How to attach christmas lights to wooden fence without damaging the fence

Posted 3rd Dec
As in the title. I tried outdoor command strips but because the wood in this weather is never completly dry it just comes straight back off again... The fence is solid so I can't just tie some wire around it.

The only thing I can find is cable clips but I would have to hammer them into the fence which I'm not too keen on!

I know you can get clips to attach to a roof or gutter, is there anything similar out there for a wooden fence?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Just use cable clips man. It's a garden fence, not an antique writing desk.
36 Comments
Zip ties an option?

if wire isn't then I guess those won't be ..

the small (tele) clips won't much of a hole in the fence surely?
Edited by: "arcangel111" 3rd Dec
What about little screw hooks? used for hanging picture frames?
arcangel11103/12/2019 15:06

What about little screw hooks? used for hanging picture frames?

Do screw hooks make smaller holes than cable clips?
well I don't see an issue screwing in holes
Sounds like I might have to go with cable clips. I'm just not 100% sure who owns the fence (only recently moved in) so don't want to annoy the neighbour too quickly!
hero998903/12/2019 15:20

Sounds like I might have to go with cable clips. I'm just … Sounds like I might have to go with cable clips. I'm just not 100% sure who owns the fence (only recently moved in) so don't want to annoy the neighbour too quickly!

You own your side of the fence, you can hang anything you like on it as long as you don't damage it
Any particular reason that you don't wish to "damage" the fence? I mean, drawing pins for instance wouldn't cause that much damage. Mind you, it looks like; from your 'tiny' photo; you could get some garden wire behind the cross-timbers so just create a loop for your cable to pass through. Or alternatively just get some stiff wire and create some small "S" hooks to hang the cable on. No damage whatsoever. There's always a way to do almost anything...
Looking at the picture it actually needs some nails or screws to join it up.
Phsycronix03/12/2019 15:30

Any particular reason that you don't wish to "damage" the fence? I mean, …Any particular reason that you don't wish to "damage" the fence? I mean, drawing pins for instance wouldn't cause that much damage. Mind you, it looks like; from your 'tiny' photo; you could get some garden wire behind the cross-timbers so just create a loop for your cable to pass through. Or alternatively just get some stiff wire and create some small "S" hooks to hang the cable on. No damage whatsoever. There's always a way to do almost anything...

I like the idea of making clips out of wire. Something like diy.com/dep…prd ? any worry about it potentially falling off if it got too windy though?
hero998903/12/2019 15:44

I like the idea of making clips out of wire. Something like …I like the idea of making clips out of wire. Something like https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-steel-steel-wire-1-1mm-x-50m/1521253_BQ.prd ? any worry about it potentially falling off if it got too windy though?

Crikey! What if there's a hurricane? Or a flood? Or Jesus himself returns and takes offence to your lights eh? What then?

Seriously, you're reading too much into this. You either 'permanently' fix them to the fence for "maximum" security or you do what you can to achieve your goal of 'temp' fixing for minimal damage. I can't possibly tell you "what" might happen. I'd just get some wire from Wilko's/QD/Poundland etc. and feed a short piece through the cross-member on the fence. Give it a twist to secure it, but leave the "tails" of the wire poking outwards. Do enough of those along the length of the fence. Hang your lights using the "tails" of the wire and twist them around to secure. Do it enough times so as not to come undone easily and do it close/tight to the fence so the light cable doesn't flop around if it does get a bit windy.

Oh and last of all, pray JC doesn't return as I have it on good authority that he DOESN'T like Xmas lights...
Phsycronix03/12/2019 15:55

Crikey! What if there's a hurricane? Or a flood? Or Jesus himself returns …Crikey! What if there's a hurricane? Or a flood? Or Jesus himself returns and takes offence to your lights eh? What then?Seriously, you're reading too much into this. You either 'permanently' fix them to the fence for "maximum" security or you do what you can to achieve your goal of 'temp' fixing for minimal damage. I can't possibly tell you "what" might happen. I'd just get some wire from Wilko's/QD/Poundland etc. and feed a short piece through the cross-member on the fence. Give it a twist to secure it, but leave the "tails" of the wire poking outwards. Do enough of those along the length of the fence. Hang your lights using the "tails" of the wire and twist them around to secure. Do it enough times so as not to come undone easily and do it close/tight to the fence so the light cable doesn't flop around if it does get a bit windy.Oh and last of all, pray JC doesn't return as I have it on good authority that he DOESN'T like Xmas lights...

Haha okay okay, I am likely overthinking this. I'll get some wire tonight and get it done. Thanks everyone!
Surprised no one's mentioned sky hooks
hero998903/12/2019 15:58

Haha okay okay, I am likely overthinking this. I'll get some wire … Haha okay okay, I am likely overthinking this. I'll get some wire tonight and get it done. Thanks everyone!

Judging by your photo, technically , if that's your side of the fence it should be your fence. The makings eg. Struts, supports should be on the owners side, at least in this area.
PS. Generally the right hand side fence is yours, facing garden back to house view!
Edited by: "compadre" 3rd Dec
I don't know if this helps or makes it look more complicated but it's all I could whip up!

39243952-01wNO.jpg
So, wire behind the cross rail, then over the front and twist a couple of times to secure your "hanger" but leave enough "tail" wire. Doing it this way means you can leave your hanger up when you remove the lights, by just untwisting the tail.
Phsycronix03/12/2019 16:07

I don't know if this helps or makes it look more complicated but it's all …I don't know if this helps or makes it look more complicated but it's all I could whip up![Image] So, wire behind the cross rail, then over the front and twist a couple of times to secure your "hanger" but leave enough "tail" wire. Doing it this way means you can leave your hanger up when you remove the lights, by just untwisting the tail.

Perfect, I would have done it this way.
Phsycronix03/12/2019 16:07

I don't know if this helps or makes it look more complicated but it's all …I don't know if this helps or makes it look more complicated but it's all I could whip up![Image] So, wire behind the cross rail, then over the front and twist a couple of times to secure your "hanger" but leave enough "tail" wire. Doing it this way means you can leave your hanger up when you remove the lights, by just untwisting the tail.

Beautiful picture as well! Will see how it goes tonight!
hero998903/12/2019 16:23

Beautiful picture as well! Will see how it goes tonight!

Well, it's certainly no "Photoshop" masterpiece but it serves it's purpose! Hehe.
I take it your lights are designed for outdoor use? I don't want to see pictures in the news of your neighbour stretched out like a flag on a pole as he pops his head over your fence to say "Hi"

Or do I? Hmmm.... (sinister laugh ensues )
Also, as you have top and bottom cross-rails you could do a cool "zig-zag /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\" pattern along the fence. It would make it quite secure too. If you have enough lights, that is...
hero998903/12/2019 15:20

Sounds like I might have to go with cable clips. I'm just … Sounds like I might have to go with cable clips. I'm just not 100% sure who owns the fence (only recently moved in) so don't want to annoy the neighbour too quickly!

These days, people usually have the nicest side facing into their own garden and the ugly side with the rails on it facing the neighbours when they put up a fence, except along the front where you'd have the best side facing the street to make your house look smart.

So it probably is your neighbours fence.
I use a Staple gun to put them on my fence. You can just pull them back out with a pair of pliers.
Cable ties.
Someone has already mentioned drawing pins and they work great, just trap the cable behind the top part of the pin, if the wires are separate twisted wires you can put the pin through the middle of them.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 3rd Dec
deeky03/12/2019 15:07

Woah, hang on a mo, have they had the fence valued yet
Garden twine around the posts.
BaronVonDouche03/12/2019 17:38

I use a Staple gun to put them on my fence. You can just pull them back …I use a Staple gun to put them on my fence. You can just pull them back out with a pair of pliers.

You can get staple gun for "telephone cable" which leave a gap big enough for the cable so there would be lots of room for your lights cabling without it being pressed into the wood - also leaving it easier to ply them out again …
arcangel11104/12/2019 07:17

You can get staple gun for "telephone cable" which leave a gap big enough …You can get staple gun for "telephone cable" which leave a gap big enough for the cable so there would be lots of room for your lights cabling without it being pressed into the wood - also leaving it easier to ply them out again …

True. I just adjusted the power on the staple gun and it basically does the same thing, just doesn't go in as far.
BaronVonDouche04/12/2019 12:27

True. I just adjusted the power on the staple gun and it basically does …True. I just adjusted the power on the staple gun and it basically does the same thing, just doesn't go in as far.

I have mine leftover in my tool box from when I was a young NTL cable installation technician along with all my other tools that mysteriously vanished when it came to handing them back in!
Hot glue gun.
When you’ve solved the Christmas lights mystery, get yourself some Ducksback in the January sales.
landros104/12/2019 22:26

Hot glue gun.

Not a chance on outdoor timber, staple gun's the best solution with U staples!
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 4th Dec
Phsycronix03/12/2019 16:34

Also, as you have top and bottom cross-rails you could do a cool "zig-zag …Also, as you have top and bottom cross-rails you could do a cool "zig-zag /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\" pattern along the fence. It would make it quite secure too. If you have enough lights, that is...

You're really getting into this now...
deeky05/12/2019 08:18

You're really getting into this now...

Glad you said "Getting into" and not "off on." Hehe.

You know what they say:- "Little things please little minds." That deffo applies to me... I like problem solving...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants