Groups

How to build a PC is it easy ?

People aleays seem to say "you can build it cheaper yourself" , but how easy is it to do , im thinking of taking the plunge and building a PC, it needs to be quiet that why i have chose a passive games card, i dont play games much so dont need a high end card

Ive been on Ebuyer and chose these components below is there anything else ?

Coolermaster Centurion 5 All Black Case + 550W eXtreme Power Plus PSU 141707 i£69.99

2x Kingston 1GB DDR2 667MHz / PC2-5300 MEMORY CL5 1.8V NON ECC UNBUFFERED 091121 £23.97

Kingston 1GB Kit (2x512MB) DDR2 PC2-5300/667MHz - Non Ecc - Cl5 - 1.8V 091126 £13.00

Optiarc AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA Bare Black Drive - OEM 139414 £15.94

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 (2.2GHz) L2 1MB (2x512KB) Retail Boxed Processor 118226 £39.96

Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM 130454 £51.99

Innovision 3D 7300GT 512MB DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card 125944£29.99

Gigabyte GA M57SLI-S4 SKT AM2 Nvidia MCP55P PCI-E 8Channel audio ATX 113844 £55.36

Cart total inc vat: £300.20

37 Comments

Looks about right. Why the weird RAM configuration though? Only reason I can think of is if you never plan on running a 64bit OS - you'll max out all of your slots @ 3gb if you buy that setup.

Original Poster

Im no expert as i say, i was going to pair 2x1gb and 2x512 to make upto 3gb as vista dosent use more than 3gb does it ?

Forgot to add a os didnt i :thumbsup:

32bit vista will only go up to 3.5gb. If you're planning on running 64bit you can go much higher. Personally I think 64bit support has come a long way since it first came out. Totally up to you which route you'd rather take though.

Building a PC is easy, unless u come across a component that works.

Ensure that the M/board does support the CPU and memory that you are ordering.

I would either stick with 2x1gb chips or splash out for 2x2gb chips and keep 2 slots free just incase.

Original Poster

Im just gonna get Vista 32 bit, what about cables, setting up the motherboard bios etc or will it self configure

thanks for the input folks:thumbsup:

All cables will come with the componts u r ordering.

wolftan;1826995

All cables will come with the componts u r ordering.

not if it's OEM.

you'll need a power cable btw [kettle cable]

might need a heatsink also ?

If you use a strange configuration you will have problems if you want to upgrade and it may actually run slower due to not dual channelling...

Do you like Vista? Can't stand it myself...

ctuk;1827148

might need a heatsink also ?

Nope, it's a retail CPU, it'll have a heatsink

Apologies for hijacking but ..........

My PC came with 4 slots . 2 were taken up with 1GB (2x512MB). To upgrade i bought 2 Crucial 1GB sticks to give me a new total of 3GB. Would it be more efficient to remove the 2x512MB?

wolftan;1826983

Building a PC is easy, unless u come across a component that works.

Or maybe a component that does NOT work !!!! :roll:

Banned

5757alan;1827209

Apologies for hijacking but ..........My PC came with 4 slots . 2 were … Apologies for hijacking but ..........My PC came with 4 slots . 2 were taken up with 1GB (2x512MB). To upgrade i bought 2 Crucial 1GB sticks to give me a new total of 3GB. Would it be more efficient to remove the 2x512MB?

yes

Original Poster

so you cant use all 4 slots for memory in dual channel then ?

Thought it would be bext to have 2x1gb and 2x512 running as dual channel to give 3gb in total ?

Original Poster

RIght done a bit of fiddling, changed the case for a cheaper one and took out the 2x512mb, and added VIsta , how is this looking now guys ?

Total £318

2x Kingston 1GB DDR2 667MHz / PC2-5300 MEMORY CL5 1.8V NON ECC UNBUFFERED 091121 £23.97

Optiarc AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA Bare Black Drive - OEM 139414 £15.94

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket AM2 (2.2GHz) L2 1MB (2x512KB) Retail Boxed Processor 118226 £39.99

Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache - OEM 130454 £51.99

Innovision 3D 7300GT 512MB DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card 125944 9 £29.99

Gigabyte GA M57SLI-S4 SKT AM2 Nvidia MCP55P PCI-E 8Channel audio ATX 113844 £55.36

Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU *SPECIAL OFFER* 135101 £42.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium -SP1- Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 32-bit - English 123052 £58.01

Out of interest. How much would it cost to buy a similar specced p.c. ready built? Bearing in mind that it looks like a monitor is not needed.

A couple of points:

1. HD3450 with what looks like passive cooling here for £25: komplett.co.uk/k/k…333 If that is passive I'd definitely go for it over the older 7300.

2. How quiet does the PC need to be? If you get a passive graphics card but the CPU fan, hard disk and PSU are all operating at their normal noise level will that be fine?

3. What's the reason for not going for Vista64?

EDIT: You can usually build it cheaper yourself if there are specific components you want, if you're just after a 'quiet PC with 2GB of ram and vista' then it could be slightly cheaper to buy it

>People always seem to say "you can build it cheaper yourself" , but how easy is it to do

I have built 3 PCs in the past, but usually left a few years between each one so had to re-learn everything each time. Here are some suggestions and things to be aware of.

First key point, dont rush it. Find a nice quiet day when there is nobody around so you can take your time.

Buy yourself a small toolkit from say Maplins that contains small screwdrivers, tweezers and so on. Building a PC requires loads of different size screws (usually supplied with the case). Something like this:
    maplin.co.uk/mod…3m4

Carefully go through all the screws supplied with the case so you know what they are for (motherboard, hard disk, DVD drive etc).

Use a large table (dining table?) to put all the bits on and gradually build the PC. You will finish up with boxes and plastic bags and cables everywhere.

Put a large saucer or bowl on the table to hold the small parts like screws etc or you wil lose them.

Put the CPU and the memory on the motherboard BEFORE you fix it into the case. You can fit the CPU fan after the motherboard is in place.

The power supply on the PSU with have LOADS of cables, for the motherboard, MOLEX for IDE devices and SATA for SATA devices. You dont use them all, but spend time deciding which is which.

The Case will also have lots of cables, for the power on swich, lights, USB connectors and so on. These all connect to the motherboard, but the cables and connections can be very fiddly, so spend a bit of time making sure you fix the right cables to the right connections.

MAKE SURE YOUR CPU FAN IS PLUGGED IN. Also make sure your Case fans are plugged in. And your graphics card fan if it has one. Before you power on for the first time double check the fans are plugged in. The CPU fan may not spin straight away (during BIOS start up) only when the computer gets going.

Before you fix the hard disk and DVD drives in the case think about their position and make sure the various cables can reach.

Leave the side of the case off when you first power up to make sure all the fans are going. If everything works OK put the side of the case back on to help air circulation.

When you power on for the first time the BIOS should find everything and self configure. The only thing you may need to do is set the DVD drive to be the first boot device so your can install Windows.

I think that is the main things. Anything else you want to know just ask.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;1827653

A couple of points:1. HD3450 with what looks like passive cooling here … A couple of points:1. HD3450 with what looks like passive cooling here for £25: http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=345333 If that is passive I'd definitely go for it over the older 7300.2. How quiet does the PC need to be? If you get a passive graphics card but the CPU fan, hard disk and PSU are all operating at their normal noise level will that be fine?3. What's the reason for not going for Vista64?EDIT: You can usually build it cheaper yourself if there are specific components you want, if you're just after a 'quiet PC with 2GB of ram and vista' then it could be slightly cheaper to buy it

1. Thanks will have a look
    2. I want it to be really quiet as its going in the living room
    3. Most drivers etc are for 32bit arnt they ?

As for buying a PC ive currently got a Dell Vostro and it isnt very quiet to be honest ,my last PC was a Targa from Lidl and you could hardly hear it, trouble with buying is its all non standard kit mostly, if i self build at least i can pick quiet components or add a quiet cooler etc, thanks my thinking anyway

Original Poster

guilbert53

think that is the main things. Anything else you want to know just ask.

Thanks good post :thumbsup:

Original Poster

dcx_badass;1827515

Not sure sorry.Just noticed at the op, don't build that PC, if you're … Not sure sorry.Just noticed at the op, don't build that PC, if you're building one definately go for Intel's core 2 duo, its much better value, for speed and performance.

I always thought AMD's were alot cheaper, upon looking the Intels are not that much more, will have another look, thanks

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z106/emasu/compooper.png

Good, solid system with a mobo that has all connections possible, good ram and a good GFX card (Ive got it)

I can give you links to parts better then that for a better price if you PM me.

I have been wanting to build a pc for ages, i might give this a go, if its sucessful, then will give it to my boys to use!

It's alot cheaper to buy a computer than it is to build. For instance just look at this recently posted.. hotukdeals.com/ite…-t/ .and you get a monitor too... It just seems pointless building a computer these days in my opinion.

£302 for the following:

AMD5600XP with 1x2mb cache
    Nforce 520 Mobo with 6 channel audio
    4Gb DDR2 800Mhz OCZ memory
    Asus 2400Pro 256Mb ATI GPU (silent with HDCP)
    20xDVD Burner SATA
    500Gb Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm with 32Mb Cache
    Casecom Midi case
    500 Watt PSU

I make a lot for mates or point them in the right direction cos i get p*ssed off with Shops ripping people off. Hope that helps

I would do it as a project not because its easier to go buy one, technically i dont need one but im thinking about for my boys as my son starts 2ndry school this yr. Im gonna go for a mega basic one but make sure it has what i need it to do.

Just doing research myself. I'm looking to build a HTPC for myself over the next few weeks, simply because the off the shelves one are usually very underpowered and inflated price wise, plus i think it would actually be very theraputic to use up a lazy afternoon to put one together.
    Let us know how you get on.

dcx_badass;1828304

Cheap, but its worth the extra to go Core 2 Duo.

I can see where your coming from for Intel at Quad Core but for Dual Core AMD is just as good as Intel depending on what your doing on it. A lot of games work better on AMD and a lot work better for Intel, same with DTP & Media packages. It all depends on who was developing the software. The reason at dual core I would go AMD is I would rather use ATI GPU as they run cooler then Nvidia and the AMD + ATI combined work better then Intel + Nvidia or Intel + ATI due to the dirvers and the fact there both the same company, so should only get better.
    I am a games Producer for a big company so have a lot of dealing in the game side and can def see advantages for both.

dcx_badass;1827394

Actually no, as long as you read the manual and the sticks are in the … Actually no, as long as you read the manual and the sticks are in the right slots then it's fine.Dual channel works in pairs, so aslong as both 512s are in paired slots and both 1gbs are in paired slots then its perfectly fine.

Thanx - :thumbsup:

How about this for an alternative ...
    Here is an example build for an Intel based 'media-centre' Prices from from overclockers.

Core 2 Duo E2200 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.20GHz (800FSB) - Retail £47.99
    Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD ATI Micro ATX (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £57.99
    Pioneer DVR-215DBK 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM £16.99
    Antec NSK 2480 Desktop Case - 380W Earth Watts PSU £57.99
    OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 (OCZ2P800R22GK) £24.99
    Maxtor Diamondmax 22 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (STM3500320AS) £44.99
    Sub Total : £250.94
    (This can be changed during checkout) Shipping : £9.95
    VAT is being charged at 17.5% VAT : £45.66
    Total : £306.55

The motherbord has really good graphics capabilities (for onbord graphics), so no need for a graphics card (allthough you can add one later if you wanted.) Powerfull enough to play most games and hi-definition video. The RAM is nice & fast & the CPU can be overclocked if needed. (2.2ghz is enough to play wmv-hd videos) IMO, this would be a faster system for the same money. (a 2.2Ghz Core2 outperforms a 2.2Ghz Athlon)

guilbert53;1827676

Buy yourself a small toolkit from say Maplins that contains small … Buy yourself a small toolkit from say Maplins that contains small screwdrivers, tweezers and so on. Building a PC requires loads of different size screws (usually supplied with the case). Something like this:http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=35500&doy=3m4

Hmm, I've always found the screws to be pretty much the same size with things like PCI screws, drive screws and motherboard screws all requiring the same sized screwdriver (although they tend to prefer flat rather than pointy headed crosshead screwdrivers). There is the occasional exception, my current case is acrylic and finished with large flathead brass screws.

deanos;1827838

1. Thanks will have a look2. I want it to be really quiet as its going in … 1. Thanks will have a look2. I want it to be really quiet as its going in the living room3. Most drivers etc are for 32bit arnt they ?As for buying a PC ive currently got a Dell Vostro and it isnt very quiet to be honest ,my last PC was a Targa from Lidl and you could hardly hear it, trouble with buying is its all non standard kit mostly, if i self build at least i can pick quiet components or add a quiet cooler etc, thanks my thinking anyway

I think that's a good reason for building a PC. I've never had a PC in the living room so I can't comment on how quiet it needs to be. £300 is probably not enough to do a really good job of it, you could spend that on the case alone but I'd check your other components and make sure they've got low decibel ratings, ideally they'd be under 20db. Larger diameter fans also tend to be quieter as they move the same amount of air at a lower speed.

Do you know about ]Quiet PC? It might be a good place to look for ideas.

Regarding vista I wouldn't limit yourself to 32-bit if you do want 4GB or more of memory. All the components being sold now, more than a year after vista came out, should support 64-bit and you're not likely to be connecting many legacy peripherals to a media center PC (printers etc.)

Original Poster

Ive had a rethink and its probably easier if i just get a new motherboard and case and transplant all my Vostro bits into it, i can then ensure i get a quiet PSU & CPU fan, what do you guys think ?

Thinking about it if i transplant the hard drive will vista still work ?

Building a computer is easy, just be carefull with static energy, try keep your arm/hand/wateva on the metal case to stop you damaging components on ur pc (u can also get these strap things that go on ur arm and connect 2 the pc case)

deanos;1836539

Ive had a rethink and its probably easier if i just get a new motherboard … Ive had a rethink and its probably easier if i just get a new motherboard and case and transplant all my Vostro bits into it, i can then ensure i get a quiet PSU & CPU fan, what do you guys think ?Thinking about it if i transplant the hard drive will vista still work ?

Usually It's recommended that you reinstall the OS when you're changing motherboard, and with vista you may have the additional problem of having to reactivate it due to hardware changes (assuming it's a retail copy in the first place, if it's an OEM and it deems the computer is different enough to be a seperate computer then you might need a new copy).

You should be able to replant your bits including motherboard into a new case if they fit and just get a new PSU and some quiet heatsinks.

I was thinking of building my own PC as my current system is now 3+ years old and out of warranty. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use my current Dell Dimension case to fit components or would I have to buy a new case as well? I quite like the look of my current case but if I buy a new motherboard, i'm not sure it'll fit.

A quick check is the open it up and see how many PCI/PCI-E/AGP slots you've got and whether there are any mounting holes. That'll tell you if it's standard whether or not you can use full sized ATX boards or are limited to mATX ones.

You could also check the system specs, it might even tell you if the case is compatible with other boards.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …152367
      2. Any PS4 News Here29213641
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1743
      4. Your dream gaming set up?1121

See more discussions