How to apply for car insurance without knowing the car plate number?

Found 11th Mar
Hi
Iam getting a new car soon.
I don't have the car plate number yet, but i know its model and specs.

I saw at insurance website an option to apply for insurance using the car's specs without having the number.

My question how would the dvla knows that the insurance i have paid is related to the car iam driving or going to be driving?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskFinance & Utilities
12 Comments
They won't sell you the insurance until you supply the reg. All you'll get is an estimate.
Search car dealers online for the same make and model car, and year and use that registration number. I've done it. Will get you a quote that will give you an idea of cost.. Is that what you wanted to do
Edited by: "wayners" 11th Mar
wayners7 m ago

Search car dealers online for the same make and model car, and year and …Search car dealers online for the same make and model car, and year and use that registration number. I've done it. Will get you a quote that will give you an idea of cost.. Is that what you wanted to do

Thanks for replying.

So, if i don't have the plate, this means all i can get is just an estimation, and i can't apply for it till i get the plate number?

Correct me if iam wrong
Ghostrecon4 m ago

Thanks for replying.So, if i don't have the plate, this means all i can …Thanks for replying.So, if i don't have the plate, this means all i can get is just an estimation, and i can't apply for it till i get the plate number?Correct me if iam wrong

Correct. You need registration plate number of the car you want to buy so quote stands to use later. To get an idea of price use any plate off a similar car
Edited by: "wayners" 11th Mar
You normally have the option of "unknown yet". The quote normally holds for x amount of days and rarely once you get the plate does it change. When I changed myself my own company literally just asked me to supply the plate the day I was picking it up as have to ring them anyhow to flip over. Only single time mine ever varied from the quote (by £15) was weirdly because I went for a personal plate though was was because you got to reg the car, buy the plate and then change over so was probably just an admin fee.
Most car companies also have drive away insurance for a short number of days with a stupidly high access which keeps you right. If they don't during handover they require proof of insurance before giving you the keys.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 11th Mar
I'm curious - why it hasn't plates?

From things no one has covered yet here:
Insurance on a Chassis Number?
veni_vidi_emere6 m ago

I'm curious - why it hasn't plates?From things no one has covered yet …I'm curious - why it hasn't plates?From things no one has covered yet here: Insurance on a Chassis Number?

Lease
Ghostrecon10 m ago

Lease

They should be able to give you the reg at least a week before you get the car. I had mine 1-2 weeks before!
cmdr_elito18 m ago

They should be able to give you the reg at least a week before you get the …They should be able to give you the reg at least a week before you get the car. I had mine 1-2 weeks before!

I got it, but when i search for it in the quotation insurance website, it doesn't show
If it is a lease just call the supplying dealer...
Ghostrecon1 h, 6 m ago

I got it, but when i search for it in the quotation insurance website, it …I got it, but when i search for it in the quotation insurance website, it doesn't show

veni_vidi_emere1 h, 41 m ago

I'm curious - why it hasn't plates?From things no one has covered yet …I'm curious - why it hasn't plates?From things no one has covered yet here: Insurance on a Chassis Number?

You cannot reg a vehicle until the chassis number has been "made", then in it's own right once you "create" the vehicle a plate is linked against it. It is possible before the car is built, once the manufactuer allocates the chassis number to register the vehicle but you want that only done right before shipping otherwise you are prematurely aging the vehicle (also tax starts from the date of reg). Went through all these options myself as I was cutting it fine to ensure delverly and reg before the end of March last year (new tax laws would have cost me a fortune). Though off course you could be buying a "stock" car, which is already built and laying somewhere for dear knows how long, and they could register it if you really wanted straight away as all details are available, but again tax starts when it is reg'd.

Dealers normally have a "book" of plates resevered against them, having the plate being given to yourself before deliverly doesn't mean the car has actually been registered yet. They all normally hold off until a shipment date has been given. That would be why the plate you have doesn't show up yet.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 11th Mar
cecilmcroberts8 h, 30 m ago

You cannot reg a vehicle until the chassis number has been "made", then in …You cannot reg a vehicle until the chassis number has been "made", then in it's own right once you "create" the vehicle a plate is linked against it. It is possible before the car is built, once the manufactuer allocates the chassis number to register the vehicle but you want that only done right before shipping otherwise you are prematurely aging the vehicle (also tax starts from the date of reg). Went through all these options myself as I was cutting it fine to ensure delverly and reg before the end of March last year (new tax laws would have cost me a fortune). Though off course you could be buying a "stock" car, which is already built and laying somewhere for dear knows how long, and they could register it if you really wanted straight away as all details are available, but again tax starts when it is reg'd.Dealers normally have a "book" of plates resevered against them, having the plate being given to yourself before deliverly doesn't mean the car has actually been registered yet. They all normally hold off until a shipment date has been given. That would be why the plate you have doesn't show up yet.

Awesome explanation
you are a star
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions