Expired

How to avoid Ebay's selling fees..?

Found 14th Feb 2013
Haven't used ebay in a while so that's why im asking questions here

Long story short..

Just sold something and the final fees are £50 or something...
How can I avoid them trying to take this out my paypal?

I will be receiving Cash On collection but can they still take their part from my paypal once I've said it's been paid for?
Community Updates
23 Comments
You made an agreement when listing the item to pay the insertion and final value fees when you sold the item. They will take their fees from you regardless of whether you mark it paid or not.

I wont say how you *could* avoid paying them.
There are several components that make up eBay fees. When you put an item up for sale, there's a listing fee. When it sells, either by auction or buy it now, there's a final value fee. Then there's another fee if you are paid by Paypal. Getting paid in cash only avoids the last of these, You will still have to pay the first two.
Original Poster
ok thanks
Yes they still take it as a "final value fee" as per ebay rules. One way i have used in the past- although not relevant if it's cash on collection- is to give the item a ridiculous postage fee and start bidding at a low cost. For example if you are selling something that's worth say £30 with £5 postage, start the bidding at £5 and add postage at £30. As e-bay only take a final value fee of the selling price and not postage you will be charged a lot less, but still receive the price you were after
Strictly against e-bay rules and you might get your listing removed if someone complains about high postage charges but hey!..Ebay scam enough out of sellers,getting a fee 3 times....1.Listing fees...2.final value fees and...3 paypal fees as ebay also own paypal( ever wonder why they insist a seller must accept paypal as a payment option!!)

Only way you could avoid the fees in your situation is for you and the buyer to "in theory" agree not to go through with the transaction maybe saying "the item is no longer available"
Hope this helps you save a few quid in the future
Edited by: "pimmy" 14th Feb 2013
Original Poster
pimmy

Yes they still take it as a "final value fee" as per ebay rules. One way … Yes they still take it as a "final value fee" as per ebay rules. One way i have used in the past- although not relevant if it's cash on collection- is to give the item a ridiculous postage fee and start bidding at a low cost. For example if you are selling something that's worth say £30 with £5 postage, start the bidding at £5 and add postage at £30. As e-bay only take a final value fee of the selling price and not postage you will be charged a lot less, but still receive the price you were afterStrictly against e-bay rules and you might get your listing removed if someone complains about high postage charges but hey!..Ebay scam enough out of sellers,getting a fee 3 times....1.Listing fees...2.final value fees and...3 paypal fees as ebay also own paypal( ever wonder why they insist a seller must accept paypal as a payment option!!)Hope this helps you save a few quid in the future

I think someone would find out if I put
Starting bid at £5 then postage at £1,145

Thanks for your help anyway, I'm wondering...My paypal is Dry as well as the bank account I use for PP, I'm guessing they will just put negative balance on my PP?
Yes they still take it as a "final value fee" as per ebay rules. One way i have used in the past- although not relevant if it's cash on collection- is to give the item a ridiculous postage fee and start bidding at a low cost. For example if you are selling something that's worth say £30 with £5 postage, start the bidding at £5 and add postage at £30. As e-bay only take a final value fee of the selling price and not postage you will be charged a lot less, but still receive the price you were after
Strictly against e-bay rules and you might get your listing removed if someone complains about high postage charges but hey!..Ebay scam enough out of sellers,getting a fee 3 times....1.Listing fees...2.final value fees and...3 paypal fees as ebay also own paypal( ever wonder why they insist a seller must accept paypal as a payment option!!)

Hope this helps you save a few quid in the future
dylanjb100

I think someone would find out if I put Starting bid at £5 then postage … I think someone would find out if I put Starting bid at £5 then postage at £1,145 ;)Thanks for your help anyway, I'm wondering...My paypal is Dry as well as the bank account I use for PP, I'm guessing they will just put negative balance on my PP?

If they cant take it from either pp balance or bank account it's just left as owing on your ebay fees. After so long if its not paid you will be restricted from bidding or listing
pimmy

If they cant take it from either pp balance or bank account it's just … If they cant take it from either pp balance or bank account it's just left as owing on your ebay fees. After so long if its not paid you will be restricted from bidding or listing

They eventually 'sell' the debt on to a debt recovery agency
sell to CEX instead
Original Poster
fweddy

sell to CEX instead

I don't think they specalise in motorbikes ?
I wouldn't put the postage ridiculously high as anyone could just report it and it would be removed as it's clearly against there rules.

If they are paying cash on collection then ask the buyer if they want a slightly reduced price if they agree to cancel the sale, I did this recenty and meant that I gave the buyer a cheaper than expected price and I didn't have to pay any final value fee.
Surely giving the buyer £25 off and saving £25 is better than ebay making the money!
Original Poster
jamesjamesjamesjamesjames

I wouldn't put the postage ridiculously high as anyone could just report … I wouldn't put the postage ridiculously high as anyone could just report it and it would be removed as it's clearly against there rules.If they are paying cash on collection then ask the buyer if they want a slightly reduced price if they agree to cancel the sale, I did this recenty and meant that I gave the buyer a cheaper than expected price and I didn't have to pay any final value fee.Surely giving the buyer £25 off and saving £25 is better than ebay making the money!

I said £50 as a rough estimate of what I've heard from others...I don't actually know what the prices are...Is there a way to find out?
Original Poster
Who is the idiot voting down on everything.
[quote=dylanjb100]Who is the idiot voting down on everything.[/quo

probably ebay's managing director lol
dylanjb100

I said £50 as a rough estimate of what I've heard from others...I don't … I said £50 as a rough estimate of what I've heard from others...I don't actually know what the prices are...Is there a way to find out?

pages.ebay.co.uk/hel…tml

If they are paying cash on collection then ask the buyer if they want a … If they are paying cash on collection then ask the buyer if they want a slightly reduced price if they agree to cancel the sale, I did this recenty and meant that I gave the buyer a cheaper than expected price and I didn't have to pay any final value fee.Surely giving the buyer £25 off and saving £25 is better than ebay making the money!

Doing the trade off eBay is risky. The buyer doesn't get protection and, as it's against eBay's T&C, the seller can get suspended/banned if found out.

If they are paying cash on collection then ask the buyer if they want a … If they are paying cash on collection then ask the buyer if they want a slightly reduced price if they agree to cancel the sale, I did this recenty and meant that I gave the buyer a cheaper than expected price and I didn't have to pay any final value fee.Surely giving the buyer £25 off and saving £25 is better than ebay making the money!

dylanjb100

Who is the idiot voting down on everything.

What protection does ebay offer when a buyer pays cash on collection anyway?

Apologies I got a bit carried away . . .

[quote=ceres] [quote=jamesjamesjamesjamesjames] What protection does … [quote=ceres] [quote=jamesjamesjamesjamesjames] What protection does ebay offer when a buyer pays cash on collection anyway?

The opportunity to open a dispute and have eBay arbitrate. You can't do that if the trade is done off eBay.
Don't sell on ebay?
List it as a buy it now with accepts offers, when you receive an offer you are happy with contact the potential buyer sell it direct cancel the listing as no longer available, item is sold with no final valuation fee so all money goes to you.

Unfortunetley over the years the cost of selling on ebay has got ridiculous I feel they are now being far to greedy, bearing in mind paypal also belongs to them they get double the money for anything they sell. They also own Gumtree which is of course free
Edited by: "glynlaw" 14th Feb 2013
You can ask the buyer to agree to cancel the transaction on ebay, Providing they're happy with that, You could perhaps knock some money off as a kind gesture, Will save you some money.
Banned
link to t&c with motors on ebay anything under £3500.00 is a set £20.00 regarless

Edited by: "sumo999" 14th Feb 2013
shauneco

You can ask the buyer to agree to cancel the transaction on ebay, … You can ask the buyer to agree to cancel the transaction on ebay, Providing they're happy with that, You could perhaps knock some money off as a kind gesture, Will save you some money.

Link to eBay T&C on selling off eBay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants