How to cancel Sky subscription

Found 24th Sep 2017
I've decided that I would like to find a cheaper deal for tv, internet and phone than I currently have with Sky. I'm paying £62.64 a month at the moment for the Variety tv bundle (Sky+HD Box), Sky Fibre Unlimited and Sky Talk Anytime Extra. My 12 month contract expired last week but they sent me an email to say that as a goodwill gesture they were extending the monthly payments that I am currently paying, for an extra year but that there would be no new contract involved.

When I clicked on the link to say that I would like to leave Sky, I clicked on 'other reason' and explained why, a message appeared on my PC screen offering me half price Sky Fibre Unlimited for £10 a month, however, that is what I have been currently paying for the past year. I have not had any email or confirmation from Sky about my wanting to leave, nor have had any messages through saying when my services would end.

I'd really like to stay with Sky if they could give me a reduction in what I am currently paying, especially seeing that 2 of my children have now left home and I have less money to pay the bills, etc. Can somebody advise me about how I could try to get a better offer from them please? Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Phone them

/thread
cdm224 m ago

Phone them/thread

I realise that you can phone them, but somebody mentioned a while ago (but I can't find the post now), that just by phoning them was not the best way to get a cheaper deal, there were several things that you had to do before a good deal was possibly offered to you.
Cancel anyway you wish and wait for them to call you or send you an offer, this should happen within a few weeks after your line has disconnected and if it does not then you call them.
I cancelled last July over the phone, two weeks later I got a call offering 12 months half price on a 12 month contract.

With a bit more pushing, I managed to get the 12 minimum part removed.

However, make sure you get someone else to also hear any deals they offer to make sure that you're not mis-hearing/have a witness as they charge £10 to hear the recording (you get it back if you are correct).
tech347525 m ago

I cancelled last July over the phone, two weeks later I got a call …I cancelled last July over the phone, two weeks later I got a call offering 12 months half price on a 12 month contract.With a bit more pushing, I managed to get the 12 minimum part removed.However, make sure you get someone else to also hear any deals they offer to make sure that you're not mis-hearing/have a witness as they charge £10 to hear the recording (you get it back if you are correct).

When you cancelled over the telephone, how soon was it before your services were cut off? Is it 30 days notice? I'm hoping that they make me an offer before everything is cut off, as I use the internet for my work.
Sophiasky1 h, 1 m ago

When you cancelled over the telephone, how soon was it before your …When you cancelled over the telephone, how soon was it before your services were cut off? Is it 30 days notice? I'm hoping that they make me an offer before everything is cut off, as I use the internet for my work.

30 days.

Worst case I believe you can stop the cancellation before that happens.

Another option is to begin switching ISPs but make sure you have a switch date set for after the 30 days.

I once cancelled an ISP switch and it was ok as long as it was before the actual switchover.

Or you could maybe just cancel Sky TV and see what offer they give at the time.
Sophiasky1 h, 21 m ago

When you cancelled over the telephone, how soon was it before your …When you cancelled over the telephone, how soon was it before your services were cut off? Is it 30 days notice? I'm hoping that they make me an offer before everything is cut off, as I use the internet for my work.

30 days notice is required to cancel.

Phone them, state your happy with there service but you are looking to save on your outgoings and are looking at other providers.

They may offer you a better deal there and then, if not give them 30 days notice to cancel.

Meanwhile, search for other providers, you may just find a better deal, be patient, you have 30 days to do this, if Sky don't call back within the 30 day period with an offer to tempt you to stay then either ;

go ahead and change to another provider (if you've searched then you will have one in mind),

OR call SKY back and ask them to cancel the contract cancellation and you wish to stay with them.
Cancel. You don't miss it in the end. And you will be so much better off.
Ring and just say you want to start your 30day notice for cancellation. A few days later go here and speak with the live chat team

secure.sky.com/mys…sky
They should be able to beat what you’re currently paying
Simply ring them and tell them you want to leave. Mention the dew that's online and if they'd ay it's online only tell them you've never received a confirmation.

To by fair £63 is ludicrous do you really what all them extra sky channels above the normal cheap package and the broadband fibre isn't needed I have standard and it works perfectly for streaming and gaming online. Talk anytime extra is a rip off you can just use a giff gaff sim for 1/2 the price.
Say you want to cancel and they’ll end up giving you some good offers. I did the same thing.
Just went through on-line (not the chat feature) and said that I wanted to leave (gave my reasons), however, a message came up on the screen offering me 10% off of my tv package for 18 months. Tried doing the same with the broadband, gave my reasons but then said to call or chat on-line, however, I have decided to wait to see if they contact me again seeing that I have not taken up the 10% offer (if I don't call or chat on-line). Obviously, if I don't get a phone call, I'll have to ring them in a couple of days.

Out of interest, can people give me some idea as to what they are paying for tv, broadband and phone (just finished my first year's contract as a new customer)? I'm paying £62.24 a month for the Variety tv package (have a 10-year-old son, so need the children's channels), Sky Fibre Unlimited and Sky Talk Anytime Extra. Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions