutions, to avoid offering a potentially destructiove solution, so:
OP, to repeat the earlier Qs: maybe your could expand your description of what it is you are doing/using when you receive that warning message.
AndyRoyd14/12/2019 20:57

Guys, we're probably looking at this from the wrong angle and so possibly …Guys, we're probably looking at this from the wrong angle and so possibly offering destructive solutions. The manufacturer's "Recovery Partition" only exists as the storage space to hold the image file that can restore the drive to the manufacturer's original settings. There should be zero requirement to ever add to that partition; this is why the "Reocovery Partition" is usually no natively visible to the OS. Changing the contents and or size of the Recovery Partition can render it unusable for the purpose of recovery. But OP (or a tool within OPs installation) is attempting to write additional data to the Recovery Partion, for a reason that OP has not indicated. We should be requesting the OP identifies what OP or the OS is doing to result in the error message being displayed prior to offering solutions, to avoid offering a potentially destructiove solution, so:OP, to repeat the earlier Qs: maybe your could expand your description of what it is you are doing/using when you receive that warning message.

I am not doing anything, I am just on internet browsing and it just keeps appearing. I have just moved the recovery file to the c drive as others said and now its stopped. Just concerned that it will come back again.
googley214/12/2019 21:01

I am not doing anything, I am just on internet browsing and it just keeps …I am not doing anything, I am just on internet browsing and it just keeps appearing. I have just moved the recovery file to the c drive as others said and now its stopped. Just concerned that it will come back again.

If you moved the manufacturer's recovery file you may as well delete it as the manufacturer's recovery process will no longer function. But before you do:
have you recently used Windows to reset your device, and/or have you recently used the manufacturer's tool to reset the device?
AndyRoyd14/12/2019 21:04

If you moved the manufacturer's recovery file you may as well delete it as …If you moved the manufacturer's recovery file you may as well delete it as the manufacturer's recovery process will no longer function. But before you do:have you recently used Windows to reset your device, and/or have you recently used the manufacturer's tool to reset the device?

Yes the laptop was reset to manufacturers standard earlier this week as it kept doing its own thing and not what I wanted. I used the reset under Windows to clear it all up.
googley214/12/2019 21:07

Yes the laptop was reset to manufacturers standard earlier this week as it …Yes the laptop was reset to manufacturers standard earlier this week as it kept doing its own thing and not what I wanted. I used the reset under Windows to clear it all up.

Doing it's own thing???
Phsycronix14/12/2019 21:11

Doing it's own thing???

Yes it opened programs I didnt ask for, sometimes 20 copies of Word etc, and when I asked it to do something like close a program it wouldnt do anything, got sick of rebooting and using control panel to shut things down.
googley214/12/2019 21:15

Yes it opened programs I didnt ask for, sometimes 20 copies of Word etc, …Yes it opened programs I didnt ask for, sometimes 20 copies of Word etc, and when I asked it to do something like close a program it wouldnt do anything, got sick of rebooting and using control panel to shut things down.

That's not good. Sounds as if you had some sort of "nasty" on there.
Phsycronix14/12/2019 21:18

That's not good. Sounds as if you had some sort of "nasty" on there.

Yes thats what I ended up thinking, its stopped since I reinstalled everything again, now just this drive space to sort.
googley214/12/2019 21:07

Yes the laptop was reset to manufacturers standard earlier this week as it …Yes the laptop was reset to manufacturers standard earlier this week as it kept doing its own thing and not what I wanted. I used the reset under Windows to clear it all up.

K, there you have it. Windows has done its own thing and ignored the manufacturer's restoration option. That is effectively of no real consequence if you are happy with the current function of the installation, but it means you won't ever be able to use the manufacturer's reset option (which could be an OS version from years ago depending how old your device is, so effectively undesireable).
If you are comfortable in trusting Windows to be able to manage future restorations, do nothing and just enjoy the machine. You have half of your drive inaccessible to the OS but that likely doesn't matter to you as you OS+data drive (C) is only using 15% of its capacity so has ample capacity for future use of your choice, it just looks messy whilst not being performance-detrimental.
googley214/12/2019 21:19

Yes thats what I ended up thinking, its stopped since I reinstalled …Yes thats what I ended up thinking, its stopped since I reinstalled everything again, now just this drive space to sort.

Well, that's good news. The bad news is, you may have upset ever being able to do that again. That's why increasing the size of the 'recovery' partition was a safer thought than taking the data out of there and sticking it somewhere else. I would try (and it's a bit like closing the stable door after the horse etc.) moving that data back.

I keep wondering why there are TWO recovery partitions? It's a bit mysterious really.
@AndyRoyd

Any ideas as to why their recovery partition would 'grow' to exceed it's allocated space?
Phsycronix14/12/2019 21:23

...That's why increasing the size of the 'recovery' partition was a safer …...That's why increasing the size of the 'recovery' partition was a safer thought than taking the data out of there and sticking it somewhere else.

Altering the size of the recovery partition renders it useless for its intended purpose.
AndyRoyd14/12/2019 21:27

Altering the size of the recovery partition renders it useless for its …Altering the size of the recovery partition renders it useless for its intended purpose.

Well it didn't on my Dell machine. The data inside remained intact.
Phsycronix14/12/2019 21:26

@AndyRoyd Any ideas as to why their recovery partition would 'grow' to …@AndyRoyd Any ideas as to why their recovery partition would 'grow' to exceed it's allocated space?

Windoze is performing an automated archiving of files to assist with future restorations.
Phsycronix14/12/2019 21:28

Well it didn't on my Dell machine. The data inside remained intact.

And have you tried to use Dell's recovery utility since you resized it?
AndyRoyd14/12/2019 21:29

And have you tried to use Dell's recovery utility since you resized it?

Probably about 2 or 3 times if memory serves me! It's an old brute but an excellent workhorse...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions