Groups

How to buy a domain ?

Banned
    I am trying to buy a domain to business use. It is available as .co.uk for £5.98 for 2 years.

What happens after two years ?

5 Comments

you would have to renew it

You have the option of renewing it again.

Original Poster Banned

kyalion;6517342

You have the option of renewing it again.

with the same company or i can move it ?

both

gR8_mUndA;6517370

with the same company or i can move it ?

Note that OWNING a domain name is not the same as getting someone to host it.

When you buy a domain name you normally buy it VIA a companies web site, but the organization who actually holds the registration is called nominet. (note you DONT contact nominet directly yourself). At this point you only actually own the domain NAME.

nominet.org.uk/

Once you own a domain name you then need to find someone to host it (hold the actual web pages).

This can be the same company whose web site you used to register it, or another totally different company.

At the end of two years Nominet (probably via the ISP you registered it with) will tell you you need to renew it or you will lose it, so you pay your £10 or whatever it is, and you own it for another two years.

The actual HOSTING of the site can be move around each year if you want, so you can host the site anywhere you like.

Here for example is where you would buy a DOMAIN name on the 123reg web site.

123-reg.co.uk/dom…es/

You could then ask them to host it as well (see web hosting), or go to another company and ask them to host it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…11
      2. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      4. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134

See more discussions