Found 14th Oct 2008
as above?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

No idea but hi! how are you?

Original Poster Banned

lol - hey you, long time no see, im good thanks, hows you? any news on your grandchild yet?

do you mean your "SASSIE" name?

Original Poster Banned

blackpeppa;3191455

do you mean your "SASSIE" name?

no the name of my computer

Start>control panel>system icon>computer name tab

Hey presto job done ......... :thumbsup:

sassie;3191446

lol - hey you, long time no see, im good thanks, hows you? any news on … lol - hey you, long time no see, im good thanks, hows you? any news on your grandchild yet?

mmm where have you been? she was born last Monday Isabella-I posted a pic on here somewhere....she was 8and a half pounds and is gorgeous!!!

Banned

smithyp1;3191480

Startcontrol panelsystem iconcomputer name tabHey presto job done … Start>control panel>system icon>computer name tabHey presto job done ......... :thumbsup:

^^^^

Windows Vista
To change your computer's name in Windows Vista:

From the Start menu, open the Control Panel, and then double-click the System icon. Alternatively, right-click the Computer icon, and from the menu that appears, select Properties.

In the System window that appears, in the lower-middle right of the window, click Change settings. In the dialog box that appears, click Continue.

A new panel will open. Click Change... . You will see your computer's name listed.

In the space marked "Computer Name:", delete what is there and type the name you want to give your computer.

Click OK, then OK again, and then close the System window.

Windows XP
To change your computer's name in Windows XP:

From the Start menu, open the Control Panel, and then double-click the System icon. Alternatively, right-click the My Computer icon, and from the menu that appears, select Properties.

You will see the System Properties window. At the top of the window, click the Computer Name tab.

Click Change... . You will see your computer's name listed.

In the space marked "Computer Name:", delete what is there and type the name you want to give your computer (at IU, this is usually your Network ID username). Click OK.

sassie;3191461

no the name of my computer

just start using ur other name for it, ie get up and get a drink but before u go, say sumfin like "ill brb luke, just getting a drink" at first ur pc will b like "wtf whos luke" but after a while itl know that uve changed its name, hope ive helped.

acecatcher3;3191487

just start using ur other name for it, ie get up and get a drink but … just start using ur other name for it, ie get up and get a drink but before u go, say sumfin like "ill brb luke, just getting a drink" at first ur pc will b like "wtf whos luke" but after a while itl know that uve changed its name, hope ive helped.

lol like it:thumbsup:

acecatcher3;3191487

just start using ur other name for it, ie get up and get a drink but … just start using ur other name for it, ie get up and get a drink but before u go, say sumfin like "ill brb luke, just getting a drink" at first ur pc will b like "wtf whos luke" but after a while itl know that uve changed its name, hope ive helped.

omg you're as mad as me !

Original Poster Banned

THANKS guys, all sorted

louloo - so sorry i missed your thread xxxx

sassie;3191613

THANKS guys, all sortedlouloo - so sorry i missed your thread xxxx

aww no problem-i was more concerned where you were:?

Original Poster Banned

its still there, when i go into
C:\Documents and Settings\**********\My Documents\My Pictures\ the stars are my name

supermod

Sassie, I might be wrong, but the name you assign your computer when you first turn it on & register all the software etc can't be changed. You can change your user name but not the name initally assigned to PC. It's the one that's automatically listed on all your licence agreements etc

I've recently got 2 new laptops & I'm sure there was some info about it on the boot up screen when you first switch on a new PC. It's different to your user name though. It's the assigned computer name if you see what I mean, that applies no matter which user is logged on. If that's what you're asking ?

I know I looked into it because I wanted to change mine, & then found I couldn't.

I'm rambling again, & probably talking rubbish ;-)

Original Poster Banned

oh fliiping flop, damn and carbunkles

supermod

sassie;3198406

oh fliiping flop, damn and carbunkles

If you find out otherwise let me know. When i got my PC I thought I'll just call it Mam for mam's PC & change it later. Didn't realise I'd be stuck with it - didn't make that mistake on later ones :roll: So believe me you're not the only one that wants to change it ;-)

I found it let me edit the name & save it & everything seemed okay, but then it would just go back to the default name again. Drove me insane & I gave up in the end.

Original Poster Banned

sigma;3198473

If you find out otherwise let me know. When i got my PC I thought I'll … If you find out otherwise let me know. When i got my PC I thought I'll just call it Mam for mam's PC & change it later. Didn't realise I'd be stuck with it - didn't make that mistake on later ones :roll: So believe me you're not the only one that wants to change it ;-)

cheers hun, if i find anything i will let you know, thats of course if i dont blow the bleedin thing up :oops:

Control Panel > User Accounts.

The name in that file name structure refers to the User Account name and not the computers name. You can change the name in the User Accounts wizard I believe.

Although this will not change the name in the file structure ("C:\Documents and Settings\**********\My Documents\My Pictures\ "). You will have to make a new user account with the right name and delete the old one to do this. Obviously create the new one first, move all the documents over, delete the old one etc.

Changing the actual user account name using the wizard is merely cosmetic, changing it behind the scenes requires a backup and delete unfortunately.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?43
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...88
    3. Driving anxiety.1517
    4. Xbox Newbie34

See more discussions