Groups

How to check "Total Space" in Android Phone

In S4 Mini-8GB phone, the Settings - Storage, says Total Space = 8GB.
    In my Moto G-16GB phone, the Settings - Storage, says Total Space = 12.92GB (Instead of 16GB).
    I understand some space goes for Android System.

Is there a app which shows complete 'Total Space' 16GB in Moto G?

26 Comments

Original Poster

. . . . . . . . . . . Moto G . . . . . - - - . . . . . . . S4 Mini
    https://s21.postimg.org/glenb4dp3/Moto_G.png - - https://s18.postimg.org/fgpjykku1/S4_Mini.png

Edited by: "raj75" 7th Nov 2016

Install a file manager app. That will show you what's in the memory.

Original Poster

wayners

Install a file manager app. That will show you what's in the memory.

any link to the app?

Install a file manager app. That will show you

Latest hot uk deal app update is a bit naff. Gone a bit strange... Anyway. Try this file manager play.google.com/sto…er2

Original Poster

wayners

Latest hot uk deal app update is a bit naff. Gone a bit strange... … Latest hot uk deal app update is a bit naff. Gone a bit strange... Anyway. Try this file manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

Thanks.. I will give it a try now.

Settings: memory and storage. This is the same on every single device I've used with Android OS.

raj75

-

​It says it in the photo. Just read what it says on the screen!

Original Poster

itsdavidjones1984

Settings: memory and storage. This is the same on every single device … Settings: memory and storage. This is the same on every single device I've used with Android OS.

I have checked many devices.. Moto G, Alcatel devices doesn't provide complete size (i.e without Android System). Samsung, LG devices mention the complete size.

Original Poster

itsdavidjones1984

What's that you are seeing the photo?

Original Poster

wayners

Latest hot uk deal app update is a bit naff. Gone a bit strange... … Latest hot uk deal app update is a bit naff. Gone a bit strange... Anyway. Try this file manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

Thanks, Installed the app. But can't find anywhere it says full 16GB.

You should be able to see a breakdown of whats in the memory for each folder/category. ​Also total storage. How much is used, and how much is free

Original Poster

wayners

You should be able to see a breakdown of whats in the memory for each … You should be able to see a breakdown of whats in the memory for each folder/category. ​Also total storage. How much is used, and how much is free

That's fine.. Are you able see it mentions the Phones Actual Storage size, e.g 8GB, 16GB or 32GB.

itsdavidjones1984

​Top pic shows memory and available at the top. The bottom one shows memory at the top and the available at the bottom.

itsdavidjones1984

​Top pic shows memory and available at the top. The bottom one shows m … ​Top pic shows memory and available at the top. The bottom one shows memory at the top and the available at the bottom.

​Or to make it simple. Just take the total memory and deduct system memory. That would give you the available memory after the OS

Original Poster

itsdavidjones1984

​Top pic shows memory and available at the top. The bottom one shows m … ​Top pic shows memory and available at the top. The bottom one shows memory at the top and the available at the bottom.

I am trying to see anywhere it says 16GB.

If you go to android settings . Scroll down to about phone you will see there the size of phone memory. 8gig 16gig ect. The file manager will show you total storage you have. I have 17.3 gig free of a total of 25.7gig. My phone is a 32gig so take 32gig from 25.7gig will give you the size of my operating system

Original Poster

wayners

If you go to android settings . Scroll down to about phone you will see … If you go to android settings . Scroll down to about phone you will see there the size of phone memory. 8gig 16gig ect. The file manager will show you total storage you have. I have 17.3 gig free of a total of 25.7gig. My phone is a 32gig so take 32gig from 25.7gig will give you the size of my operating system

On Moto G the 'About Phone' doesn't say 16GB. Does your phone mention 32GB anywhere?

raj75

I have checked many devices.. Moto G, Alcatel devices doesn't provide … I have checked many devices.. Moto G, Alcatel devices doesn't provide complete size (i.e without Android System). Samsung, LG devices mention the complete size.

It also depends on the version of Android and the Manufacturer skin placed onto each version hence why you see the differences. Even on stock android across the different versions it is reported slightly different. The end user knows what size of a device he bought and is only interested in how much space they available to them hence why most will list excluding the OS space. I take it you are looking this information to sell the device and "prove" capacity, well to put it another way how many devices have you seen advertised as Moto G 12.96gb. Also another advertising thing trying to be passed where they must tell you the available space to the consumer after the OS is installed. ie no point in having a 4gb phone when 3.3gb of that might be OS and not actually available to the end user.
    On stock Android 7.1 it reports also as space available to end user already minus the OS and recovery space. As in my 128gb Nexus 6P shows as 125.12.
    Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 7th Nov 2016

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

It also depends on the version of Android and the Manufacturer skin … It also depends on the version of Android and the Manufacturer skin placed onto each version hence why you see the differences. Even on stock android across the different versions it is reported slightly different. The end user knows what size of a device he bought and is only interested in how much space they available to them hence why most will list excluding the OS space. I take it you are looking this information to sell the device and "prove" capacity, well to put it another way how many devices have you seen advertised as Moto G 12.96gb. Also another advertising thing trying to be passed where they must tell you the available space to the consumer after the OS is installed. ie no point in having a 4gb phone when 3.3gb of that might be OS and not actually available to the end user. On stock Android 7.1 it reports also as space available to end user already minus the OS and recovery space. As in my 128gb Nexus 6P shows as 125.12.

Fine. All I am trying to find, is there an app that shows advertised space?. I always thought it was not possible to see this info without rooting. Then I found Samsung Devices shows this info without rooting. If so, there should be an app which could show advertised space in other phones also?.

I checked different manufactures and OS and their total space displayed.

Moto G - KitKat 4.4.2 - 12.92 GB
    Xperia E3 - KitKat 4.4.2 - 1.75 GB
    ZTE Blade Q - Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - 2.27 GB
    Pixi 3.5" - KitKat 4.4.2 - 1.99 GB
    Pixi 4.5" - Lollypop 5.1 - 4.24 GB
    Smart First 6 - KitKat 4.4.2 - 1.98 GB
    Alcatel Idol3 - Lollypop 5.0.2 - 4.74 GB

LG Joy - KitKat 4.4.2 - 4.00 GB
    LG Leon - Lollypop 5.0.1 - 8.00 GB
    Samsung S4 Mini - KitKat 4.4.2 - 8.00 GB
    Samsung T310 - Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - 16.00 GB
    Smart First 7 - Lollypop 5.1 - 4.00 GB

raj75

Fine. All I am trying to find, is there an app that shows advertised … Fine. All I am trying to find, is there an app that shows advertised space?. I always thought it was not possible to see this info without rooting. Then I found Samsung Devices shows this info without rooting. If so, there should be an app which could show advertised space in other phones also?.I checked different manufactures and OS and their total space displayed.Moto G - KitKat 4.4.2 - 12.92 GBXperia E3 - KitKat 4.4.2 - 1.75 GBZTE Blade Q - Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - 2.27 GBPixi 3.5" - KitKat 4.4.2 - 1.99 GBPixi 4.5" - Lollypop 5.1 - 4.24 GBSmart First 6 - KitKat 4.4.2 - 1.98 GBAlcatel Idol3 - Lollypop 5.0.2 - 4.74 GBLG Joy - KitKat 4.4.2 - 4.00 GBLG Leon - Lollypop 5.0.1 - 8.00 GBSamsung S4 Mini - KitKat 4.4.2 - 8.00 GBSamsung T310 - Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - 16.00 GBSmart First 7 - Lollypop 5.1 - 4.00 GB

Each manufacturer does something different with the android build. With off course the exception of the Nexus/Pixel stock android. On their own mods they have given this program which displays how much is free access to the data folder. Giving this sort of access to something can leave a vulnerability open via said app. Each app more or less runs in its own sandboxed area not able to see each other data by blocking access to that /data folder. By rooting you allow each app access to that data (hence why banking apps don't like rooted devices). So in answer to your question it depends on the devices/os/manufacturer.

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Each manufacturer does something different with the android build. With … Each manufacturer does something different with the android build. With off course the exception of the Nexus/Pixel stock android. On their own mods they have given this program which displays how much is free access to the data folder. Giving this sort of access to something can leave a vulnerability open via said app. Each app more or less runs in its own sandboxed area not able to see each other data by blocking access to that /data folder. By rooting you allow each app access to that data (hence why banking apps don't like rooted devices). So in answer to your question it depends on the devices/os/manufacturer.

So, there is no way to see the advertised space, unless it is shown in 'Settings - Storage'.

raj75

So, there is no way to see the advertised space, unless it is shown in … So, there is no way to see the advertised space, unless it is shown in 'Settings - Storage'.

are you wanting this so you can advertise it for sale or something?
    unless the s4 mini has more than 8gb its probably going against industry convention as its normal for memory to be 'lost' just by pure decimal/binary differences
    you 'lose' 1.1gb or so just by that
    android is another 1.8gb on 5.1 so thats close enough to the difference between 16 and 12.9gb

Original Poster

brilly

are you wanting this so you can advertise it for sale or something?

It's just that I noticed in a Samsung phone it showed advertised space and so thought there has to be an app for MotoG also.

unless the s4 mini has more than 8gb its probably going against industry … unless the s4 mini has more than 8gb its probably going against industry convention as its normal for memory to be 'lost' just by pure decimal/binary differencesyou 'lose' 1.1gb or so just by that

I also wondered the same.. My 1TB Laptop Hardisk space says 907GB.
    So, in the same convention S4 Mini should say 7.45GB. So 8GB could be a hard-coded value!!

Anyway 8.00GB or 7.45GB doesn't matter, as there seems no app to see advertised space in MotoG.

raj75

It's just that I noticed in a Samsung phone it showed advertised space … It's just that I noticed in a Samsung phone it showed advertised space and so thought there has to be an app for MotoG also.I also wondered the same.. My 1TB Laptop Hardisk space says 907GB.So, in the same convention S4 Mini should say 7.45GB. So 8GB could be a hard-coded value!!Anyway 8.00GB or 7.45GB doesn't matter, as there seems no app to see advertised space in MotoG.

Why do you even care about it?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …33
      2. Car park fine UKPC1111
      3. Anyone bought from Tobydeals.com?11
      4. Which SSD drive I need to replace my current HD23

See more discussions