How to attach fat balls to a bell bird feeder?

Found 12th Jul
I bought a couple of ceramic bell bird feeders yesterday from The Range. When I went out later to pick up fat balls the only ones that I saw came unnetted, so I've ended up buying a bag of unnetted ones. Can somebody explain to me the best way to attach these to the bell feeder - inside the bell feeder there is a hook. I actually tried using a thin screwdriver to make a hole in the fat ball, to thread through a piece of string, but it just crumbled. Any suggestions please? Thank you.
Community Updates
AskPet Supplies
7 Comments
We pop them inside the peanut type feeders, You Can run a piece of string through them, if drilled I thought. This time of the year the birds should be good for food, with the bugs about. A bird bath is quite nice to watch when they use it.
Buy some oranges and carefully open the net bag, then reuse to add fat balls and tie it with a bit of garden twine.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 12th Jul
Some old fish net stockings or as mentioned above use the netting that fruit and veg is packaged in
Edited by: "ding" 13th Jul
The RSPB ask you to put fat balls out without netting as birds get tangled in it. Is there any way you can adapt the feeder so that you can have the balls but no net?
You need to mount the balls just near the end of the bell
Cakeboy791 h, 8 m ago

You need to mount the balls just near the end of the bell

Aren't the balls usually at the opposite end to the bell end?
I went with near as it was still a bit chilly here
mrty43 m ago

Aren't the balls usually at the opposite end to the bell end?

Post a comment
@
    Text