Groups

How to arrange a courier to collect an ebay item I want to buy?

I would like to buy a large item that the seller has listed as 'collection in person'. However they live on the other side of the country. Is there a service that would delivery this item to me?

18 Comments

Parcel force , Hermes

You need to check with the seller first that they will allow this as it means they have to pack it and stay in awaiting the carrier. You also need the weight and size dimensions. If it's large then it may be too large for most carriers. You could try Shiply.

As above, have you checked they will accept a courier collection?

Personally if I list for collection then I will not accept collection by courier.
    Edited by: "joshp" 20th Aug 2016

Original Poster

It's a cat back exhaust system for a car. I'm just waiting on there reply.

joshp

As above, have you checked they will accept a courier collection? … As above, have you checked they will accept a courier collection? Personally if I list for collection then I will not accept collection by courier.

I'd agree tbh. The reason I list 'collection only' is because I can't be bothered measuring, weighing, sourcing appropriate packaging, and parcelling up. Still, every time I do, I get ppl asking if I'll post. Even had people bidding, winning, then emailing to say ' could you just pop it in some packaging/a box, and just nip to the post office what gets me is I'm happy to get the lower price you get for collection only items. Not criticising you, op, just making the point that it's cos I either don't have the time or can't be bothered. If buyer was to say a friend would be collecting, and I didn't need to mess about with weighing/measuring/packaging, I wouldn't mind.

Original Poster

juggler1

I'd agree tbh. The reason I list 'collection only' is because I can't be … I'd agree tbh. The reason I list 'collection only' is because I can't be bothered measuring, weighing, sourcing appropriate packaging, and parcelling up. Still, every time I do, I get ppl asking if I'll post. Even had people bidding, winning, then emailing to say ' could you just pop it in some packaging/a box, and just nip to the post office what gets me is I'm happy to get the lower price you get for collection only items. Not criticising you, op, just making the point that it's cos I either don't have the time or can't be bothered. If buyer was to say a friend would be collecting, and I didn't need to mess about with weighing/measuring/packaging, I wouldn't mind.

The seller posted a picture with the box it got delivered in. I would assume I can enter the details for the weight etc online and the courier would just collect it and put a label on it.

You also forget that the seller would have to wait in all day for the couriers if they actually turn up.

If I sell for collection only I would only wait in for an hour slot and would want collection time confirmation.

The seller would also have no seller protection as the buyers account could be hijacked.

Original Poster

The seller has gone to the trouble of advertising it on ebay, then I'm sure he can wait for a courier.
    Edited by: "551625" 20th Aug 2016

ether707

The seller has gone to the trouble of advertising it on ebay, then I'm … The seller has gone to the trouble of advertising it on ebay, then I'm sure he can wait for a courier.

No. The seller has gone to the trouble of advertising it as Collection In Person only. That is a condition of the sale so the seller is well within his rights to cancel the sale if he chooses because you ignored the condition and expected the seller to fall in with your preference after the event. The seller is not obliged to pack the item, print off labels or wait in for your courier.

ether707

The seller has gone to the trouble of advertising it on ebay, then I'm … The seller has gone to the trouble of advertising it on ebay, then I'm sure he can wait for a courier.

Offering collection does not mean waiting in all day for a courier to turn up and prining out labels etc.
    If seller was willing to do that they would have offered to post/courier in the first place

arrowxl.co.uk/ser…ion

This company was used by Amazon for a furniture delivery to me, they focus on larger items

I always say get your courier to come after 7.00pm as I know they don't work this late.
    also say to package an item is £25, my time plus materials.

The seller has gone to the trouble of advertising it on ebay, then I'm sure he can wait for a courier.

Corrected for you

The buyer has gone to the trouble of buying it on ebay, then I'm sure he can collect

Hi,Have you tried the anyvan website.It's an auction type where couriers compete against each other to offer you the lowest price

ether707

It takes 5 minutes to list an item and when arranging for a person to collection I give a 30 minute window. That's 35 minutes, not entire day sitting at home plus the hassle of packaging, getting sizes and then weighing an item.

I guess you're the type to probably bid first then ask this after you've won oO

Original Poster

joshp

It takes 5 minutes to list an item and when arranging for a person to … It takes 5 minutes to list an item and when arranging for a person to collection I give a 30 minute window. That's 35 minutes, not entire day sitting at home plus the hassle of packaging, getting sizes and then weighing an item. I guess you're the type to probably bid first then ask this after you've won oO

I've never bought anything used on ebay before. The seller offered to use a courier. So you don't know until you ask. So you can do one

ether707

I've never bought anything used on ebay before. The seller offered to use … I've never bought anything used on ebay before. The seller offered to use a courier. So you don't know until you ask. So you can do one

Did I ever say they wouldn't? No, I just said to ask as most people wouldn't!

So get on your bike you blithering idiot X)

Original Poster

joshp

Did I ever say they wouldn't? No, I just said to ask as most people … Did I ever say they wouldn't? No, I just said to ask as most people wouldn't! So get on your bike you blithering idiot X)

Takes one to know one.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1547
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767273
      3. Spotify Family Premium share614
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***317

See more discussions