How to Avoid Handling Charges on imports from outside EU

Found 2nd Jul 2013
Have you ever bought something from USA on ebay? Many times I have ended up paying the 20% VAT and then the rip off handling charge of ParcelForce etc.

I have just spent ages talking to HM Revenue & Customs and managed to get following info:

When buying from US insist that the following is added to the package.

GOODS TO BE CUSTOMS CLEARED BY IMPORTER

This will cause a delay as you will have to pay directly to HM Revenue & Customs, but that's all you will pay. Royal Mail will then deliver.

The only fly in the ointment on this is that I was advised to ensure that the item is sent via postal service which can pretty slow from US.
Community Updates
Misc
7 Comments
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m50wcydJNr1qekpbc.gif
Is it £12 admin charge if RM pay on your behalf ? What is current cost? Or does that number vary upon Import duty value ?
Edited by: "dontasciime" 2nd Jul 2013
So instead of a good chance of getting off paying any duty (I've NEVER paid or been requested to pay any duty), you're whacking a big invite for a customs charge on your package ???
My experience of importing from US is very different from yours. The choice is yours of trying to avoid VAT due.

The first responder ironically can be bothered to post. Weird!!
Possibly the worst HUKD post I have ever read.

So instead of a good chance of getting off paying any duty (I've NEVER … So instead of a good chance of getting off paying any duty (I've NEVER paid or been requested to pay any duty), you're whacking a big invite for a customs charge on your package ???

You're either lucky, or not importing valuable goods. My experience is that while the vast majority of products sent from abroad avoids Custom and Excise duties, tariffs and VAT, occasionally a package is stopped, examined and a charge to the authorities and courier fee is required. This is especially the case if use priority mail (EMS) or a Courier such as UPS, making the likelihood of paying additional charges increase. So while you are right about avoiding duties and tax, if there is a high probability of your item being stopped, and you haven't made the appropriate prepayment or paperwork to the Customs the advice is sound.
Edited by: "nemesiz" 3rd Jul 2013
nemesiz

You're either lucky, or not importing valuable goods. My experience is … You're either lucky, or not importing valuable goods. My experience is that while the vast majority of products sent from abroad avoids Custom and Excise duties, tariffs and VAT, occasionally a package is stopped, examined and a charge to the authorities and courier fee is required. This is especially the case if use priority mail (EMS) or a Courier such as UPS, making the likelihood of paying additional charges increase. So while you are right about avoiding duties and tax, if there is a high probability of your item being stopped, and you haven't made the appropriate prepayment or paperwork to the Customs the advice is sound.

I agree

Its not a bad idea if you are buying something of low value (e.g £20) as then the duty will be £4 whereas if RM collected it then the bill would be around £16 on top of the £20

if I was buying something high value, then I would risk it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants