How to cancel Virgin Media?

Found 11th Aug 2017
I'm only a couple of months into a new contract for broadband, phone and tv.
Been having lots of 'area problems' every day for a week, resulting in loss of service to broadband at least once or twice a day.
There were similar problems a month ago on and off every few days.

I spoke to Virgin Media customer services and asked if I could leave, but they said there would be a penalty because the problems haven't gone on for more than 24hrs per instance. They also said some other mumbo jumbo about SNR (signal noise ratio or somesuch) being excluded from their liability.
They also said they can't refund any line rental as the faults have 'only' lasted 6 or 7 hours at most each time (regardless of those faults occurring every day for a week).
Basically, I have to see out the rest of my 9 or 10 months and cannot leave without paying up for the remainder of the contract.

Does anyone here have any experience of this kind of thing and can suggest any relevant legislation I can cite to their customer services so I am allowed to leave for free?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I'm sure there is a price rise soon, you can use this to get out of the contract. Look out for a letter
That^
Dannyrobbo2 h, 41 m ago

I'm sure there is a price rise soon, you can use this to get out of the …I'm sure there is a price rise soon, you can use this to get out of the contract. Look out for a letter

November. moneysavingexpert.com/new…ike
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo2 h, 48 m ago

I'm sure there is a price rise soon, you can use this to get out of the …I'm sure there is a price rise soon, you can use this to get out of the contract. Look out for a letter

Oh gosh, I spoke to them last week near the start of the problems and they gave me a discount equivalent to the price rise for the next 6 months.
Does that mean I am committed?
Raise a complaint and refuse to close it until you're 100% happy with the stability, if it still has issues then you have the right to seek alternative resolution via the ombudsman.

When they ask what resolution you want from the complaint, state you want the contract removed so you can stay or leave if you wish.
If they stopped giving millions to Usain Bolt perhaps they wouldn't have to increase our subs so regularly
Destard16 h, 36 m ago

Oh gosh, I spoke to them last week near the start of the problems and they …Oh gosh, I spoke to them last week near the start of the problems and they gave me a discount equivalent to the price rise for the next 6 months.Does that mean I am committed?

If you get a letter about the price rise you can cancel no matter how long is left
There is something that bugs me on the cancellation info page:

virginmedia.com/sho…tml

"On an offer?

If you are on a promotional offer we will honour it. Some of your increase may therefore happen at the end of your promotional offer."

Now I am looking to get out and this would have been a good excuse but I am 6 months into a 12 month deal - last time they pumped the price up they just upped my bill by £2.99 anyway but applied the same discount as I got before, allowing me to leave.

But with that wording it looks like they might keep the price the same, meaning my easy get out clause is gone! (I'm moving house and they don't supply) Although them saying "some" of the increase does give me a bit of hope.

I still await any email from them - has anyone else in the first 12 months had confirmation that their bill is going up on 1st Nov?
Edited by: "meherenow" 15th Aug 2017
Original Poster
meherenow36 m ago

There is something that bugs me on the cancellation info …There is something that bugs me on the cancellation info page:http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/campaigns/experiencemore.html"On an offer? If you are on a promotional offer we will honour it. Some of your increase may therefore happen at the end of your promotional offer."Now I am looking to get out and this would have been a good excuse but I am 6 months into a 12 month deal - last time they pumped the price up they just upped my bill by £2.99 anyway but applied the same discount as I got before, allowing me to leave.But with that wording it looks like they might keep the price the same, meaning my easy get out clause is gone! (I'm moving house and they don't supply) Although them saying "some" of the increase does give me a bit of hope.I still await any email from them - has anyone else in the first 12 months had confirmation that their bill is going up on 1st Nov?

Yes. Got an email on 2nd August confirming the price is going up by £3.99 from November.
Destard48 m ago

Yes. Got an email on 2nd August confirming the price is going up by £3.99 …Yes. Got an email on 2nd August confirming the price is going up by £3.99 from November.

Cool. Couldn't have come at a better time for me as we are moving to a new build in a couple of months and they haven't bothered to cable it up even though it's still in the same area!

FTTP right enough, so that'll have to do
Destard15th Aug

Yes. Got an email on 2nd August confirming the price is going up by £3.99 …Yes. Got an email on 2nd August confirming the price is going up by £3.99 from November.

Any chance you could forward it or screenshot ? Not even a month in and they want a increase of £3.99, I always vote with my feet in these circumstances.
Edited by: "seaniboy" 18th Aug 2017
I've still had nothing yet, hopefully it will come for my easy way out.

Anyone else got the price increase email/letter when in the first 12 months on a deal?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants