How to change your energy supplier (gas/ elec) for free even if you potentially would have to pay punitive early cancellation charges, courtesy Bulb Energy

Found 24th Oct 2017
Some of us got stuck with expensive gas/ electricity deals - don't worry, change it, takes 5 mins on a comparison site such as Uswitch.

But - oh no! - they're going to charge me £60 to cancel my contract early. £30x 2.

How can I get round this?

Here's how. Switch to Bulb Energy - in itself a reputable, green and fairly cheap supplier. They'll pay your exit penalties for you. bulb.co.uk/

Get some money from MSE for switching as well - see my link.

Stay with them, if you like - or just look around for a better deal after a couple of months.
Community Updates
Misc
9 Comments
Thanks for sharing
Bulb is £50 cheaper a year but is a variable tariff, compared to Engie which is fixed tariff to 2019 for me. I'll stick with Engie as I just switched.
Edited by: "splender" 25th Oct 2017
OP, you ought to state Bulb is a variable tariff. They don't offer fixed tariffs.
splender8 h, 52 m ago

Bulb is £50 cheaper a year but is a variable tariff, compared to Engie …Bulb is £50 cheaper a year but is a variable tariff, compared to Engie which is fixed tariff to 2019 for me. I'll stick with Engie as I just switched.

You’re correct, but they could still be a useful gateway to save on exit fees from current supplier, A’s Bulb don’t seem to charge an exit fee to leave and pay your current exit fees if due. I can’t seem to find any minimum term in their terms and condit
Or change to your current suppliers standard tarriff. That has no exit fees and no fee to change too.
Then move the next day. I know 6 weeks to change.
I looked at loads of suppliers and the reviews of their customer service, and chose Octopus Energy. So far I'm delighted, their customer service has been great

Once you sign up, you can refer friends, for a very small referral bonus. So that you don't think I'm pimping for them, I'm not posting my referral link here.
speculatrix1 h, 7 m ago

I looked at loads of suppliers and the reviews of their customer service, …I looked at loads of suppliers and the reviews of their customer service, and chose Octopus Energy. So far I'm delighted, their customer service has been great Once you sign up, you can refer friends, for a very small referral bonus. So that you don't think I'm pimping for them, I'm not posting my referral link here.

If I weren't pimping I wouldn't have mentioned my referral link at all
deeky8 h, 47 m ago

If I weren't pimping I wouldn't have mentioned my referral link at all

I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that if others sign up, they should do so one by one so they can refer other. It's only fifteen pounds I think.
speculatrix14 h, 14 m ago

I looked at loads of suppliers and the reviews of their customer service, …I looked at loads of suppliers and the reviews of their customer service, and chose Octopus Energy. So far I'm delighted, their customer service has been great Once you sign up, you can refer friends, for a very small referral bonus. So that you don't think I'm pimping for them, I'm not posting my referral link here.

Just checked them out as my special tariff ends soon they look like the best option for me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants