How to block nuisance calls on housephone?

Found 4th Jul 2012
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of how to block nuisance calls on a housephone.
The calls have been happening at least once or twice a day and are mainly from one company that try and tell me my computer has been sending error reports and I need to go onto a website to fix, they pretend to be from windows. I rang trading standards after about a month of them ringing and confirmed that windows will not contact you by phone and to contact my provider.
I have contacted virgin who say the only options are to change my landline number which isn't an acceptable option, or to block all withheld numbers from calling which also isn't very good as there are often important calls from withheld numbers that I still need to be able to receive.
I've tried asking them nicely to remove us from the list, i've also called them every name under the sun, it annoys me more as i'm sure those that have no understanding of computers will fall for there scam, however I don't know many asians called Sandee Williams!
Trading standards say they can do nothing because they ring outside of the UK.
Can anyone suggest a way to either block calls from outside UK or to get particular numbers blocked, a log has been kept but this apparently made no difference to virgin.
Many thanks,
Community Updates
MiscVirginWindows
48 Comments
Banned
Have you tried telling them you do not own a computer? They may delete you from their system, instead of wasting money on future calls.
I know exactly how you feel! I'm ex directory, yet still get nuisance calls!
I stopped answering the phone for a couple of weeks (with the pretense that if it was someone/something important, they'd call my mobile) and voila! No calls at all for at least 5 days now!
buy a big whistle:)
or truecall.co.uk/
Original Poster
cejiogu1

Have you tried telling them you do not own a computer? They may delete … Have you tried telling them you do not own a computer? They may delete you from their system, instead of wasting money on future calls.

Yep tried telling them all sorts it doesn't make a difference.

chuckiedoll

I know exactly how you feel! I'm ex directory, yet still get nuisance … I know exactly how you feel! I'm ex directory, yet still get nuisance calls!I stopped answering the phone for a couple of weeks (with the pretense that if it was someone/something important, they'd call my mobile) and voila! No calls at all for at least 5 days now!

That's what I did and it went quite for a few days but then started back again, it's been happening for at least a couple of months, keeps getting more and more annoying, there must be some record and way to stop it!
other than trace them fly over and give them a good kicking is nothing you can do the telephone companies will do nothing unless the call originates from the uk.
as I said can buy the truecall system but its £99
Saintledger

try doing this next time

Brilliant! X)
Original Poster
djnaff

other than trace them fly over and give them a good kicking is nothing … other than trace them fly over and give them a good kicking is nothing you can do the telephone companies will do nothing unless the call originates from the uk.as I said can buy the truecall system but its £99

Might have to consider it soon.
Saintledger

try doing this next time

Yeh it would be nice if it worked, last time I swore at them there response was ''f1ck you muddaf1cker'' so I doubt it would . . .

djnaff

buy a big whistle:)or http://www.truecall.co.uk/

This looks really interesting and something I am going to have to look into it further, many thanks for that :-).
Pretend you are the police and investigating a murder, ask them to provide their details as they must be a friend to be calling this telephone number.See how long you can string them along before they hang up!
James i had the exact same call on/off for a month, i used to just play them up really enjoyed myself tbh, bit sad they have stopped calling me now
OldEnglish

James i had the exact same call on/off for a month, i used to just play … James i had the exact same call on/off for a month, i used to just play them up really enjoyed myself tbh, bit sad they have stopped calling me now

Feel the same way.
There was an indian woman on the phone few days ago going on about ppi...
Was going along with it.
Was quite funny. Then the phone ran out of charge
Original Poster
Raylincs

Pretend you are the police and investigating a murder, ask them to … Pretend you are the police and investigating a murder, ask them to provide their details as they must be a friend to be calling this telephone number.See how long you can string them along before they hang up!

Lol I take it you watched the video?
If I mention trading standards then they hang up, if someone in Asia said you were wanted for a murder there would you really listen?

OldEnglish

James i had the exact same call on/off for a month, i used to just play … James i had the exact same call on/off for a month, i used to just play them up really enjoyed myself tbh, bit sad they have stopped calling me now

I did at first it's just gone on for too long now, i'm not well and i've got to to answer the phone incase it's docs or hospital about appointments (On cancellation list), i've thrown my best insults at them and no matter what I say it doesn't make a difference.
On the other hand could you pm me your phone number and I can pretend i've moved? Sounds like a win win situation to me
Raylincs

Pretend you are the police and investigating a murder, ask them to … Pretend you are the police and investigating a murder, ask them to provide their details as they must be a friend to be calling this telephone number.See how long you can string them along before they hang up!

OldEnglish

Try i will look at fixing my computer, but first tell me what underwear you have on? should do the trick mate
Have your registered with the TPS telephone preference service?
Original Poster
ncolli

Have your registered with the TPS telephone preference service?

Yep
Virgin can block all witheld numbers aand this will work. They also have a pre-dial code that a person with a witheld number can use when calling you so that their exchange will allow the call to be completed. Give them another try.
Original Poster
Old_Wolf

Virgin can block all witheld numbers aand this will work. They also have … Virgin can block all witheld numbers aand this will work. They also have a pre-dial code that a person with a witheld number can use when calling you so that their exchange will allow the call to be completed. Give them another try.

Aye I know they can, I said in the first post that blocking all withheld numbers isn't an option that's suitable for me.
Scream and shout every obscene word you know at them. Works for me.
Are you sure it was not Sandeep Weelyams that rang you?
Edited by: "1616french" 4th Jul 2012
jamesx5 i used to get loads of calls before and was getting really annoyed. But then i decided to play them at their own game. i used to string them along and make them repeat their lines numereous times and put them on hold for 10 -20 mins. now my calls are reduced to a few a month.
i had a window salesman call me so i made out i was interested in a conservatory i arrange for the guy to callaround but gave him a block of flats would have loved to have seen his face when he pulled up
The annoy cal ll I get starts with 0333 can't remember rest of number when answer it no one there can get calls from this number three or four times a day all at different times
Just ordered a cpr call Blocker for £42 delivered off Ebay (refurb).
I have been getting calls for years by Indian callers asking for someone that does not live here so I presume the hits gave a false phone number and it happened to be mine. They come up with all kinds of scams to try and trick me into admitting I am the person.... I told them that if the guy owes money to send someone round and take what they wantfront the address they have but that hasn't worked either. I have laughed at them, reasoned with them, screamed at them, sworn at them and just been silent, none of it worked so if anyone has a real method of shutting them up I would like to know as well...
TPS doesnt stop calls, the amount of people I get telling me I am in the wrong for calling them, they are on the TPS, they have blocked 0800 numbers, witheld numbers etc.................well how come I managed to get through then bright spark?????

Truth is nothing will stop them, although my work is slightly different to the calls you are getting, we are sourced data legitimately and often its the "gatekeepers" who are the fools who try and lambast us. The calls we make to people are following up requests for information, although not ALL the data is correct and sometimes we speak to people who didn't request the info, in that case we apologise and let them get on with their day.

To those of you who blow whistles down the phone, or shout obscenities...........it doesnt really have any effect, chances are you have been put on the file for several call backs just to annoy you. Most if not all calls are recorded and I am sure you can get done for verbal assault now, or since they have your contact details to hand, may end up on Gumtree advertising teacup chihauhau's for sale, or perhaps a bar job which invites application calls in to the early hours.

I dont often get idiots but when I do it makes me laugh, getting all stressed out about a phonecall, just say no, its not difficult, the nicer you are to people who do outbound calls the less likely they are to continue trying you.

What I tend to do is just not answer my house phone, like someone has already said, if they are important to me they have my mobile number, anyone who phones my house now is just after trying to sell me stuff.

Edited by: "Skyebee" 4th Jul 2012
Original Poster
Skyebee

TPS doesnt stop calls, the amount of people I get telling me I am in the … TPS doesnt stop calls, the amount of people I get telling me I am in the wrong for calling them, they are on the TPS, they have blocked 0800 numbers, witheld numbers etc.................well how come I managed to get through then bright spark?????Truth is nothing will stop them, although my work is slightly different to the calls you are getting, we are sourced data legitimately and often its the "gatekeepers" who are the fools who try and lambast us. The calls we make to people are following up requests for information, although not ALL the data is correct and sometimes we speak to people who didn't request the info, in that case we apologise and let them get on with their day.To those of you who blow whistles down the phone, or shout obscenities...........it doesnt really have any effect, chances are you have been put on the file for several call backs just to annoy you. Most if not all calls are recorded and I am sure you can get done for verbal assault now, or since they have your contact details to hand, may end up on Gumtree advertising teacup chihauhau's for sale, or perhaps a bar job which invites application calls in to the early hours.I dont often get idiots but when I do it makes me laugh, getting all stressed out about a phonecall, just say no, its not difficult, the nicer you are to people who do outbound calls the less likely they are to continue trying you.What I tend to do is just not answer my house phone, like someone has already said, if they are important to me they have my mobile number, anyone who phones my house now is just after trying to sell me stuff.

Hi thanks for sharing your experiences relating with your work, unfortunately I don't think they really apply because you're talking about a legitimate company compared with a fraudulent one, also which is presumably meant to be governed (however badly) compared to the foreign one which i'm guessing isn't.

I want to make it very clear that I have only verbally assaulted after receiving over 60 calls from the same company and as a last ditch attempt to stop them ringing me, and for which i'm not sorry about in the slightest, after speaking with trading standards I knew for a fact that it was a scam company trying to defraud me! And I was still nice and polite for ages after!

If they would like to press charges against me in any way for that i'd welcome it, especially as they are the ones who are committing a much more serious offense, fraud on a massive scale!

If a company rings up i'm always polite, and yes everyone knows it can be annoying but at the same time most companies do work within the confines of the law and i'm against those who abuse call center staff as i've had a relative who got that sick of being abused by customers that they left their job, (funnily enough it was mainly Asians living in UK abusing English staff on the phone trying to make fraudulent claims!)

You say that people who whistle or use obscentities doesn't help, but being polite certainly doesn't work nor has it made it worse!

Well I pay for the phone to be able to use it, if I didn't want to be able to use the house phone, I wouldn't pay for the service! Also phone signal not great so like I said in the description, it's not an option to change number, block all withheld or ignore the phone.

Thanks for the suggestions people, i'm certainly going to look into a call blocker that will hopefully eliminate some of the recurring calls of this group of scammers, after watching the panorama programme posted earlier I feel very sorry for one of the women who fell for the scam, went to the website, had her computer taken over, paid £120 to fix, only to have to get a professional to rectify it at further expense.

If any one has any other solutions/suggestions, or has good or negative experience with any particular call blocker i'd be grateful to hear your opinions

Edited by: "jamesjamesjamesjamesjames" 5th Jul 2012
Banned
I just have my answer machine set to answer after 1 ring. If its anyone I know, then they leave a message. Cold callers dont and hang up.

truecall is the best solution but I am not paying to stop these scumbags
The truth is there is nothing you can do to stop the calls as many of the real unwanted ones are from overseas these days. Many of the others you can reduce.

It is a real problem for people who need to be prepared to answer the phone for medical reasons. Most calls from Gps or hospitals operate on a number withheld basis. Therefore any call you answer could be legitimate or not.

I only answer the phone with Hello. Anyone asking for any information is first asked why they are calling. If the answer is not satisfactory I hang up.
If it is a legitimate medical call they will have your exact details. Do not volunteer any information until you are SURE who you are talking to.
Banned
WoolyM

The truth is there is nothing you can do to stop the calls as many of the … The truth is there is nothing you can do to stop the calls as many of the real unwanted ones are from overseas these days. Many of the others you can reduce. It is a real problem for people who need to be prepared to answer the phone for medical reasons. Most calls from Gps or hospitals operate on a number withheld basis. Therefore any call you answer could be legitimate or not.I only answer the phone with Hello. Anyone asking for any information is first asked why they are calling. If the answer is not satisfactory I hang up. If it is a legitimate medical call they will have your exact details. Do not volunteer any information until you are SURE who you are talking to.

yes there is (at a price)

truecall.co.uk/
csiman

yes there is (at a price)http://www.truecall.co.uk/

If you are obliged to take calls from people who operate on a number withheld basis you are always open to some nuisance calls. Even with truecall that will still remain the case
Banned
WoolyM

If you are obliged to take calls from people who operate on a number … If you are obliged to take calls from people who operate on a number withheld basis you are always open to some nuisance calls. Even with truecall that will still remain the case

truecall can reject number withheld calls
WoolyM

It is a real problem for people who need to be prepared to answer the … It is a real problem for people who need to be prepared to answer the phone for medical reasons. Most calls from Gps or hospitals operate on a number withheld basis. Therefore any call you answer could be legitimate or not.

The answer to that is to give GPs and hospitals your mobile number.

Of course the correct solution to all this is that medical staff should not be using personal phones. The phones they use should be using a presentation number so that returned calls go back to a surgery or hospital switchboard.
nick1austin

The answer to that is to give GPs and hospitals your mobile number.Of … The answer to that is to give GPs and hospitals your mobile number.Of course the correct solution to all this is that medical staff should not be using personal phones. The phones they use should be using a presentation number so that returned calls go back to a surgery or hospital switchboard.

^^^^
This illustrates your lack of understanding of of how the NHS works. It is common practice for them to dial from a number withheld number.
Original Poster
nick1austin

The answer to that is to give GPs and hospitals your mobile number.Of … The answer to that is to give GPs and hospitals your mobile number.Of course the correct solution to all this is that medical staff should not be using personal phones. The phones they use should be using a presentation number so that returned calls go back to a surgery or hospital switchboard.

Well not really as my mobile signal is not great as already mentioned, medical calls are only one reason that can't block all withheld numbers, still have calls coming through relating to charity and other things.
WoolyM

This illustrates your lack of understanding of of how the NHS works. It … This illustrates your lack of understanding of of how the NHS works. It is common practice for them to dial from a number withheld number.

I understand perfectly how medical staff work. Just because it's common practice does not make it right. They need to be educated that this practice is not only wrong but entirely unacceptable. They should be using presentation numbers.
nick1austin

I understand perfectly how medical staff work. Just because it's common … I understand perfectly how medical staff work. Just because it's common practice does not make it right. They need to be educated that this practice is not only wrong but entirely unacceptable. They should be using presentation numbers.

Then their numbers would be clogged with multitudes of unnecessary calls.
There are reasons that they operate in the way that they do
WoolyM

Then their numbers would be clogged with multitudes of unnecessary calls.

I don't think you understand how Presentation Numbers work.
I'm gagging for one of these to phone me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions